Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Leaving the slide locked for storage / mags full

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Leaving the slide locked for storage / mags full

I notice that a lot of people leave their slides locked open while their guns are stored in the case. Honestly, I feel like this would weaken the recoil spring. It's necessary to do this to use the slide lock, also, so I usually just release the slide and let it pinch the lock in the ejection port.

Same deal with mags. I usually keep only 7 rounds in my 10 round mags, 27 in my 30-33 round mags, and I unload them every week to swap for different ones to let the spring relax.

Is this really necessary? I don't think I'll stop doing it this way, just from my gut feeling, and I see everyone else being so lax with their springs.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

This has been covered before by several different people.

The general consensus seems to be that compressing and relaxing the spring is what wears it out, and leaving it compressed or relaxed is perfectly okay. At least that's what folks say about magazines, I would think the same rule applies to recoil springs.

I'm no metallurgist and openly admit that I'm repeating what I've read elsewhere in the forum. I usually don't participate in spring threads because I have no automatics.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #3

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Leaving slides locked open is just a safety procedure, it's easy to tell the pistol is empty. I agree with that Trip said above in regard to springs.

Some people do underload a magazine by one or two but not to lengthen spring life, just to make sure there's no binding that could cause a failure to feed.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Leaving slides locked open is just a safety procedure, it's easy to tell the pistol is empty. I agree with that Trip said above in regard to springs.

Some people do underload a magazine by one or two but not to lengthen spring life, just to make sure there's no binding that could cause a failure to feed.
I never had any failure to feeds. I was rockin and rolling with a belt fed while I was in the service.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

Liked 4454 Times on 2352 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcohio View Post
I notice that a lot of people leave their slides locked open while their guns are stored in the case. Honestly, I feel like this would weaken the recoil spring. It's necessary to do this to use the slide lock, also, so I usually just release the slide and let it pinch the lock in the ejection port.

Same deal with mags. I usually keep only 7 rounds in my 10 round mags, 27 in my 30-33 round mags, and I unload them every week to swap for different ones to let the spring relax.

Is this really necessary? I don't think I'll stop doing it this way, just from my gut feeling, and I see everyone else being so lax with their springs.
leaving mags fully loaded or slides locked back does no damage to the springs. personally i dont leave slides locked back just to keep debris out of the action.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #6

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I never had any failure to feeds. I was rockin and rolling with a belt fed while I was in the service.
Same here, not recommending downloading, just saying some people do it. You hear the stories, load 12 into a 13rd Hi Power mag, 18 or 28 into AR mags.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.