Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   loaded mags (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/loaded-mags-22672/)

gpntex 01-27-2010 06:49 AM

loaded mags

Is it anyone's opinion that storing magazines partially full or completely full will wear out the spring over time? I would assume that Glock has addressed this and that many people keep their weapons loaded. Glock is first gun I have owned.

The_Kid 01-27-2010 07:02 AM

I've never owned a glock but have kept my S&W clips loaded for at least a decade without an ill effect.

Mark F 01-27-2010 10:47 AM

Long term storage of fully loaded MAGAZINES are not a problem in any autoloader.

MB44 01-27-2010 11:36 AM

I got a bucketfull of mags for my G17, and I switch'em around every 3 months, as I have a couple of mags where I have noticed some wear'n'tear. On the other hand those mags are well used as I got'em around 1996....

allmons 01-27-2010 06:37 PM

Loaded Mags

Stored full, with magazine spring compressed is acceptable. The springs do eventually wear out, but from USE. Compression to fill the mag, relaxation of the spring when firing.

While the spring life is not unlimited, I have several G17 and G21 mags that have been functionong flawlessly since the 80's and 90's. Trust me when I tell you that I do not "baby" my guns!

;)

JonM 01-27-2010 07:32 PM

not a glock person but i agree withthe above loaded mag is not a factor in spring wear. what wears springs is the amount of compression and release cycles.

skullcrusher 01-27-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpntex (Post 219443)
Is it anyone's opinion that storing magazines partially full or completely full will wear out the spring over time? I would assume that Glock has addressed this and that many people keep their weapons loaded. Glock is first gun I have owned.

First, welcome to the forum. How about stopping by the Introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself.

Second, springs at rest or compressed is not harmful to the spring. Metal tires from use, kinda like working a spoon handle back and forth until it breaks.

To assume any mfr would tackle the issue based on name is an incorrect assumption. Jmo.

jbd 01-27-2010 08:15 PM

i have had a glock 23 ten years that the magazines have never been unloaded except while shooting the gun,and i have had no trouble with magazines yet if that tells you anything.

Phelenwolf 01-31-2010 01:21 AM

I just recently purchased a Glock 19 for my wife but have had several different pistols over the years and have stored there mags fully loaded for long periods of time. It is nice when you have extra mags that you can swap out every 3 or 4 months.
If you constantly use your mag's you will have to replace the springs in them over a period of time but that is normal wear and tear.

Ram Rod 02-04-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbd (Post 219696)
i have had a glock 23 ten years that the magazines have never been unloaded except while shooting the gun,and i have had no trouble with magazines yet if that tells you anything.

Exactly. Depend on your Glock magazines as is, and keep them fully loaded, or whatever you think necessary.