Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Leaving the slide locked for storage / mags full (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/leaving-slide-locked-storage-mags-full-52654/)

wcohio 11-28-2011 05:36 PM

Leaving the slide locked for storage / mags full

I notice that a lot of people leave their slides locked open while their guns are stored in the case. Honestly, I feel like this would weaken the recoil spring. It's necessary to do this to use the slide lock, also, so I usually just release the slide and let it pinch the lock in the ejection port.

Same deal with mags. I usually keep only 7 rounds in my 10 round mags, 27 in my 30-33 round mags, and I unload them every week to swap for different ones to let the spring relax.

Is this really necessary? I don't think I'll stop doing it this way, just from my gut feeling, and I see everyone else being so lax with their springs.

trip286 11-28-2011 05:57 PM

This has been covered before by several different people.

The general consensus seems to be that compressing and relaxing the spring is what wears it out, and leaving it compressed or relaxed is perfectly okay. At least that's what folks say about magazines, I would think the same rule applies to recoil springs.

I'm no metallurgist and openly admit that I'm repeating what I've read elsewhere in the forum. I usually don't participate in spring threads because I have no automatics.

Quentin 11-28-2011 08:27 PM

Leaving slides locked open is just a safety procedure, it's easy to tell the pistol is empty. I agree with that Trip said above in regard to springs.

Some people do underload a magazine by one or two but not to lengthen spring life, just to make sure there's no binding that could cause a failure to feed.

trip286 11-28-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 638332)
Leaving slides locked open is just a safety procedure, it's easy to tell the pistol is empty. I agree with that Trip said above in regard to springs.

Some people do underload a magazine by one or two but not to lengthen spring life, just to make sure there's no binding that could cause a failure to feed.

I never had any failure to feeds. I was rockin and rolling with a belt fed while I was in the service. :)

JonM 11-28-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcohio (Post 638189)
I notice that a lot of people leave their slides locked open while their guns are stored in the case. Honestly, I feel like this would weaken the recoil spring. It's necessary to do this to use the slide lock, also, so I usually just release the slide and let it pinch the lock in the ejection port.

Same deal with mags. I usually keep only 7 rounds in my 10 round mags, 27 in my 30-33 round mags, and I unload them every week to swap for different ones to let the spring relax.

Is this really necessary? I don't think I'll stop doing it this way, just from my gut feeling, and I see everyone else being so lax with their springs.

leaving mags fully loaded or slides locked back does no damage to the springs. personally i dont leave slides locked back just to keep debris out of the action.

Quentin 11-28-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 638349)
I never had any failure to feeds. I was rockin and rolling with a belt fed while I was in the service. :)

Same here, not recommending downloading, just saying some people do it. You hear the stories, load 12 into a 13rd Hi Power mag, 18 or 28 into AR mags.