Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > I did not know glocks are as good...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #51
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 840 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Of course nobody has mentioned that the Glock 34 with 18 rounds (one in chamber, 17 in mag, has almost three times the fire power of a 1911.
That alone seperates them big time.

I love my 1911's. I have 4 of them, and have 2 Glocks, but each gun has its own good points.

JP-USN 20 years retired
Alway keep your six covered

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #52

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Glocks aren't pretty or flashy and they don't look pretty in the safe. BUT anybody that's says they are not reliable is full of crap. Glocks are a perfect "Duty" weapon due to their ease of use, reliability and lack of parts.

Facts are facts. A lot of other great reliable guns out there but Glock is on the top of the list

Last edited by glocknloaded; 08-24-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #53

Liked 350 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Glocks aren't pretty or flashy and they don't look pretty in the safe. BUT anybody that's days they are not reliable are full of crap. Glocks are a perfect "Duty" weapon due to their ease of use, reliability and lack of parts.
I doint think anyone is saying they are nor reliable. Lots of handguns are as reliable as Glocks. A Toyota corolla is reliable but if I had a choice I would go for a BMW. One of the main reasons they are popular with police apart from reliability is price.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #54
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

What can a GLOCK do that an XD or an M&P cant do?

Old 08-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #55

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Really, a GLOCK is no safer than any other double action semi auto with no safety or with the safety disengaged (I don't give a damn what anyone says, that dingus is useless as a so called manual safety. It would make no difference at all if it were removed from the design entirely)

The evidence of this is the infamous GLOCK leg everyone likes to bring up, and has already been mentioned.

Yes, these NDs are, as far as we know for sure, due to inadvertent trigger pulls. But I would be willing to bet a year's pay that if GLOCK were removed from the holsters of everyone who carries one, and replaced with, let's say, an xd with no grip safety, there would likely be no discernible change in the rates of NDs. But wait... the M&P semis don't seem to have this rate of NDs... I wonder what's up with that? Not trying to say anything there, that was more a random thought than anything. It may simply be due to the disparity in popularity.

Hence the New York trigger. How many NDs happened with double action revolvers? Not enough to warrant a colloquially named syndrome. Likely, in my opinion, due to the long, heavy trigger pull.

Plain and simple, GLOCK should be considered to be a gun with no safety at all. Those who are comfortable with this, more power to you. If you aren't... it's like gay marriage. Don't get one if you don't want it. I want a 17 for fun, but I'd never carry it, it doesn't meet my preferences. It does shoot the much cheaper 9mm (compared to .45, what my 1911 is chambered in) and has 33 round mags available, and I think, drum mags.

The argument against having a manual safety "to fumble around with" in the instance of having to actually use a gun in SD is, quite frankly, dumb. It's called training. Being a combat vet, and a SAW gunner to boot, I can speak first hand to the effectiveness of training. Overseas, SAWs are carried con 3. It's an open bolt design. This means that to engage an enemy, you must first pull the charging handle to the rear and push it back forward, then disengage the safety (I think. I honestly can't remember if the safety could be engaged in con 3, but with military requirements, I believe it can.)

I could bring my SAW to bear on a target just as quickly with the added motions and damn near triple the weight when fully loaded, as my teammates could with an M4. UNDER FIRE.

Now does anyone want to argue the point that disengaging the safety on any pistol is more complicated than getting a con 3 machine gun into battery? Didn't think so. And chances are, I trained way less than any of you think I did. That argument against a manual safety is a pansy assed excuse. Sorry if I'm stepping on any toes, I'll try to leave the boots off next time.

Don't like the safety digging into your skin? Get a holster that corrects that problem, or go ahead and carry a different gun, your choice, semi free country and all. Just drop that excuse, because that's all it is, a damn excuse. Speak the truth and explain it as personal preference, there's no shame in that.

GLOCK reliability was what brought this thread into being. CJ, GLOCK is a fine, reliable gun. I don't like it for a number of reasons. The lack of a safety doesn't bother me that much (it does stay in the back of my mind, but that only makes me be more careful with it). It's the ergos I don't like. The grip angle is all wrong for me. I have to angle my wrist down at a severely unnatural angle (any other gun, and I'd be shooting the dirt less than ten feet in front of me, that's just how hard I have to pull the muzzle down). The grip shape doesn't feel good in my hand. I don't care for the sights, but I'm no less accurate with them than any other gun (I'm a good shot too).

Old 08-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #56

As far as them being the best? Ha. not a chance. There's no such thing as best. And before anyone says "143.2% of police departments and militaries carry them", guess what? Police department guns are often chosen by bean counters with a minimum list of requirements given to them. Add in the LEA discount, and it's been known to happen that some departments have filled their armories at $300 per unit. It's no mystery. Their use by police departments does not denote any magical qualities.

Anyone want to debate how or why the M&P is gaining ground so quickly on the number of departments issuing them? Nah.... surely it couldn't be because some departments are getting them cheaper and they're just as good.

You choose a personal carry weapon based on preference. You carry a duty weapon because it's issued. What police departments carry don't mean ****. I don't personally know a cop who actually wants to carry their GLOCK, and I know several. One who has a choice carries a Sig in .40 (not sure of the model) and occasionally switches it up with a Khar. But I know a couple here on the forum that do like their GLOCK issued by their department.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #57
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19564 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49223

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocknloaded View Post
Glocks aren't pretty or flashy and they don't look pretty in the safe. BUT anybody that's says they are not reliable is full of crap. Glocks are a perfect "Duty" weapon due to their ease of use, reliability and lack of parts.

Facts are facts. A lot of other great reliable guns out there but Glock is on the top of the list
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
What can a GLOCK do that an XD or an M&P cant do?
i have nothing personal against a Glock and will be one of the first to say they are a very reliable platform of pistol, just like many others out there. my biggest issue has always been the ergonomics of the pistol and have found others that fit my hand better, just as many others have found.

if the Glock fits your hand, then it's a good choice, and will serve a person quite well. but if not then there are other options out there that perform just as well and as reliabily as the Glock. really in these times, it would be much harder to find a pistol that doesn't work well anymore, steel or polymer.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #58

Was watching mid south outdoors one morning. These two geezers on the show were sharing questions from their viewers.

One question was : What's the best rifle and caliber for hunting whitetail deer? (Damn, don't that sound familiar to you guys?)

Their answer? Whatever you shoot best, and can safely and humanely take the deer with.

Applies here as well.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 828 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

i have nothing personal against a Glock and will be one of the first to say they are a very reliable platform of pistol, just like many others out there. my biggest issue has always been the ergonomics of the pistol and have found others that fit my hand better, just as many others have found.

if the Glock fits your hand, then it's a good choice, and will serve a person quite well. but if not then there are other options out there that perform just as well and as reliabily as the Glock. really in these times, it would be much harder to find a pistol that doesn't work well anymore, steel or polymer.
I have one Glock...
Have owned since new a 30 .45 for 17 years....no issues but for some bad hand loads that a buddy brought to camp...
Probably a result of time, but the most 'familiar' handgun I own...no adjustments needed when I pick it up.
Not looking for another...

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #60

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
I doint think anyone is saying they are nor reliable. Lots of handguns are as reliable as Glocks. A Toyota corolla is reliable but if I had a choice I would go for a BMW. One of the main reasons they are popular with police apart from reliability is price.
More to it then price.. A lot of guns in the same price range as Glock. Glock is just proven itself beyond a responsible doubt,

Closed Thread