I don't get it - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > I don't get it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
The second pistol I shot was a Glock and it was pretty accurate. I just didn't care too much for the way it felt in my hands. My M&P feels much better to me, but to each his own...
Same exact thing here. Love my M&P9.

When the Glocks first arrived on the market, they were pretty much the only reliable and accurate polymer-framed handguns. Nowadays, the technology has spread, and while Glocks are still solid guns, there are others that point and feel a little better for some people.
Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM

Old 01-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thats funny I think you guys just convinced me that I don't like Glocks anymore....lol....Seriously though everything you guys mentioned is a problem I had with Glocks but when I was issued one I had no choice but to get used to it. After several years you just adapted.

So whats the deal with the 40's I own a G22 and was issued one. My brother carries a 27 and have shot more 23's than I can shake a stick at and I have NEVER had a problem that was related to the guns. I made my duty weapon lock back by limp wristing it.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

The .40 S&W is one of those rounds that folks either love or hate. The arguments against .40 are that 9mm is cheaper to shoot and .45 makes a bigger hole - so .40 is just a compromise.

The only thing I dislike about .40 is the recoil pulse - I find it more "snappy" than any other pistol caliber. While I have a pair of .40s - most of my goto guns are .45s...

Old 01-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #14

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sure Glocks are reliable, but so are the other options. They are no more reliable than a good 1911, M&P, or XD. I have the same problems with Glocks that the other posters have with fit except that they'll never fit my big hands correctly. The main thing I hate about them is the lack of any external safety. The Glock "Safe Action" trigger has led to too many A/D N/D (usually the result of operator error). Glocks have their problems too. Gunsmiths usually see firearms at their worst-when they need repair. What pisses me off is when people claim that Glocks are better than all other guns. They're no better or worse than others-except for personal preference. My personal opinion is they suck-FOR ME PERSONALLY. To each their own however and they are good guns for others, just not me.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #15

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

I know I don't like the feel of a Glock, personally.

The main problem I have with Glock is not the pistols themselves, but the hype. The company has done so much advertising and hype of the guns they make that the price of a Glock is waaayyy to high. They gouge the common man but basically give them away to Law Enforcement. That is just a way to get to be able to say, "If it is good enough for the police..." Bring that back around to the horrible ergonomics and you have a pistol that people love to hate. Just my opinions.

Oh, and they have the ghey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I'll take the hatred a step further.

I hate the Glock, I hate Gaston Glock, and I REALLY hate Glock Fanboys.

Now, I have said on many occassions, this is a very reliable gun, that was produced for people that had no interest in actually taking care of the damn thing.

It's a very simple, "a caveman could use it", weapon. It is easy to take apart, it is easy to clean ( if you find anyone who is actually doing weapon maintenance ) and it's easy to shoot.

That said:

Gaston Glock didn't develop this weapon for you. He developed it to sell to the military, and baring that, the police. He never wanted you, as a civilian, to own it.

If you take a look at the entry of the Glock into America, all of their marketing was geared towards the police departments. They had already failed to secure a military contract here in the states, so they set their sights a little lower.

They did traveling road shows where they demostrated that you could drop it in mud and water and shoot it right out of the grime and not have to worry. They would load a weapon and toss it high into the air in front of a group of cops, let it hit the concrete, pick it up and fire it. They would show you a "test gun" that had been submerged in salt water for weeks on end. Bang the salt off the frame and fire it. Oooooh. Ahhhhhh. Neato!

That was their sales pitch. And it was cheap. MUCH cheaper than a lot of other options.

So, they start to get a small market share and Renny Harlin, that IDIOT that he is, decides to immortalize this plastic piece of shi'ite in Die Hard II.

And from THAT monent, the Glock Fanboy was born.

When someone tells you that the Glock is the best weapon available, on the planet, better than everything else, blah, blah, blah..... Ask them this:

What else have you owned??

You are going to be surprised out of the number of people who bought a Glock as their first pistol and just stuck with it. It never failed them, it always went bang and they could all "shoot pretty good with it".

Well, that is great. For you.

But facts being facts, from a gunsmith's standpoint, that weapon is a trainwreck.

Anyone that puts the lone safety of a weapon on the trigger needs to be shot with the weapon and buried with the design under 100 feet of concrete and steel so that design NEVER sees the light of day again.

What is it now? 30 something years and they are on their 4th Generation pistol??

Come see me when they have their Centennial Edition and we will see how it resembles their opening offering.

JD

Oh. And PS - Glock: It Has The Ghey

Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #17

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB44 View Post
Lets face it .. GLOCKs are (f)ugly. And everybody hates the ugly kid. Eventually, if you give'em a chance, you get to like them. I've just been around them for so long, that I forget that they are ugly.
And yeah - everytime you pull the trigger they go bang - and that should be good enough for most of us.... to like them.

But everybody loves the XD (myself included) and it's uglier than the Glock! The XD just outperforms the heck out of the Glock, and you get them at a better price with all the cool little accessories they throw in. When it comes to polymer pistols, it's the XD FTW.

But that's another thread, isn't it?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hell,.. now I have to get a 1911 and a XD, cause I guess my SIG P250 doesn't count in this thread,....

Would it be out of the question to get a Taurus 1911....??

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Anyone that puts the lone safety of a weapon on the trigger needs to be shot with the weapon and buried with the design under 100 feet of concrete and steel so that design NEVER sees the light of day again.
What about the M&P? As far as I know, it's only safety is the articulated trigger.
Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM

Old 01-21-2010, 02:36 AM   #20

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well I think I've made my position well known that I like the Glock, mostly because I have gotten used to it. When my department departed from the SW 5906 and went with the Glock I was ecstatic...until I took it out of the box. I was told that was the option and to get used to it. So, I did. Other than that POS Smith, the Glock was my experience. When I was retired, I found myself with no guns other than a couple of 12 ga field guns.

Although it sounds stupid, I went out and bought a Glock and paid no attention to any other brands and completely ignored my memory of my first impression of the gun.

A couple of years go by and my brother in law shows up at the range with this Cling-on war ship deathstar looking thing and proceeds to tell me this is the new poly gun...it was a Springfield XD40. I made fun of him for months...until I got over myself and shot it. Bought one the next day and then one month later (Good ol' CA) I bought a compact.

Since then, the old memories of the Glock started to come back...I still like it, but like Dillinger said, "I shoot okay with it." Not nearly as well as the XD and probably not as well as with the 1911 when it gets here.

Essentially, I started this post and posted on some others in regards to Glock to find out why so many people hate it and as it turns out most hate it because of the same reasons I have to tolerate it. I guess I am just more patient with it or a glutten...the jury is still out on that.

I don't necessarily think the gun is unsafe as long as you follow proper procedure, but I'm not a gunsmith. Just because I was a cop doesn't mean I have any meaningful experience about guns, hell after my experience with LE I wouldn't trust a cop's opinion about guns...most of them can't even shoot them let alone well.

I won't badmouth them, but this post has opened my eyes to some educated points. Not just drivel from some idiot who will always state, "I just hate them" or "I hate them because so many people love them." Right now I'm the guy who loves Fords/Chevy/Dodge, but with a reasonable argument and some education you might show them the light. That's kind of where I am now.

Thanks for the help and not getting personal...except for you Dillinger, I'm pretty sure you insulted me somewhere in that post, but I'm a little slow I'll have to read it again...

Newest Threads