Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > I've got a question for all you Glockies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1094 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn
Supposed to be 95 here tomorrow.
It's going to be 95, hot, hazy, and humid here too!!!. Not going to be fun at work.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00

It's going to be 95, hot, hazy, and humid here too!!!. Not going to be fun at work.
I live in Hawaii and its 85 year round with a light ocean breeze all day long! Yaaaay! Oh.... And I too have a GLOCK (love the internal "safeties"), also use the safeties on my rifles. Can never be too safe, but yes - GLOCKS do have safety features/mechanism's. They're just internal. :P

Old 09-10-2013, 03:17 AM   #13

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Let me clarify, do you use the external safety on your long guns, if so what is the difference between using a safety on a rifle or shotgun but not on your handguns? I understand that Glocks have internal safeties and that the best safety is using your brain and keeping your fingers off the trigger.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 09-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #14

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Interesting question, all my rifles (long guns 10 of them) have safeties but I do not use them. If I am at the range I only load one or two rounds into the mag and use them up. If hunting, I never carry a loaded round in the chamber when going to my hide. When at the hide I load the weapon and do not want to fumble with a safety before taking a shot at game. (not enough time to) The exception is my AR 15 that I do use the safety on all the time, but the mag is holding 20 to 30 rounds and I general check the target after each 5 rounds.

I don't own a Glock, but do own a CZ 75 P-01 that also has no safety as well as a P-97 that also has no safety on it (decocker only) and have no problem carrying them loaded and decocked. I do not have a problem with any revolver that also has no safeties on them.

Like the people said, keep the bugger picker off the trigger.
Jim

PS: it was 93 here today.

Last edited by bigjim; 09-10-2013 at 03:52 AM.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #15

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Direct answer: yes, I use the safety on ALL guns that have them. The point is, some firearms just don't have them. Personally , I'm fine with this, as I was taught to not rely on them anyway. In respect to Glocks, I believe there is a kit to put an external safety on them, but I'm not familiar with it.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #16
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1727 Times on 958 Posts
Likes Given: 5270

Got a new saw blade, unfortunately need to return it wrong size.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #17

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Thanks for those who gave a legitimate answer. And since we have started to discuss the temperature today, where I live it was about 105.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #18

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex
This is not meat to be rude or mean. you say you don't need a safety, do your long guns have safeties, if so do you use them? If you do use them why do you have them on your long guns and not your handguns? Again not trying to be disrespectful or jerkish I am genuinely curious.
Long guns are generally used for different purposes than handguns(usually). Handguns prime purpose is CC and self defense for quick reaction situations. Most don't want the added step to disengage the safety in a split second live or die situation. Rifles is more of a hunting or a home SD weapon and the chances are much more likely that the safety can be disengaged in adequate time for the task at hand. Personally I don't see the need for a safety on any gun! If you can't keep your fingers off the trigger, probably shouldn't be handling or carry guns. Same as carrying an empty chamber! Why disarm a Gun if your intended purpose is to protect yourself? But that's a different thread for a different day.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Alright. Who's going to replace this bent needle on my Trollmeter?

Old 09-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1030 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
This is not meat to be rude or mean. you say you don't need a safety, do your long guns have safeties, if so do you use them? If you do use them why do you have them on your long guns and not your handguns? Again not trying to be disrespectful or jerkish I am genuinely curious.
When you need to use a handgun, you generally need to use it immediately.

How many revolvers have you seen with "safety" levers? Are revolvers "unsafe" because they don't have those "safety" levers on them?

It is an unnecessary impediment to actually using the pistol when you most need to have everything go as smoothly as it can, given that whatever has transpired has caused you to draw and fire your weapon. John Moses Browning, designer of the magical 1911 with the much vaunted "safety" lever, even thought it was a dumb idea. Extra levers and whatnot to depress or not depress are not things you need on a pistol. Irrespective of how reliable something is or should be, it's pretty much a given that anything that complicates how a human interacts with a machine under duress is not going to be helpful, which is the best reason not to have a "safety" lever on your pistol.

You are either capable of carrying a loaded pistol while also preventing unintentional contact with the trigger or you are not. Apart from extremely rare instances of mechanical failure, firearms do not fire on their own. Someone has to cause them to fire. If you don't cause your firearm to fire except when you intend to, then you won't have any problems.

A lot of people violate multiple firearm safety rules, generally lack common sense or don't apply it to things that could potentially kill them, and can't seem to understand that mechanical devices are poor substitutes for thoughtful gun handling. It would be best if those people did not handle firearms, but that's not going to happen. So, for those people, a Glock is "unsafe". In reality, they are imprudent firearms users, but it can never be "their fault" for imprudent gun handling practices, so the weapon must be "unsafe".

Regarding "safety" levers on rifles, have you seen how AK-47's are carried in combat? Generally, the "safety" is off. Firearms aren't firearms until they're ready for use, just poorly designed clubs. It's like that argument about unloaded magazines. What the hell are you going to do with an unloaded magazine?

Don't point firearms at yourself or anyone else unless you intend to.

Don't put your finger on the trigger or allow any other object to contact the trigger unless you intend to.

If you can't do those two things, expect that bad things will happen.