Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Just got a Glock 17 & have questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just got a Glock 17 & have questions

just got a glock 17, picking it up in a couple days. can i shoot +P ammo and does anyone have a preference on bulk target ammo, anything i should stay away from

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #2

Default +P

Do not shoot +P in the Glock (any Glock). It is a very good gun but barrel strength is not one of its great qualities.
lcj

Old 10-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sorry this thread hasn't generated more responses, perhaps I can help bump it.

I am not a Glock expert by any means.

I do not believe the Glock is rated, from the company, to handle +P rounds. That does not mean that the gun can't shoot them, I have read many people have done so and not had an issue. All I am saying is that if you have a warranty issue, double check your warranty info before you EVER mention +P in any way shape or form to Glock themselves. Their customer service is supposed to be pretty good, according so what I have read, but why risk it?

As for a good range round? We but standard, ball, 115 gr. 9mm ammo in bulk and use that for target practice. My girl carries 147gr in her carry pistol that is hollowpoint Ranger ammo. I love that stuff.

Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable Glock folks will be by soon to shoot you straight.

JD

Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Mine eat anything I put through them, and I have put some pretty low budget, low bid crap through the gen 1 19 with no ammo feeding issues. I normally use Gold Dot for duty ammo and usually fire at leat one mag of that when qualifying. Ditto about the 115 grain ball for practice.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 10-15-2010, 12:56 AM   #5

Not at all a fan of any plastic guns here. I'm not knocking Glock alone. I just don't like plastic guns but I do like to gain knowledge and learn anywhere I can. I knew Glocks can not shoot cast lead bullets but am I understanding this correctly that they can not handle +P either?

If this is true why would anyone buy one? Seems kind of silly.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I am not saying they can not handle the +P rated stuff. There are countless posts and vidoes around the 'webz that show Glocks shooting +P rated ammo.

I do not believe that they weapon comes out of the box "rated" by the manufacturer to shoot a heavy diet of +P or +P+ ammo. Meaning if you shoot it, and something happens, Glock is not going to be responsible. I may not be correct in this, so don't take my word for it, but I do not believe they are rated to handle it from the manufacturer.

They are not the only company that does not rate for +P or +P+ out of the box, it is a common practice.

Lawyers being lawyers.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisIsDead View Post
Not at all a fan of any plastic guns here. I'm not knocking Glock alone. I just don't like plastic guns but I do like to gain knowledge and learn anywhere I can. I knew Glocks can not shoot cast lead bullets but am I understanding this correctly that they can not handle +P either?

If this is true why would anyone buy one? Seems kind of silly.
Elvis,

If you can't provide useful information, don't start bashing. that is not the point of this thread.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 10-15-2010, 01:50 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Not the best source, but I'm sick of looking
from Glock pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia when it was designed for Austrian trials, some of the criteria were:

The pistol must fire the NATO-standard 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge.

No more than 20 malfunctions are permitted during the first 10,000 rounds fired, not even minor jams that can be cleared without the use of any tools.
After firing 15,000 rounds of standard ammunition, the pistol will be inspected for wear.
The pistol will then be used to fire an overpressure test cartridge generating 5,000 bar (72,518 psi) (the normal maximum operating pressure Pmax for the 9 mm NATO is rated at 2,520 bar (36,550 psi)). The critical components must continue to function properly and be up to specifications, otherwise the pistol will be disqualified.

Also from 9x19mm Parabellum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9 mm NATO variant
The 9 mm cartridge has been manufactured by, or for, more than 70 different countries and has become a standard pistol caliber for NATO and other military forces around the world. Its official nomenclature among NATO users is "9 mm NATO". The 9 mm NATO can be considered as an overpressure variant of the 9x19mm Parabellum that is defined by NATO standards. The service pressure Pmax of the 9 mm NATO is rated at 252 MPa (36,550 psi) where C.I.P. rates the 9 mm Luger PTmax somewhat lower at 235 MPa (34,083 psi). The 315.0 MPa (45,687 psi) proofing test pressure used in the 9 mm NATO proof test however equals the proofing test pressure used in the 9 mm Luger C.I.P. proof test.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAAMI standard 9mm is rated at 35,000psi
SAAMI +P rated to 38,500psi

Nato rounds are tested using the European C.I.P pressure testing methods which from my understanding usually show lower pressures with the same cartridge than the SAAMI method.
I have read that 9mm Nato loadings when tested to SAAMI specs can run over 40,000psi

I'm no expert by any means, but IMO I would have no problem occasionally running +p ammo in a G17.

Contact Glock if you have any concerns yourself
GLOCK, Inc.
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
U.S.A.
Tel.: 770 - 432 1202

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 10-15-2010, 02:56 AM   #9

thanks for all the info and hard research

Old 10-15-2010, 04:27 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The G17 can handle +P, no problem.
They shoot the Uzi, SMG ammo just fine.
They eat the Fiocchi 123gr Combat with no problem.

Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of rounds of them. No problem.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."