Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > LeAnn's Glock Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 04:21 AM   #21
Do what you want and not what others want you to do!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1073 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I carry a Glock 35 .40 cal and I love it. Don't listen to some people because you can have a AD with any gun. You just have to remember keep your finger off trigger until you have to use it. There are alot of fan boys that cry alot. The main thing is try alot of guns and you will know what feels right to you. The gun will have to fit you and not anybody elses hands. So we can give you all these "opinions" about what gun to get, but in the end it is up to you on what feels good to you! Glocks are very reliable, easy to maintain, and accurate out of the box.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #22

Liked 16792 Times on 9734 Posts
Likes Given: 43819

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeAnn View Post
Does anyone know about a Glock 9mm. If this a good gun for having it for self defense
LeAnn, i will try to give you my impartial opinions of the Glocks. i have shot many of them over the years and find them to be a very good pistol design that just plain works. simple and effective. personally i have found pistols that fit my hand better than the Glocks, but if a Glock came along at the right price and time, iw ould buy one, because i have confidence in it's design and concept. currently i don't own one, but that could always change.

my suggestion is this, if it fits your hand well and is comfortable, then it could be a good choice for you. try out many different ones and if possible rent some and shoot them. the pistol that fits your hand well is usually the one that you can shoot the most accurately because of control and being able to handle the recoil.

the 9mm used for SD is a good caliber due to lower recoil than other calibers and using a good JHP (jacketed hollow point) ammo will serve it's purpose well. plus side is that 9mm ammo is the usually the cheapest centerfire pistol caliber to shoot. use some FMJ (full metal jacketed) ammo for practice. much cheaper. lower cost of ammo translates into more shooting practice which in turn, will help make you a better shooter.

hope this helps you out. and welcome to the forum.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Here you go LeAnn.

http://www.best9mm.com/

Old 07-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #24

Liked 61 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you are going to carry condition 1 in a purse or some other non-holstered manner, you can put a trigger guard on your Glock. I carry my Glock unchambered and have trained to rack the slide upon draw. This isn't recommended, but I don't shoot myself in the leg either. Safety mechanisms can take as long or longer if you don't train on the draw.

Also, even the 26 is a little chubby and difficult for a female to conceal on the body. There are several under-the-clothing options out there, but I personally would never carry a Glock in condition 1 in that manner.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #25

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeAnn View Post
Does anyone know about a Glock 9mm. If this a good gun for having it for self defense
Welcome to the FTF.

Yes Glocks are great SD pistols, as well as many other brands and styles.

Depending on your training, your likes and needs, will dictate which gun you will need. Please do not buy a Glock with out handling several different guns. I have a Glock and love it as well as several other brands and styles.

Shop around to see what fits your hand and needs, remember revolvers are great too. good luck on your quest for that "Perfect Gun".

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #26

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Glock. You pick the flavor. Easy to operate, and even easier to shoot. The best bang for your self defense buck.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt

Glock. You pick the flavor. Easy to operate, and even easier to shoot. The best bang for your self defense buck.
Holy Brand Loyalty!! Im intrigued by Glock based on reputation and I love the fact that it gets the job done with so little "moving parts" Out of you collection which model had the highest reliability?

Old 07-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #28

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemotte View Post
Holy Brand Loyalty!! Im intrigued by Glock based on reputation and I love the fact that it gets the job done with so little "moving parts" Out of you collection which model had the highest reliability?
Quite honestly, any of them. I've never had a FTF or FTE in anyone of them regardless of the type of ammunition fired. 3 of them are 9 MM. Glock 17, 19, and 26. The other 3 are .45 ACP. 2 Glock 21's, (a standard 21 and a 21-C ported), and a Glock 30. A Glock's simplicity contributes to it's reliability. It's ease of operation contributes to it's safety. No unnecessary buttons, or levers.

Some say a Glock is not safe because it lacks a grip safety. Pure nonsense. A Glock operates on the same exact principal as a double action revolver. It has no safeties, grip or otherwise, and it was the mainstay of police departments and militaries worldwide for almost a century. Show me a shooter that "needs" a safety on a gun, and I'll show you someone I don't want to be around when they are handling one.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #29

Liked 182 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If you've held/shot a Glock and like the feel, there's really no reason to steer you away from the brand. And 9mm is a good choice as well.

Whatever you initially own and invest time into is likely to become what you're most comfortable with. I started with CZ, Sig, and Springfield...so I'm not so hot on Glock's grip angle and trigger. Had I started on a Glock, I might feel very differently.

They're good guns. Simple, reliable, and plenty accurate. I think the $550 (give or take) pricetag seems fair enough as well. And if you become a habitual shooter and discover your preferences point you elsewhere, it's generally quite easy to recover about 80% of your initial investment on a Glock.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #30

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The Glock 19 is a very good choice.

I'm frankly appalled at some of the responses here concerning ND's and Glocks safe action system . A Glock will not go off unless you pull the trigger or the trigger gets pulled. If you are so inept that you don't have enough discipline, or the mental capacity to keep your booger picker off the trigger.... until the target is identified and your ready to engage ....you have no business carrying a firearm...because you are dangerous and obviously untrained.

Last edited by kodiak; 07-18-2012 at 04:28 AM.
People Like This