Joined the Glock family today...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Joined the Glock family today...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Default Joined the Glock family today...

This weekend Cabelas has a sale on law enforcement trade in Glock 22s for $359.99 with two 15rd mags and a hard case. I looked at two last night (which were Gen 2s) and put a hold on one to pick up today. Internally they looked very good but do have holster wear on the slide. Of course the one with the best internals and barrel had a lot more outside wear but of course I chose it.

Anybody bought a Glock LE trade in? Any comments, any problems I should look for? I was impressed how little wear the mating surfaces had, slide/barrel/frame. The bore looks excellent. I kinda doubt that this has much more than a thousand rounds through it. The other one definitely had a lot more wear and the front half of the barrel was polished shiny by the slide.

I'm curious why these pistols are traded in in the first place if they work properly. Maybe the officer wanted a Gen 3 for the dust cover rail which the Gen 2 doesn't have. Or maybe lots of officers are moving to the new Gen 4s? Or they want a more compact pistol? Also the night sights are pretty faded.

Anyway, this seems like a fair price and I've been wanting to buy a full size Glock. Also have been wanting to try out the 40 S&W. I've long had 45ACP and 9mm pistols and the 40 S&W seems like a great compromise even though I've heard the S&W stands for Short&Weak. I think this will be a fine pistol.

Haven't taken a picture but it's not much to look at anyway. I don't care as long as it's reliable. Think it will be. Grabbed some Winchester 165gr FMJ FN and Federal 180gr FMJ FN and hope to get out to the range this week.

The only thing I can find wrong with it are two dings on the slide rails but I can clean that up. Looks like something heavy fell on the slide and got both rails opposite of each other. More of an annoyance than anything else.

Any comments would be appreciated!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2011, 01:32 AM   #2

Liked 1421 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

NO PICTURES IT DIDN"T HAPPEN

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #3

Default Mine came from J&G

Got mine from J&G same price and condition.
Wanted a used Model 17, but took the 22 and used a lonewolf barrel and converted to 9mm, works great.
Already had 25 Model 17 mags from a couple of trades and did not want another calibre to worry with.
Had burned out nite sights, new ones on order.

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Old 05-08-2011, 04:10 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The PoPo trade in pistols are always a great deal. Lots of departments went away from .40s, so the guns end up sold. Most are carried a lot, and almost never fired.

And as Yellowhand says, the Lone Wolf conversion barrels give you a great way to use 9mm out of your G22. Change the barrel, change the mag, and away you go.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #5

You got a good deal. Post up some pics of your new toy!!

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war." Gen. George S. Patton

Old 05-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #6

Thanks guys! I'll try to get pictures later but it's Mother's Day/family gathering so have to see how it goes. Really it's not much to look at!

At the store I did break down both 22s and picked the one with less internal wear. Last night I gave it a good cleaning and all looks well. Think it's going to be a good pistol at a good price.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase!
Yeah, Glocks aren't much to look at, but they go bang every time, that's all that matters.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #8

Well that's all I'm asking of it, General_lee. Can't agree with you more!

One thing that surprised me is the trigger isn't double action. What's up with that - I thought in this politically correct world LE and military HAVE to have double action and a hammer/striker drop style safety. Heck this thing is basically cocked and locked like a 1911 but with NO real safety! And no long hard double action pull on the first shot like standard DA pistols and revolvers. Definitely gotta get used to that! Kinda embarrassing but I've never handled a Glock much before...

Anyway good for Glock, they pulled one over on the idiots that push pencils, write regulations and wouldn't know how to operate a pea gun if you dropped one in their laps.

Gotta say overall this gun impresses me, 15+1 of .40 caliber squeezed into about the size of 9mm form factor is quite a feat.

______

Old 05-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well that's all I'm asking of it, General_lee. Can't agree with you more!

One thing that surprised me is the trigger isn't double action. What's up with that - I thought in this politically correct world LE and military HAVE to have double action and a hammer/striker drop style safety. Heck this thing is basically cocked and locked like a 1911 but with NO real safety! And no long hard double action pull on the first shot like standard DA pistols and revolvers. Definitely gotta get used to that! Kinda embarrassing but I've never handled a Glock much before...

Anyway good for Glock, they pulled one over on the idiots that push pencils, write regulations and wouldn't know how to operate a pea gun if you dropped one in their laps.

Gotta say overall this gun impresses me, 15+1 of .40 caliber squeezed into about the size of 9mm form factor is quite a feat.
It took me a while to get used to the idea of "no safety" on the Glock, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Just be careful with it and treat it with respect (as you should with all guns), keep your finger off the bang switch until ready to fire.
I see the lack of a manual thumb safety on the Glock as an advantage because there's less to fumble with in an emergency when split seconds count.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #10

Default +1 on what General lee said!

Easy to maintain, east to shoot well with, decent capacity magazines and no bells or whistles to fool with!

Draw and fire.

What else could you want? Yeah, not pretty but VERY functional!

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.