Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Idpa (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/idpa-64356/)

mt232 05-13-2012 12:28 AM

Idpa

Which Glock would you guys think be best for IDPA. I want to get started shooting in it but I'm not sure what would be a decent gun. I was thinking a G17.

kmglocks 05-13-2012 12:37 AM

I would say g17 is the best all around choice as far as barrel length and ease of use.

lyodbraun 05-13-2012 10:22 AM

yes the 17 or 17L and the 34 would be great ...

mt232 05-13-2012 12:31 PM

Cool thanks for the input guys

rubikees 05-13-2012 10:50 PM

I shoot the G17 in IDPA and it does well at the matches.

mt232 05-14-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubikees
I shoot the G17 in IDPA and it does well at the matches.

Thanks sounds good, not sure what I want yet but trying to get opinions. Do you have any recommendations or advice for practicing for those matches?

Staestc 05-14-2012 06:41 PM

Does a G17 have to be stock for IDPA? I have a Ghost Rocket 3.5# trigger bar and was just curious. Easy enough to swap back though.

Dennis845 05-14-2012 07:44 PM

My major down fall in IDPA matches is rapid fire at pop up and swing targets. Seems I always get a fail to neutralize at those stations. I do have access at my gun club to practice these but, it would be a major pain to constantly keep setting them up by myself. Another thing that was giving me fits was shooting weak hand. Then I moved the sights farther toward my dominate eye and vastly improved my accuracy but still very slow compared to strong side.

I normally shoot CDP class (.45 cal) with a 1911 Kimber but next time I'm going to use my baby G-26, as I carry it on occasion. I always shoot what I carry the most. Next month we have a night IDPA match, my first one, should be interesting!

rubikees 05-14-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mt232 (Post 800402)
Thanks sounds good, not sure what I want yet but trying to get opinions. Do you have any recommendations or advice for practicing for those matches?

Go to the fun matches and while you are waiting, watch how the big boys shoot. There are a few that will be glad to give pointers to help out and some will even have classes. The place I shoot at has a club with an IDPA shooter as an instructor for classes on the range. Then they have coaches classes so you can practice what you learn. Besides practice on the range, some shooters draw practice at the house with snap caps. You can also practice reloading and multiple target shooting with points on the wall. Just remember gun safety at all times when doing dry practices. Oh yea, get a water bottle and hold it out while walking. Try to keep the ripples to a minimum. The most important thing is just get on the range on those fun matches.

willfully armed 05-15-2012 01:39 AM

I
Don't
Practice
Anymore

Shooting at local matches is the best practice. But the best practice YOU can do besides a match, is practicing acquiring sights from the draw and during movement. Once you develop this, everything else seems effortless.

Your 17 is fine, as is the ghost connector.