Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Just picked up my new G17 Gen3...couple questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just picked up my new G17 Gen3...couple questions

Hi folks. I just picked up my first handgun/glock and I have a few questions about it. When I was at the store the guy told me 3 places (i think) that I should lubricate before I shoot the gun for the first time but I can't seem to remember what he told me to use or where exactly on the gun he told me to and to lubricate. If someone could explain or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Maybe use the Hoppe's? Can't remember.

Second. I noticed when I got home that the right side of my front sight is a tad higher than the left side. It bothers me a little bit but I'm sure it's not a big deal. My question is whether I should call the shop I purchased the gun from before shooting it and if this is a common new gun problem that can be fixed easily. Any info appreciated. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #2

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

G19 in this video. Discuss...

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 06-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Any thoughts on the other stuff?

Old 06-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #4

DO NOT PUT ANY OIL IN THAT GUN before you shoot it. If anything, you need to take it apart and clean any oil that IS in there OUT of it. Glocks do not require ANY oil to function, that one of the reasons they're so amazing. It's all metal on polymer, IT DOES NOT require oil.

Also, that is definitely not a common problem. However, I would try shooting it before you try to take it back. It might not make a difference, it's more the rear sight you have to worry about.

Last edited by jovaitt; 06-13-2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Adding.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #5

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

The factory front sights are press in type and it is possible that the front sight got bumped at some point, check to make sure it is pressed it fully. If you want to replace it just pull it out with a pair of pliers and install a new sight, usually secures with a small nut, just use a drop of loctite on it and let it dry for a couple of hours.

As far as the lube, I like the video link above, Glocks like it dry other than a couple of drops ( SMALL ) of grease. Oil will only lead to a mess to clean up or a failure at the wrong time.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Glocks do not require much oil but there are a few key spots.

Take the slide off and notice the metal to metal contact between the slide and the metallic tabs on the polymer frame serving as rails, a very small amount of grease there.

The barrel, of course needs a small amount of oil. inside and a tiny bit spread on the outside.

The trigger pull connector, small amount of oil or grease, right underneath the 'hook'. This makes your trigger pull smooth as can be.

Last edited by goretro77; 06-17-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #7

Default correct

Thats right stay away from the oil or grease. The barrel is the only thing i lube;actually i soak it in ballistol. I guess every blue moon you could put a tiny drop on the rails like was mentioned

Old 06-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

It won't be apparent until you've shot a lot of rounds through it, maybe upwards of 2,000 to 2,500 rounds, but note the wear marks on the G22 slide and barrel. This gun has about 4,300 rounds through it.

Sure, the gun will fire even without lube, but a small amount of lube in those areas will help prevent wear. Remember, it must be a *small* amount. If you put too much it will attract dirt, fouling and metal filings. The general debate has been whether the benefit of a small amount of lube outweighs the chance of attracting dirt/metal which can act as sandpaper between the frame and slide and the slide and barrel. Note that you don't need to lube the entire barrel or top of the slide, only the parts that make contact with each other.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Ill tell you what an Glock Armorer told me when I asked that same question. An Austrian drop of oil is about a half or even 3/4's less compared to an "American" drop of oil. They don't take much oil at all.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy