looking for a new GLOCK!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > looking for a new GLOCK!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default looking for a new GLOCK!

Hey guys, im in the market for a new glock withbit being tax season and all. Ive been looking at the 29 for a little while now. From what ive seen the 10mm is an outstanding round. only things im concerned with are 1) loosing velocity from the shorter barrel and 2) recoil from the the smaller gun. So is the velocity lost significant? And would my wife ( 5'5" 135) be ok with shooting the gun..shes shot smaller rounds like the .380 and 9mm. Also, good brand of ammo to shoot out of the gun? I will not be reloading for now but a buddy does reload so I might get into it. Thanks for the in-put ladys and gents

What makes the grass grow?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryadew3468
Hey guys, im in the market for a new glock withbit being tax season and all. Ive been looking at the 29 for a little while now. From what ive seen the 10mm is an outstanding round. only things im concerned with are 1) loosing velocity from the shorter barrel and 2) recoil from the the smaller gun. So is the velocity lost significant? And would my wife ( 5'5" 135) be ok with shooting the gun..shes shot smaller rounds like the .380 and 9mm. Also, good brand of ammo to shoot out of the gun? I will not be reloading for now but a buddy does reload so I might get into it. Thanks for the in-put ladys and gents
That is a lot of recoil. I would let her shoot something like a G23 before going to 10mm. Some girls are tough so maybe she can handle it.
There is a reason people use the G20 for CC over the G29.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #3

And what are you going to be using the ammo for?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
And what are you going to be using the ammo for?
Well mostly paper punching but also some self defence rounds. It wilk probably become my edc.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #5

Quote:

Well mostly paper punching but also some self defence rounds. It wilk probably become my edc.
For paper punching just about anything you can find will work. For self defense Gold Dots always seem to be one of the best.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

For paper punching just about anything you can find will work. For self defense Gold Dots always seem to be one of the best.
Ok ill give a couple of brands a try. Thanks for all the info.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

Another question. Is there any ammo I should not shoot? For example hot loads. Ive read that for the hot loads the recoil spring and barrel should upgraded. Ive also read that the recoil spring should be uped to 21ish pounds for normal ammo....is this something I should go ahead and do or not worry about it as long as im not using hot loads.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #8

Quote:

Another question. Is there any ammo I should not shoot? For example hot loads. Ive read that for the hot loads the recoil spring and barrel should upgraded. Ive also read that the recoil spring should be uped to 21ish pounds for normal ammo....is this something I should go ahead and do or not worry about it as long as im not using hot loads.
I'm not even sure what the 29 has standard. But 21 pounds sounds good for 10mm. With most ammo I'm sure you will be using you will be ok. I'm guessing you are going to use the cheap brass stuff for paper punching. They will not be very hot. Now most gun manufactures recommend you use a stronger spring if you use +p or +p+. This is the really hot stuff. If you are going to be using that then yes I would upgrade. But that's not something you just pop off at the range.

As far as a barrel upgrade. A glock has a unsupported chamber. This is a problem if you reload. It will shorten the life of your brass a lot. I could also see it being a problem for anything close to a max presser load. (Which +p and +p+ are) The riffling in a glock can also be a problem. If you shoot any non jacketed or partial jacketed rounds (soft led tip is partial jacketed) lead will build up in your barrel. This WILL cause your gun to blow up over time. If you plan on reloading or using non jacketed rounds a barrel upgrade is a must.

Now I'm not saying you can not reload with a standard barrel. But if you reuse the brass more than about 4 times its like you are inviting the grim reaper over for dinner. Also I would not reload + brass after shooting it with a standard barrel even once.

Bottom line. If you are using cheap stuff and standard SD ammo you are ok. If you plan on using hot stuff, reloads or non jacketed upgrade.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

I'm not even sure what the 29 has standard. But 21 pounds sounds good for 10mm. With most ammo I'm sure you will be using you will be ok. I'm guessing you are going to use the cheap brass stuff for paper punching. They will not be very hot. Now most gun manufactures recommend you use a stronger spring if you use +p or +p+. This is the really hot stuff. If you are going to be using that then yes I would upgrade. But that's not something you just pop off at the range.

As far as a barrel upgrade. A glock has a unsupported chamber. This is a problem if you reload. It will shorten the life of your brass a lot. I could also see it being a problem for anything close to a max presser load. (Which +p and +p+ are) The riffling in a glock can also be a problem. If you shoot any non jacketed or partial jacketed rounds (soft led tip is partial jacketed) lead will build up in your barrel. This WILL cause your gun to blow up over time. If you plan on reloading or using non jacketed rounds a barrel upgrade is a must.

Now I'm not saying you can not reload with a standard barrel. But if you reuse the brass more than about 4 times its like you are inviting the grim reaper over for dinner. Also I would not reload + brass after shooting it with a standard barrel even once.

Bottom line. If you are using cheap stuff and standard SD ammo you are ok. If you plan on using hot stuff, reloads or non jacketed upgrade.
Great info. I hope you dont mind me picking your brain a bit. Ill probably stick with the standard stuff then move up later on. I will probably get a spring soon though.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:

Great info. I hope you dont mind me picking your brain a bit. Ill probably stick with the standard stuff then move up later on. I will probably get a spring soon though.
It's fine. That's what I'm here for. Learn as much as I can and help when I git the chance.