Latest Glock Mishaps
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Latest Glock Mishaps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Latest Glock Mishaps

Here are the latest Glock Accidents and ADs that I've heard about :
1) A guy about to repair a customer's Glock somehow had his hand ahead of the muzzle as he attempted to field strip a loaded Glock. He must have been holding the duisaambly tabs. He pulled the trigger to move it rearward and shot himself through the hand. Similar things happened to two guys who posted on The Gun Zone long ago.

[ [I]Sounds of JD and Canebrake tittering ]

2) A guard ADed a Glock in a rest room stall, explaining to his employer that the gun slipped out of its holster after he removed it, something snagged the trigger, and it fired.

{ JD weighs in with deleted expletives }

3) A guard shot himself ( grazing leg wound ) during range qualification. Maybe his finger was on the trigger as he re-holstered and was pushed by the holster.

JD and Canebrake note the absence of a safety catch }

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #2

Safety Tips !
Forgot to mention :
Whenever, you stop firing and are about to reholster your gun, go to a low ready position first, make sure your finger is up on the frame and then reholster one-handed. There is never a hurry about reholstering.

Never remove your gun from the holster during a tour of duty { JD interrupts to ask what happens if you have to shoot someone }LOL

To field strip a Glock, dry fire it at a sand bucket or other solid safe backstop. Do not grab the takedown levers while dry firing it.

Try this link for more on safety : Negligent Discharge

Old 08-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I got to give it to you - that took balls that clank to post that and open yourself up like that.

*much respect*

I got nothing to say - you have pretty much covered the cause, the result and what not to do to have this happen to you.

You're definitely growing on me....

JD

Old 09-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #4

Thanks JD
Here's another case of an AD when re-holstering :
Link : G-man accidentally shoots Downtown sidewalk

From article of 6/09 :
Federal agents are still looking for the bullet that was accidentally fired by an F.B.I. agent, at about 1 p.m. Tues., May 23 after two men involved in a bank fraud case were arrested, said Special Agent James Margolin of the New York F.B.I. office. “The shell casing was recovered but the actual bullet has not been located,” said Margolin. “The best indication is that it went directly into the sidewalk.”

Captain Anthony Bologna, commander of the First Precinct, said with a chuckle that the gun went off when the agent went to put his gun back in his holster.

Last edited by Rentacop; 09-06-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glocks are not "Stupid Proof".

Old 09-08-2009, 06:24 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne Frio View Post
But Glocks are proven to find stupids!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #7

Actually, this subject and the reasons, 'Why' haven't really been covered. Firearm safety rules are never genuinely useful as long as they remain nothing more than mental safety rules. In order for any firearm safety rule to work it has to become an everyday personal habit - One that is instinctively NEVER violated.

If someone who's disassembling a Glock hasn't first racked the slide, at least, thrice and then locked it open for both visual AND tactile inspection, well ...... he's made a serious firearm handling mistake - One that clearly violates the user instructions in Glock's Owner's Manual.

If someone who's working on a Glock, or any other pistol, covers his own hand with the muzzle then he needs to start learning basic firearm safety all over again. Obviously, he missed one of the really important points about firearm safety the first time around. (Cooper's Second Safety Rule: 'Never allow the muzzle to, so much as cross, anything you are unwilling to see destroyed.')

Anytime someone discharges a sidearm in a toilet, the mistake belongs entirely unto that person and his misplaced trigger finger. The only exception is, maybe, when a pistol is being reholstered and the edge of the trigger catches the side of the holster; but, this is an extraordinary circumstance. It's far more likely that the user's lazy or forgetful trigger finger is the real problem.

You don't need to go to a, 'low ready' position in order to prepare to reholster a Glock. You should IMMEDIATELY remove your finger from inside the triggerguard and place it along the side of the frame the moment you stop firing and begin to look over the top of the slide. (If you've been trained to hook the distal joint and place the tip of your trigger finger on the edge of the triggerguard in the same way that Ayoob and I do - Fine! Just remember to be consistent.)

If you wait until moving to, 'low ready' before removing your trigger finger from inside the guard, then, your pistol shooting reflexes have not been properly conditioned. (I watched a shooter do this just the other day. That delay, no matter how brief, can be lethal!)

The OP is correct: Glock pistols are NOT as safe as they could be. I could write a post several pages long on, 'Why Not'. (But, I won't!) In fact I live with a Glock pistol, just about, 24 hours a day. Neither do I fault any of my Israeli acquaintances who have been trained and are required to carry all of their personal sidearms in C-3. Inside a civilian residential environment, C-3 is often (But, not always) the safest method of regular carry.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Glocks have the ghey....

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne Frio View Post
NO! Weapon is stupid proof

People have Ad's with all kinds of weapons even 1911's

You put any weapon in the hands of a retard and bad things will happen.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #10

I thought the simplicy of action ment glocks were intended for a more expireinced crowd. And if you blow your hand off you should never be allowed to own a fire arm ever again. There should be some sort of stupid rule that allows your friends to take things away from you if you use them to dismember yourself.