Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Keep glock firing pin "back" when stored? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/keep-glock-firing-pin-back-when-stored-44468/)

theargonaut 06-28-2011 11:41 PM

Keep glock firing pin "back" when stored?
 
Sorry, this is a newb question. Should I release the firing pin (pull the trigger) before I put my Glock 17 away? Not sure if it matters but I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Quentin 06-29-2011 04:41 AM

Doesn't really matter when storing the Glock empty. Of course be sure it's empty and all other normal safety precautions about dropping the striker.

TheSadPanda 06-29-2011 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 531261)
Doesn't really matter when storing the Glock empty. Of course be sure it's empty and all other normal safety precautions about dropping the striker.

Does that answer change if the mag is full, but there's NONE in the chamber? :confused:

rifleshooter474 06-29-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSadPanda (Post 531270)
Does that answer change if the mag is full, but there's NONE in the chamber? :confused:

Just another unneeded step that could get someone killed or badly hurt.:eek:

TheSadPanda 06-30-2011 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 (Post 531403)
Just another unneeded step that could get someone killed or badly hurt.:eek:

I'm not sure I understand :(

rifleshooter474 06-30-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSadPanda (Post 531802)
I'm not sure I understand :(

Ok I will explain it you remove the Mag. and maybe forget to eject a chambered round, don't say it can't or has not happened.:rolleyes:
Then the trigger is pulled......BANG:eek:
The more one mess's with their Glock when it loaded with one in battery, the better the chances one is going to get hurt or hurt someone else.
Just do a Google search on Glocks being fired by accident.;)

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/729088/posts

TheSadPanda 06-30-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 (Post 531865)
Ok I will explain it you remove the Mag. and maybe forget to eject a chambered round, don't say it can't or has not happened.:rolleyes:
Then the trigger is pulled......BANG:eek:
The more one mess's with their Glock when it loaded with one in battery, the better the chances one is going to get hurt or hurt someone else.
Just do a Google search on Glocks being fired by accident.;)

Experts Find Glocks Prone To Accidents

haha they undoubtedly happen, sadly. But I'm saying something a little different. I use my glock for HD and I keep it with none in the chamber but mag full. So should I go through the process of removing mag and checking empty and pulling trigger so hammer is forward, then putting mag back in. Or does it really not matter if the hammer is forward and can I just leave it back even though there's still not one in the chamber? I hope that made sense :D

orangello 06-30-2011 07:41 PM

I don't bother doing that with my XD ( :eek: the other tupperware). People are always warning against dry-firing your pistol too much; it seems like this would be just another wasted dry-fire.

If you are sure there is nothing in the chamber, why does hammer/striker position matter? I mean, you are just going to cock the striker when you chamber a round anyways. Of course, the XD has a loaded chamber indicator thingy; i'm not sure if the Glock does (would think so).

Glasshartt 06-30-2011 07:56 PM

Yes, newer Glocks now have loaded chamber indicators. Dry firing a Glock will not harm the mechanism, unless you do it millions of times. It will not harm the firing pin spring to leave it compressed, as has been stated with the magazine springs, it does not hurt the springs to leave them loaded, the constand loading and unloading is what "may" weaken then over time. When I do annual inspections on my officers weapons, I compare the size of the spring in the weapon to a brand new spring. If the old spring has lost more than 2 coils, I replace it, at a whopping cost of $5.00.

orangello 06-30-2011 07:58 PM

Glass, you probably spend more time handling a glock than most. Do you always release the hammer as described? Is there a reason i'm missing? I have seen this question before & not just on Glocks.

note* I do put the hammer down on an empty chamber with my cz75b, but just because it looks better to me that way.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:34 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.