Keep glock firing pin "back" when stored?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Keep glock firing pin "back" when stored?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Keep glock firing pin "back" when stored?

Sorry, this is a newb question. Should I release the firing pin (pull the trigger) before I put my Glock 17 away? Not sure if it matters but I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #2

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Doesn't really matter when storing the Glock empty. Of course be sure it's empty and all other normal safety precautions about dropping the striker.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:52 AM   #3

Liked 379 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Doesn't really matter when storing the Glock empty. Of course be sure it's empty and all other normal safety precautions about dropping the striker.
Does that answer change if the mag is full, but there's NONE in the chamber?

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
Does that answer change if the mag is full, but there's NONE in the chamber?
Just another unneeded step that could get someone killed or badly hurt.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
Just another unneeded step that could get someone killed or badly hurt.
I'm not sure I understand

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 06-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
I'm not sure I understand
Ok I will explain it you remove the Mag. and maybe forget to eject a chambered round, don't say it can't or has not happened.
Then the trigger is pulled......BANG
The more one mess's with their Glock when it loaded with one in battery, the better the chances one is going to get hurt or hurt someone else.
Just do a Google search on Glocks being fired by accident.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/729088/posts

Last edited by rifleshooter474; 06-30-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
Ok I will explain it you remove the Mag. and maybe forget to eject a chambered round, don't say it can't or has not happened.
Then the trigger is pulled......BANG
The more one mess's with their Glock when it loaded with one in battery, the better the chances one is going to get hurt or hurt someone else.
Just do a Google search on Glocks being fired by accident.

Experts Find Glocks Prone To Accidents
haha they undoubtedly happen, sadly. But I'm saying something a little different. I use my glock for HD and I keep it with none in the chamber but mag full. So should I go through the process of removing mag and checking empty and pulling trigger so hammer is forward, then putting mag back in. Or does it really not matter if the hammer is forward and can I just leave it back even though there's still not one in the chamber? I hope that made sense

Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't bother doing that with my XD ( the other tupperware). People are always warning against dry-firing your pistol too much; it seems like this would be just another wasted dry-fire.

If you are sure there is nothing in the chamber, why does hammer/striker position matter? I mean, you are just going to cock the striker when you chamber a round anyways. Of course, the XD has a loaded chamber indicator thingy; i'm not sure if the Glock does (would think so).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, newer Glocks now have loaded chamber indicators. Dry firing a Glock will not harm the mechanism, unless you do it millions of times. It will not harm the firing pin spring to leave it compressed, as has been stated with the magazine springs, it does not hurt the springs to leave them loaded, the constand loading and unloading is what "may" weaken then over time. When I do annual inspections on my officers weapons, I compare the size of the spring in the weapon to a brand new spring. If the old spring has lost more than 2 coils, I replace it, at a whopping cost of $5.00.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Glass, you probably spend more time handling a glock than most. Do you always release the hammer as described? Is there a reason i'm missing? I have seen this question before & not just on Glocks.

note* I do put the hammer down on an empty chamber with my cz75b, but just because it looks better to me that way.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.