Latest Glock Mishaps - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Latest Glock Mishaps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have been a shooter for 40 years. I grew up around many shooters, and years before I ever held a firearm I knew basic firearm safety. I remember the days when we left our rifles and shotguns on the school buses, so we could go hunting after school. I have never had a neglegent discharge ,Thank God, nor do I ever remember seeing one first hand. I have known several that suffered serious injury, and one teenaged boy that died due to neglegent discharge.Our duty as gun owners is to use common sense, and maintain a higher state of awareness when guns are involved. I know a lot of folks hate Glocks, but I love them. The simplicity makes them perfect for self defense. I have discharged a weapon in self defense, a revolver. I didn't have time to fumble around with safetys. The Glocks make perfect sense to me, with one in the pipe they are ready for business instantly. My Glock is the only semi auto I have ever owned that has never jammed, and I have put more rounds through it than any other. I do own and will own others, but my Glock is a keeper

Old 12-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
'cause self inflicted gun shot wounds are awesome right?
Not at all, it is very serious, but i am grateful to be able to laugh about it now and so is my family. it could have been very serious and i could have been hurt alot worse. i still own that lil glock and it still has blood stains. i have been around guns since i could walk and know safety by heart, but everybody makes poor decisions every know and again cause nobody is perfect. i learned from my mistake and i make sure everyone around me learns from my mistake as well. i still relive that night in my head and still remmeber after i droped the mag, i cleared the chamber, but obvioulsy i didn't and so now i make damn sure of it. when you handle guns and live with guns bad things are always a possibility, i carry mine in hopes that i never have to use it...

Old 12-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #33

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Hey Rentacop, lighten up. I own a half dozen Glocks myself and actually could care less if anyone else doesn’t like them, I dislike Ruger autos myself. I was just commenting that the private security guards were carrying 38's when I left a year ago and wondering who had the SID (shooter induced discharge) and if I knew them. No need to take cover bro I’m not throwing rocks.
I don't know the name of the Guard involved, etc. Sorry I don't have more details.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #34

Default +1 for Buzzard Bait!!!

Agree completely.

I have said it on this site as well as other forums: I am not smart or dextrous enough to keep 1911 platform weapons functioning. In my limited experience, getting through 7 or 8 rounds without a jam or malfunction of some kind is nothing short of a miracle. Introduced to the 1911 in the military, I loved the history and the romance of the Colt classic. All the problems I experienced with the 1911 platform I attributed to 30+ year old military weapons and parts we were forced to use. Later I bought new Colts ( and other makes) and realized that they were just not for me. Could not depend on them to keep me safe.

Yet, with my Glock 17 or 21, I can run 10 or 12 full mags through without a single malfunction. Take them home, it's about 5 minutes to clean them. Hell, I am still using original magazines that came with the guns - when I bought them new in the 1980's!!! Yet the newest 21SF magazines work flawlessly with my older .45 Glock.

I didn't have to learn anything new with the Glock - rack a round into the chamber, top off the mag and you are good to go. Functions just like the old double action revolvers - touch the trigger when you need to fire; don't touch the trigger if you don't want to shoot.

It's all a matter of taste and preference. Don't like 'em, don't carry 'em. I love all guns, own a few but mainly carry the Glocks in one form or another. And I feel completely safe with the knowledge that if I pull the trigger, it WILL go bang. Every flippin' time.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #35

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Allmons,

If you have old version glock mags, check with Glock, I just sent 2 21 mags back for my Chief and they replaced them free of charge because they were old ones (right now I can't remember if he had squarish cuts in the liners at the top and they replaced them with ones with half-moon shape cuts, or vice-versa).

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 12-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #36

Default Thanks!

Good to know.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 AM   #37

I had a friend just recently shoot himself in the leg while reholstering. The bullet went in by his belt bounced off his bone and came out next to his knee cap. Broke his leg and put him off his feet for months. He was shooting a XD 9mm.

Just goes to show you that any firearm is capable of an "Negligent" Discharge if simple rules aren't followed constantly.

As for me, I have two safeties on all my firearms:

"Oh so they have internet on computers now???" Homer Simpson

Old 11-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #38
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 918 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I try not to let a Glock thread on safety, NDs and the like, pass by, without saying how I have managed to daily carry my Glock 21 and other Glocks without any ND taking place. I use a product called Safe T Blok. Before any ammo touches my Glock, this product goes behind the Trigger.

I modify my Serpa II holsters to have a place for the STB and I have safety layers upon safety layers.

There is not one reported ND using a STB in a Glock. Removes instantly without placing a finger inside the Trigger guard.

As a Concealed Carry instructor, I recommend all my students follow owners manual instructions, and Glock and many other handguns recommend carrying with an open chamber. If a student wishes to disregard that safeguard, a STB is one alternative to bring a higher level of safety to a fully loaded Glock.

If one uses public restrooms, and you CC, your holster of choice should stay on your handgun. If you are pulling your handgun from your holster to use a restroom, you need to rethink your holster system.

My opinions are derived from many years of being a FFL, fifty years of gun use and thirty plus years of Concealed Carry, as well as being an NRA handgun instructor. I am also a Glock armorer and I NEVER alter Glocks with non factory parts, or modify the actions from factory standards. I also happen to like the NY trigger option for Glocks for many situations. No revolver I am aware of shoots with a short light trigger pull. Glocks working with a heavier trigger pull may be appropriate for some as an option.

Last edited by AR10; 11-22-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #39
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 918 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Another procedure I recommend to some people is using a flashlight in the ejection port to verify the action is free of a magazine and or a round in the chamber. As people get older, eyes get weaker, lighting in homes gets dimmer (energy efficient) and it gets increasingly harder to see details of what it is we are doing. A little led pocket flashlight may help some people to see better. I caution people to not use the flashlight to look down the barrel or sweep the handgun at anything you are not willing to shoot. I suggest a room with good lighting. I also suggest a pinky finger going into the locked open action, reaching into the chamber. Some older people or infermed lack dexterity to physically check the chamber. If good lighting is not available in your work space, an led pocket flashlight can be a valuable tool.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #40

Liked 114 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Brain farts can happen to the best of us. I've been driving since 1974 and was a professional driver for a number of years. I am well acquainted with the rules of traffic safety. Yet I was very nearly killed in a car accident a couple of years ago that was entirely my fault. I pulled right in front of a speeding pickup truck and I still don't know why. Did I forget to look both ways before I pulled out? Maybe I did look and saw the truck coming but it just didn't register in my brain for some reason. Call it stupidity or negligence or whatever but it was a clear violation of the rules of traffic safety even though safe driving usually comes second nature to me. I can see where something similar could happen with a firearm. I've been around guns for 50 years and have never had a NG. yet it only takes that one moment of lost concentration for something tragic to happen. I love my Glocks but they are very unforgiving of brain farts, partly because they are so simple. You can practically field strip a Glock in your sleep. At least my M&P require a little extra thought to disassemble it. It ain't rocket science by any means but you have to think about what you're doing, remove the frame tool from the frame, flip down the sear lever, etc. You don't have to dry fire it to release the slide either. As for comparisons to DA revolvers, I used to say the same thing. The big difference is that a DA revolver has a much heavier trigger pull and way more trigger travel than a Glock. Bottom line: you can have a NG with any firearm but a Glock is even more prone to it because of its so simplicity. Best practice is to make absolutely sure you have your wits about you before removing it from its holster for any reason and then give it your undivided attention whenever you are handling it.