Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > loaded mags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default loaded mags

Is it anyone's opinion that storing magazines partially full or completely full will wear out the spring over time? I would assume that Glock has addressed this and that many people keep their weapons loaded. Glock is first gun I have owned.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 AM   #2

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I've never owned a glock but have kept my S&W clips loaded for at least a decade without an ill effect.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Long term storage of fully loaded MAGAZINES are not a problem in any autoloader.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got a bucketfull of mags for my G17, and I switch'em around every 3 months, as I have a couple of mags where I have noticed some wear'n'tear. On the other hand those mags are well used as I got'em around 1996....

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 01-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #5

Default Loaded Mags

Stored full, with magazine spring compressed is acceptable. The springs do eventually wear out, but from USE. Compression to fill the mag, relaxation of the spring when firing.

While the spring life is not unlimited, I have several G17 and G21 mags that have been functionong flawlessly since the 80's and 90's. Trust me when I tell you that I do not "baby" my guns!

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

not a glock person but i agree withthe above loaded mag is not a factor in spring wear. what wears springs is the amount of compression and release cycles.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpntex View Post
Is it anyone's opinion that storing magazines partially full or completely full will wear out the spring over time? I would assume that Glock has addressed this and that many people keep their weapons loaded. Glock is first gun I have owned.
First, welcome to the forum. How about stopping by the Introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself.

Second, springs at rest or compressed is not harmful to the spring. Metal tires from use, kinda like working a spoon handle back and forth until it breaks.

To assume any mfr would tackle the issue based on name is an incorrect assumption. Jmo.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
jbd

i have had a glock 23 ten years that the magazines have never been unloaded except while shooting the gun,and i have had no trouble with magazines yet if that tells you anything.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I just recently purchased a Glock 19 for my wife but have had several different pistols over the years and have stored there mags fully loaded for long periods of time. It is nice when you have extra mags that you can swap out every 3 or 4 months.
If you constantly use your mag's you will have to replace the springs in them over a period of time but that is normal wear and tear.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd View Post
i have had a glock 23 ten years that the magazines have never been unloaded except while shooting the gun,and i have had no trouble with magazines yet if that tells you anything.
Exactly. Depend on your Glock magazines as is, and keep them fully loaded, or whatever you think necessary.

Tags
glock, magazines, storage