Lead bullets and Glock barrels
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Lead bullets and Glock barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Lead bullets and Glock barrels

I'm sure you guys have all already discussed this before, but I'm brand new here as of today. I do a bit of reloading and always load cast bullets. Also, I just picked up my first Glock recently (19) and i'm getting conflicting reports on whether I can put my reloads through it. Most say I can't, however last months American Rifleman has an article saying I can. Little help? Please and thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Its ill advised, but thats not saying you cant. The safest option would be to get a replacement barrel (lone wolf, storm lake, etc) if you plan on shooting much cast out of it.
Personally, I have had zero issues with a 17 and a 19 (both gen 3) when shooting cast from the factory barrels. (Several thousand over several yrs) That is not to say your results would be the same. I do not know the hardness of these cast bullets but they are loaded near max. I have never noticed any lead buildup, but I make sure to clean the heck out of it afterwards, just in case.
Congrats on the 19 purchase, you wont regret it.
Normally its best to always side with caution, so logic would say its a good idea to go with a replacement barrel. Less likely to have an issue. Just because I havent had a problem is not to say its the recommended choice.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9567 Times on 4116 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

From the Glock website, under FAQs:

Can I use lead bullets?
No, we recommend the use of jacketed ammunition only.

Problem is, the polygonal rifling is subject to leading more easily than traditional cut rifling. Leaded up bore, jump in pressures. Get a replacement barrel with cut rifling, no problem.

COULD you safely shoot hard cast bullets in your original barrel? Maybe.

As Dirty Harry once said, "You have to ask yourself.....Do you feel lucky? Well.......do ya???"

Me, if the maker told me not to, I tend to listen.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 11-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #4

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts

Skip lead in Glocks. I cracked the feed ramp and shredded the mag on about 100 rounds of lead 45's. Never had any issues with plated bullets.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #5

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
From the Glock website, under FAQs: Can I use lead bullets? No, we recommend the use of jacketed ammunition only. Problem is, the polygonal rifling is subject to leading more easily than traditional cut rifling. Leaded up bore, jump in pressures. Get a replacement barrel with cut rifling, no problem. COULD you safely shoot hard cast bullets in your original barrel? Maybe. As Dirty Harry once said, "You have to ask yourself.....Do you feel lucky? Well.......do ya???" Me, if the maker told me not to, I tend to listen.
The manufacture also says not to shoot reloads. Just sayin

Old 11-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
The manufacture also says not to shoot reloads. Just sayin
Dont they all say that? Lol.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:39 AM   #7

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Probably. I am just saying that what the manual says isn't always gospel.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:47 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Don't do it. If you want to shoot cast lead out of a GLOCK, buy a Lone Wolf barrel for it. Otherwise, you could end up holding this.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Jacketed v. Hard-cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
Also, I just picked up my first Glock recently (19) and i'm getting conflicting reports on whether I can put my reloads through it. Most say I can't, however last months American Rifleman has an article saying I can. Little help? Please and thank you
Back in the late '80's, I had a second gen G22 that I used in the now-defunct ALPS league for two years and shot the Copley, OH police league for a year. I always used 170 gr. truncated cone cast bullets and never had a problem with it. I used a Lewis lead remover on the barrel occasionally and that is all I did for the lead. That said, I like using jacketed bullets and that's all I use now and I would suggest the use of caution with your Glock. Glock stands behind their guns better than some manufacturers but I don't believe I'd tempt fate with your G19.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 11-29-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 339 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 64

My reloading guru and one of the LGS owners I deal with had this conversation the other day. I've been considering a Glock 17/34 for my son for USPSA. He has many Glocks and shoots lead in all of his guns. He has never had a problem including running lead in his .357 sig. He said he pushes those bullets at over 1500fps in a 4" barrel. He either casts his own or uses S&S bullets.

As he points out every manufacturer tells you not to run reloads in your firearm other than Hi Point. He told me it isa myth and if a person does proper maintenance it won't be an issue.