Jammed slide w/a live round.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Jammed slide w/a live round.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1715 Times on 887 Posts
Likes Given: 1332

Default Jammed slide w/a live round.

I've been trying some 9mm reloaded lead round nose in a G19 w/a Lone Wolf barrel. I've put just over 190 rounds through it without a problem. On the last magazine she jammed after five shots. The slide has almost retuned to battery and is now immovable. The barrel is slightly angled. There is a live round in the pistol. Nothing concerning an immovable slide turned up on the search.

Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 200 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Check the Glock forum, maybe there is a Glock Armorer on there?

Married 27 years---I'm starting to think it might work out.
Second Generation N R A Life Member

Last edited by Mongo; 02-12-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You're kinda sol. The bullet is the cause of the jam (Most likely) not a failed part. All you can really do is drop the mag and carefully bang the slide into or out of battery. Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Take a peak up the grip and see if you can tell for sure that the round is causing the jam.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #5

Liked 1802 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

Pointing the gun in a safe direction (because it may go off) hold the slide tightly with one hand. Take the other hand and try to slap the back of the grip. You need to cycle the slide back. Do not force it into battery.

Some times you can sit the front of the gun on the edge of a shooting table. Do it so that the barrel will be off the edge of the table. Then try hitting the back of the grip with a block of wood. Again, be careful not to put your feet or any other part of your body in front of the muzzle. I would try to do this at a shooting range if I were you.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:37 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Some times you can sit the front of the gun on the edge of a shooting table. Do it so that the barrel will be off the edge of the table. Then try hitting the back of the grip with a block of wood. Again, be careful not to put your feet or any other part of your body in front of the muzzle. I would try to do this at a shooting range if I were you.
Had the same thing happen to my Shield, and the above worked to free it. I didn't have to hit the back though, just downward pressure with my weight behind it popped it loose pretty easily. Good luck, and be careful!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:38 AM   #7
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Pointing the gun in a safe direction (because it may go off) hold the slide tightly with one hand. Take the other hand and try to slap the back of the grip. You need to cycle the slide back. Do not force it into battery.

Sounds like you've had experience with this, or something like it. I'm getting that I should put a mag back in the pistol, secure the slide in vise, and whack the grip with a mallet or something to get the slide to lock back. If I can't find a brave gunsmith, that's what i'll try.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:46 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Sounds like you've had experience with this, or something like it. I'm getting that I should put a mag back in the pistol, secure the slide in vise, and whack the grip with a mallet or something to get the slide to lock back. If I can't find a brave gunsmith, that's what i'll try.
Not to speak for someone else, but not quite what he was saying. If you have a wooden table/bench (or just a large piece of wood will also work), point the gun down and put the front of the slide against the wood but keeping the barrel clear. Then just push straight down on the frame. Frame goes down, slide pushes against wood and stays in place, stuck round pops out. At least that's how it worked for me. If that doesn't make sense I can post a pick in a few.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:05 AM   #9
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
Not to speak for someone else, but not quite what he was saying. If you have a wooden table/bench (or just a large piece of wood will also work), point the gun down and put the front of the slide against the wood but keeping the barrel clear. Then just push straight down on the frame. Frame goes down, slide pushes against wood and stays in place, stuck round pops out. At least that's how it worked for me. If that doesn't make sense I can post a pick in a few.
I think I got it. It's just that the slide is SO jammed that I'm guessing I'll take more than my body weight to free it. But I'll certainly try it 'your' way first. Maybe tomorrow. We've got pressure treated ties holding back the berms at our outdoor range. This time of the year they're hard frozen too, so I doubt they'd give when I leaned on the grip.

Were you able to determine the cause of your jam? Was the bullet.not seated far enough down in the case?Or what?

Old 02-13-2014, 01:29 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I think I got it. It's just that the slide is SO jammed that I'm guessing I'll take more than my body weight to free it. But I'll certainly try it 'your' way first. Maybe tomorrow. We've got pressure treated ties holding back the berms at our outdoor range. This time of the year they're hard frozen too, so I doubt they'd give when I leaned on the grip.

Were you able to determine the cause of your jam? Was the bullet.not seated far enough down in the case?Or what?
I thought the same thing with mine, it was so stuck there was absolutely ZERO movement when I tried to clear it by hand, but it came right out when I did the above. Hope it works the same for you.

Don't know exactly what caused it, but I'm about 99.9% sure it was an ammo problem (Ultramax bulk remanufactured) not a gun problem.

Last edited by otisthecat; 02-13-2014 at 01:34 AM.