I did not know glocks are as good... - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > I did not know glocks are as good...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
What can a GLOCK do that an XD or an M&P cant do?
Nothing wrong with a XD or M&P Either. All personal preference. Glock has just been around longer so it gets more "Hype".

Last edited by glocknloaded; 08-25-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #62

If you "Accidentally" shoot yourself with any gun you have no business owning one.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #63
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocknloaded View Post
Nothing wrong with a XD or M&P Either. All personal preference. Glock has just been around longer.
The age argument doesn't really mean much. One example would be a C96 Mauser. How many of those do you see? It all comes down to reliability.

As far as I'm concerned, XDs, M&Ps, and 1911s are just as good as any GLOCK. It's all personal preference (as you said) at this point in time.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

The age argument doesn't really mean much. One example would be a C96 Mauser. How many of those do you see? It all comes down to reliability.

As far as I'm concerned, XDs, M&Ps, and 1911s are just as good as any GLOCK. It's all personal preference (as you said) at this point in time.
I still think reliability and track record mixed with years of service plays a big factor. Maybe not for someone who's owned firearms for years but as a first time buyer I believe it does.

My first handgun was a Glock. I bought a 17 because of how long they've been on the market with very little problems. After being introduced to the world of shooting further I went on to buy a M&P, a 1911 etc..

Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #65

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:

More to it then price.. A lot of guns in the same price range as Glock. Glock is just proven itself beyond a responsible doubt,
Almost all modern handguns have proven to be good reliable guns beyond any reasonable doubt. Some way more so than GLOCK. Most every manufacturer has a model at least as reliable. As someone mentioned earlier, even the hi point c9 has gone through ridiculous torture tests (I highly recommend looking up the 4-5 part video series). I'd like to see someone hammer a lag bolt into the bore of any gun and then shoot it. The hi point survived with a bulged barrel, then kept on trucking with no major loss in accuracy (not the most accurate to begin with). And if I'm not mistaken... I think their customer service agreed to repair the gun... but then the sadistic gun store owners in the video decided to just completely destroy it by filling the barrel with powder, plugging it with a lag bolt, and firing it.

GLOCK markets to LEAs way more aggressively than these others mentioned.

When it comes to private purchase, you're correct. But there are many buyers who foolishly base their decision on what the local PD can get cheaper than anything else.

There's nothing wrong with liking it. Especially if one's reasons are entirely their own. But quite frankly, I get pissed when people buy one and say, "it must be the greatest gun ever, all the police departments use it!"

Well I'm a Marine combat vet. Maybe people should all buy M9's, because it's what all Marines outside of special forces are issued (when someone decides they rate a pistol). And the US Military, the most powerful in the world, adopted it in 86(?). And it's way older than GLOCK!

See how silly that reasoning is?

Yeah... I just believe when someone buys a GLOCK, it should be because that's what they really want, not because of any kind of inadvertent endorsement. To those that have one and love it for their own reasons? Good for you.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 AM   #66
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21490 Times on 12204 Posts
Likes Given: 53522

Quote:
I still think reliability and track record mixed with years of service plays a big factor. Maybe not for someone who's owned firearms for years but as a first time buyer I believe it does.

My first handgun was a Glock. I bought a 17 because of how long they've been on the market with very little problems. After being introduced to the world of shooting further I went on to buy a M&P, a 1911 etc..
the first handgun i bought was a Springfield Armory 1911 pistol back in the early 80's and after almost thirty years later an about 30 something 1911's later, i will probably buy a 1911 over most any other pistol design. i own many diffeent types of pistols, but the 1911's are the beauties of my pistol collection.

anyone that thinks a 1911 can't be just as reliable as other pistol platforms would sadly be mistaken. i have had some in the past that had run thousands and thousands of trouble free rounds with no problems. i have a couple now that have had several thousands through them with no problems. but when i hear someone say that a 1911 can't be as reliable as, (insert brand name here) i say hogwash and bullspit.
People Like This 
Old 08-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #67

[QUOTE="trip286"]

Almost all modern handguns have proven to be good reliable guns beyond any reasonable doubt. Some way more so than GLOCK.

Such as?

When it comes to private purchase, you're correct. But there are many buyers who foolishly base their decision on what the local PD can get cheaper than anything else.

I agree.. I would not buy a gun on military or LE usage.

There's nothing wrong with liking it. Especially if one's reasons are entirely their own. But quite frankly, I get pissed when people buy one and say, "it must be the greatest gun ever, all the police departments use it!"

I've not said that and your right that's a stupid argument.

Well I'm a Marine combat vet. Maybe people should all buy M9's.

Great weapon. Although I've heard great reports and horrible reviews of it.

See how silly that reasoning is?

A

Old 08-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

the first handgun i bought was a Springfield Armory 1911 pistol back in the early 80's and after almost thirty years later an about 30 something 1911's later, i will probably buy a 1911 over most any other pistol design. i own many diffeent types of pistols, but the 1911's are the beauties of my pistol collection.

anyone that thinks a 1911 can't be just as reliable as other pistol platforms would sadly be mistaken. i have had some in the past that had run thousands and thousands of trouble free rounds with no problems. i have a couple now that have had several thousands through them with no problems. but when i hear someone say that a 1911 can't be as reliable as, (insert brand name here) i say hogwash and bullspit.
I think the 1911 is a great design and has proven itself through many wars.

Not my first choice for SHTF pistol or carry but you'll never hear me bad mouth it. Hell I just dropped a pretty penny on a Dan Wesson and it will NOT be a safe queen.

I'am not one to play into the either 1911 or Polymer crap... This America! I'll take both

Old 08-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #69
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Such as?
S&W M&P

Springfield Armory XD

Beretta 92/M9

These are ALL just as reliable and dependable as a GLOCK, for around the same price if not cheaper. If you want to know what's even more reliable than a GLOCK, Go look at some custom/higher quality semi autos.

Despite what their ad says, GLOCKs are not perfect. No gun is perfect.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 08-25-2013 at 01:04 AM.
People Like This 
Old 08-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #70

Liked 2455 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Wow. I thought I was defusing this pro/con argument.

Guys, if we were moths, well, bug-zappers don't have a

safety...

Closed Thread