Lead and Glock ?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

Lead and Glock ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 4583 Times on 2526 Posts
Likes Given: 23276

Default Lead and Glock ?

I don't know much more than I have read about shooting lead through Glocks barrels . Some say no no , too dangerous while others say they have with no issues . What do the masses say ?
MisterMcCool Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
Liked 9703 Times on 5244 Posts
Likes Given: 20217

Glock says no because of the hexagonal rifling.
No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄
dango Likes This 
Old 12-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
Liked 6902 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 519

you could get away with it if you know what lead build up is and looks like through frequent inspection and cleaning.

but i wouldnt do it. lead and hex rifling dont get along.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
dango Likes This 
Old 12-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #4
Liked 1338 Times on 756 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Install a Lone Wolf barrel in your Glock and shoot all the non-jacketed, plated, etc. lead bullets you wish.
People Like This 
Old 12-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
Liked 356 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 64

My son has thousands of rounds of S&S coated lead bullets through his 34 and there is zero leading. He routinely shoots 1,000-1,500 rounds between cleaning. Shoot harder cast bullets that are coated and it shouldn't be a problem.
dango Likes This 
Old 12-29-2014, 12:36 AM   #6
Liked 352 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 169

HK has hexagonal rifling and can shoot lead. Glock: Unsupported chamber, lead build up = Kaboom Stories.

OP: Lots of people shoot lead rounds in their Glocks; you simply buy an another barrel. Consider it a part of the original purchase price, like getting rid of the plastic sights and replacing trigger spring. Use these as bargaining points to reduce your total cost. If all fails, play the 2X4 card and 80's design -this should lower the price.

The Glocks vices are well known but there are many who say it's virtues more than make up for them.
dango Likes This 
Old 12-29-2014, 02:11 AM   #7
Liked 692 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I shoot lead through my Bersa 45. It too has a polygonal barrel and there in lies the problem with lead. I think that if you're shooting hot loads >1100 fps you have an opportunity for leading. In a polygonal barrel, that translate into increased pressures. That can be bad. The lead I shoot from my Bersa is moving at 750-800 fps and leading and performance has never been an issue. good luck
You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member
dango Likes This 
Old 12-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
Liked 855 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Lead bullets are freakin Nasty in all guns, they suck. People always want to go cheap on a fine weapon.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.
dango Likes This 
Old 12-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
Liked 3270 Times on 1641 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
Lead bullets are freakin Nasty in all guns, they suck. People always want to go cheap on a fine weapon.
They do not "suck."
There's a reason that lead wadcutters and semi-wadcutters haven't gone away - it's because they are extremely accurate. Bonus: For target use, they cut nice clean holes for scoring.
Aside from a bit of residue from the lube, they aren't normally that bad if due diligence is used. Leading is caused by improper sized bullets, more than heavy charges.
For those who clean once a year, whether it needs it or not; I can see where cast bullets might be inconvenient.

For Glock? Has anyone messed with the new "Hi-Tek" coated bullets? That seems like it might be a nice way forward.

What is the Hi-Tek coating and how is it applied?
The coating is made in Australia and imported here. We are currently lining to up distribute this coating along with unsized/unlubed bullets so that folks can apply the coating themselves. The coating itself consists of a catalyst which binds a polymeric colorant agent with acetone which is then applied in bulk to raw bullets and baked onto the bullets' surface at nearly 400 degrees. The coating is a polymer (bonded with metal) and forms an extremely tough new surface for the bullet. The application of the coating is repeated for an additional coat. The bullets are then sized normally but not lubricated, as the coating itself acts as bullet lube. Nominal bullet diameter is not affected.
What are the advantages of Hi-Tek coated bullets?
Many indoor ranges prohibit the use of lead bullets but allow the use of coated bullets due to the fact that no lead is exposed to the environment.

Leading of the bore is dramatically reduced, as is lube smoke. Long shooting sessions do not have to be interrupted by bore cleaning.

Higher velocities can be attained with coated bullets.

Health benefits for the reloader, as there is no touching of bare lead.

Reduced force required to seat and crimp because the bullets are slippery.

2-Extreme Hi-Tek catalyst – We use this newest catalyst from the manufacturer because it has superb lubricity. It is well worth the extra cost relative to the standard catalyst. The bullets actually look "wet" and are very slippery. This lubricity reduces friction-related heat as the bullet traverses the bore.

In summary, Hi-Tek coated bullets offer the advantages associated with plated bullets without the expense.
MSgt, USAF, Retired
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 12-29-2014 at 03:57 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 12-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
Liked 4848 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 2451

Every post above is correct, there isn't much left to say. Dango, are you an avid handloader? Because if you are not, it is a moot point. Almost all commercial 9mm ammo is jacketed.
dango Likes This