Joined the Glock family today... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Joined the Glock family today...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well that's all I'm asking of it, General_lee. Can't agree with you more!

One thing that surprised me is the trigger isn't double action. What's up with that - I thought in this politically correct world LE and military HAVE to have double action and a hammer/striker drop style safety. Heck this thing is basically cocked and locked like a 1911 but with NO real safety! And no long hard double action pull on the first shot like standard DA pistols and revolvers. Definitely gotta get used to that! Kinda embarrassing but I've never handled a Glock much before...

Anyway good for Glock, they pulled one over on the idiots that push pencils, write regulations and wouldn't know how to operate a pea gun if you dropped one in their laps.

Gotta say overall this gun impresses me, 15+1 of .40 caliber squeezed into about the size of 9mm form factor is quite a feat.
The striker is in a neutral position until you squeeze the trigger. That pulls the striker to the rear. So, squeezing the trigger both cocks, and fires, the gun. Double action.

Squeezing the trigger also disengages the firing pin (striker) block safety, as well as the cruciform sear plate/drop safety.

Safeties on the Glock are in place until you squeeze the trigger. Booger hook off the bang switch=safe.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #12

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
The striker is in a neutral position until you squeeze the trigger. That pulls the striker to the rear. So, squeezing the trigger both cocks, and fires, the gun. Double action...
Well I admit I'm new at Glocks but assuming mine works like the rest I don't see how this can be called double action. The slide must be racked or the trigger cannot cock and drop the hammer. And it doesn't allow you to pull the trigger again to get double strike on the same primer on a misfire either. On paper Glock may be classified double action to satisfy legal staffs, etc. but it doesn't work like normal double action as I've seen in other guns.

Not a knock against Glock, I'm ok with it, just can't call this double action.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Well I admit I'm new at Glocks but assuming mine works like the rest I don't see how this can be called double action. The slide must be racked or the trigger cannot cock and drop the hammer. And it doesn't allow you to pull the trigger again to get double strike on the same primer on a misfire either. On paper Glock may be classified double action to satisfy legal staffs, etc. but it doesn't work like normal double action as I've seen in other guns.

Not a knock against Glock, I'm ok with it, just can't call this double action.
No sweat. I don't take it as a knock against Glock.

The action you describe is what is referred to as "double strike" capability. Some pistols have it, and some don't. Just because the slide needs to cycle to re-set the trigger does not mean that it is not double action.

A double action trigger is one that performs two functions. Cocking the gun, and firing the gun.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
... A double action trigger is one that performs two functions. Cocking the gun, and firing the gun.
Well that's also my definition of double action but I don't see that the Glock trigger fully cocks the striker as defined in a true double action semiauto.

No doubt Glock implies it is double action (except lacking the trigger reset) and agencies accept what they say but it's quite obvious that the Glock functions much more like a single action semiauto with basically 1911-like condition 1 or condition 3 readiness. If you could lower the striker on a live round for condition 2 carry there's no way to cock the striker except by racking the slide back slightly - again just like a single action trigger and no exposed hammer. No matter what anyone says, the Glock walks like and talks like single action. And that's fine by me, just like SA the trigger pull is the same on the first and subsequent shots instead of the heavy first pull for DA.

Of course all we're talking about is the first shot only when double action comes into play except on DAO pistols.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Glocks (and others, including Springfield XDs and Smith & Wesson M&Ps) are often referred to as being striker-fired to avoid just this kind of confusion. They aren't truly double-action, but they aren't single action, either.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #16

Quote:
This weekend Cabelas has a sale on law enforcement trade in Glock 22s for $359.99 with two 15rd mags and a hard case. I looked at two last night (which were Gen 2s) and put a hold on one to pick up today. Internally they looked very good but do have holster wear on the slide. Of course the one with the best internals and barrel had a lot more outside wear but of course I chose it.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Congrats on the Glock purchase.

I envy 'Ya as I'm between Glocks.

I gave Dad my G30 as a Father's Day/Birthday gift.

Just traded my used G29 10MM in on a Taurus PT-1911 .45 ACP.

Would like to get a G21-C and another EAA Windicator .357 Mag/.38 spec( I think GOD is trying to teach me patience).

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 05-10-2011, 02:38 AM   #17

Thanks for the help guys!

Finally took pictures of the G22. Not very pretty is she? But I think she'll be all right. Found a serial number database and the CCS prefix indicates a build date of December 1996.

______

Last edited by Quentin; 05-10-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:00 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Not too bad of condition for gen 2. I believe its pretty much the same except for finger groves and tac rail. There are a few other minor differences but not that matter.

Good score

Old 05-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #19

Thanks again guys.

One thing I've noticed on this Glock, the front of the frame/dust cover area is bent up to where it just barely touches the slide. You can see the gap between the frame and slide disappear toward the very front. Doesn't seem to affect anything but I wonder if someone got whacked in the head with this gun.

______

Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks again guys.

One thing I've noticed on this Glock, the front of the frame/dust cover area is bent up to where it just barely touches the slide. You can see the gap between the frame and slide disappear toward the very front. Doesn't seem to affect anything but I wonder if someone got whacked in the head with this gun.
I always look at all of the avail Glocks when I'm buying one to make sure the dustcover fits tightly to the slide. Helps keep out external debris. Sounds like yours is a good one.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI