Looking for a CCW
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

Looking for a CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Default Looking for a CCW

I am looking for a new CCW piece. I am wide open to purchasing any pistol out there. What I am looking for is factual evidence that a glock is better than other firearms out there. I have heard all of the 1911 vs glock crap I don't care about that.

What I want is the (Blank) is better than (Blank) because of A. B. C. ect... Why is a glock better than a sig or a Taurus, smith, Hi-point, ect..... Lets discuss the ups and downs of some different CCE pistols.

What I must have, light weight, has to be a 45acp or a 40 smith (I want to know why you picked one over the other as well) I want affordable under $800 I am not going to sell my kidney to purchase as CCW.

Why did you pick a glock over all the others?

I am not starting a flame war I just want to know more and

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

OK newbie, answer some questions. Why not a 9mm? How are you going to carry - IWB or OWB? What's more important to you, being thin & flat or being short? One thing I will say right now, if you must have a caliber that starts with a "4" - I'd go .45 ACP vs .40 S&W every day. I find the lightwieght .40s very snappy and not that much fun to shoot. I've had the XD subcompact in both 9 and 40, and I didn't have the .40 very long.

One platform I've tried out - and liked - is Kahr. I've had a P9, P40, and P45 and they are thin, flat, compact, and built very well. The long smooth trigger pull is very revolver-like and no safeties are present. You'll see some negative stuff on the early Kahr's but all of them I've owned have been really good reliable guns. I actually had the P40 and P45 at the same time and I took them to the range together on one trip. I shot the P45 much better in rapid fire than the P40 as the muzzle rise was less with the .45 - at least for me.

Tell you the truth, I'm wondering now why I traded them off as I liked them. If I remember right, I traded them away when I began to transition into 1911s. BTW, the "CW" series is an affordable option as they're a few hundred less and the big difference is the front sight is staked on vs dovetailed. (Kahr sells a night sight kit for it now though)...

Old 04-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I chose a Glock first for reliability. Then for both accuracy and price.

I rarely care how a thing looks I care how it looks.

I originally got a .40. I had a hard time choosing between it (G23) and the .45 G30. A year or two later, I shot a coworker's G30. I bought one as soon as I could, and I've been carrying it ever since.

I like Glocks because I shoot them well. I like .45 because I shoot it well and because the recoil is more of a push and less of a snap than the .40.

I like the striker fire system because I like to put some pressure on the trigger before it fires (I like DA revolvers, too) and because I like a gun that has the same trigger pull on the first shot as on all the others. I also like it because you can do without a safety. If I ever need it in an emergency, I just want to pull the gun and pull the trigger.

At the time I was looking, I didn't know anything about M&P or XD. I would have at least looked those over. I have fired both since, and I still prefer the Glock.

It's a near thing with the XD. Some people prefer the grip angle on the XD. I didn't even realize they were different until I read about it somewhere. The XD grips seem just a little slimmer than the Glock, and I like that feel. But I really prefer the trigger on the Glock.

Naturally, a lot of this is personal preference. But you asked, and I hope this was helpful.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I have the XD .45. It fits my hand better than the Glock. You will have to try them both out and see which is better for you...

Life Member NRA

Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #5

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Vintage BHP, trust the old canester on this one!

Looking for a CCW - Glock Forum

Browning High Power, 9mm : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

BROWNING HI POWER 9MM HIGH POWER 1969 BELGUIM : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Browning High Power 9mm Crome& Blue Finish W Box : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Browning Hi Power Silver Chrome 9mm High : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 AM   #6

Cane can i get that in a 40 or 45?

NGIB more than likely it will be an outside or a shoulder holster as I have some spillage (AKA Muffin Top).

Why not 9mm shot it all the time in the military and never cared for it.

I was told by my grandfather that you never get in a gun fight with a gun that the caliber doesn't start with a 4.

I have shot glocks and they all feel odd to me. I have a buddy that puts his life in the hands of Glock everyday. He owns like 7 or 8 of them. Maybe they will feel a little better with the new Gen 4 coming out?

I hae never held or shot a Khar so I will have to get out and look at them.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:06 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post

NGIB more than likely it will be an outside or a shoulder holster as I have some spillage (AKA Muffin Top).

I was told by my grandfather that you never get in a gun fight with a gun that the caliber doesn't start with a 4.

I have shot glocks and they all feel odd to me. I have a buddy that puts his life in the hands of Glock everyday. He owns like 7 or 8 of them. Maybe they will feel a little better with the new Gen 4 coming out?

I hae never held or shot a Khar so I will have to get out and look at them.
I have a new G23 4 Generation. I bought for reliability and price. Not only the initial price. I look at how much it would cost me to change some things like the night sight. I also like the XDm 40 but I found out that they are very hard to change the sights on them. It the Glock feels odd to you, try the XDm.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:54 AM   #8

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Looking for a CCW - Glock Forum

Yes, in 40 but why??

Quote:

Brett, I said the same thing until I got my BHP. I have increased my accuracy ~10% with the first shot, ~30% on the double tap and ~80% on the triple.

With the weight of the steel gun and the 9mm lack of flip, my placement is where I want it. This is my 13+1, fight shooting, go-to gun. I surprise myself with its accuracy and it's just fun to shoot and the plus is the 9mm ammo price.

Don't take my word for it, drive your butt down here and shoot the shit out of it. PM gorknoids and ask him what he thought of my Brownie, or just read my siggy.

Bring your new whistle-pig stick with you and we can do a side-by-side comparison with my MAGNUM P. I. G SOCOM slug gun.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #9

Rican can you tell me the biggest differences between the gen 3 and gen 4 Glocks?

I prefer a 45 acp over all other pistol cartridges. Mainly because I doubt packin a 500 smith revolver as a CCW will be a very good idea.

Bigger is better when I am trying to not DIE.

While in the Army I always wanted the biggest weapon in the Arms room. For the longest time I was the Mk-19 gunner for our company.

What about Sig's I love the looks of the sig Equinox but like somone else said I would rather it work than look good.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
What about Sig's I love the looks of the sig Equinox but like somone else said I would rather it work than look good.
I've owned a number of Sigs and all have been accurate and very reliable. If you like Sig controls, a P229 is a great medium sized gun. I have one in .40 and it's a great shooter. In .45, you have to go to the P220 series and they do make a compact P220 (and the older P245 that you can find used)...

Newest Threads