Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   I did not know glocks are as good... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/i-did-not-know-glocks-good-95949/)

CJx 08-24-2013 11:51 AM

I did not know glocks are as good...

Ever since I took interest in guns, I always thought that Glocks were low quality weapons that malfunctioned frequently and were made cheaply out of cheap parts. Of course I did not do any research on them just heard that they were largely plastic and heard of some jam issues with them.

Now that I have actually been researching Glocks, I like them more and more with every user account i read or video i watch. I actually think Glocks are very good looking guns, and I had no idea of their reputation as a quality, reliable firearm.

Basically, I did not knows Glocks are as good as they are :eek: Did anyone else have the presumed opinion that Glocks were low quality like I did? And if you own a Glock, how would you rate your experience with it?

mountainman13 08-24-2013 12:10 PM

Lol. Everyone you've been listening to must be 1911 fan boys.
Glocks have always had the reputation of being extremely tough and reliable guns.
Name one other gun that you can use the slide to sharpen a knife.
There is a reason they are the primary choice for law enforcement.
They are not pretty guns though.

karateguy28 08-24-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1345049)
Lol. Everyone you've been listening to must be 1911 fan boys.
Glocks have always had the reputation of being extremely tough and reliable guns.
Name one other gun that you can use the slide to sharpen a knife.
There is a reason they are the primary choice for law enforcement.
They are not pretty guns though.

Exactly. There are two sides to every story, or in this case, gun. There is not a single gun on this planet that is liked by everybody. There are people that hate the most expensive 1911's, yet praise Hi Points. Bottom line is, you need to decide for yourself. Always go in with an open mind because you never know what you could be missing.

DeltaF 08-24-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJx
Ever since I took interest in guns, I always thought that Glocks were low quality weapons that malfunctioned frequently and were made cheaply out of cheap parts. Of course I did not do any research on them just heard that they were largely plastic and heard of some jam issues with them.

Now that I have actually been researching Glocks, I like them more and more with every user account i read or video i watch. I actually think Glocks are very good looking guns, and I had no idea of their reputation as a quality, reliable firearm.

Basically, I did not knows Glocks are as good as they are :eek: Did anyone else have the presumed opinion that Glocks were low quality like I did? And if you own a Glock, how would you rate your experience with it?

I love Glocks. I trust a Glock more than any other pistol out there to function no matter what I put it through. For a reliable service pistol, I wouldn't pick anything else even if I had the choice.

Of course I'm biased because that's what I was brought up shooting. The first gun I ever bought was a Glock. And my agency issues Glocks. I live in a Glock world. Other guns may be prettier, shoot tighter groups in competition, and may have smoother trigger pull....

But I know that when I squeeze my trigger, the Glock goes bang! Every time.

ScottA 08-24-2013 12:51 PM

Oh Glocks are extremely reliable. They are just ugly as sin and feel about as ergonomic as a brick.

rifleman1 08-24-2013 01:19 PM

there arealot of great pistols out there,but the glock is just an all around work horse.i own quite a few pistols and revolvers but my everyday go to carry gun is my g19.

Argyle_Armoring 08-24-2013 01:24 PM

Once you go Glock you never go back. Rock out with your Glock out!

hardluk1 08-24-2013 01:28 PM

CJx If you will do some research you will find Chuck Taylors glock 17 bought new in 1988 that's over 300,000 rounds with very few parts issues mainly mantainence, an extractor and finally replaced a barrel do to group size getting a bit big not do to any failure.

txpossum 08-24-2013 04:25 PM

I am solidly in the 1911 camp; I do not especially care for Glocks. I have owned one, shot several, and can say that they do well what they were designed to do. They are reasonably accurate, considering their long, heavy trigger pull (although it seems these have gotten better as time goes on, and, of course, I'm comparing the trigger to that of a 1911, which is a completely different system), are reliable, and take a lot of abuse. To me, they feel like I'm holding a brick, but to each their own.

Overkill0084 08-24-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJx (Post 1345041)
Ever since I took interest in guns, I always thought that Glocks were low quality weapons that malfunctioned frequently and were made cheaply out of cheap parts. They are made to a price point without the benefit of old world craftsmanship. But to be fair, that was one of the design goals. Calling them low quality is a bit unfair though. Reliability is crucial for any maker and that has never been a Glock problem.
Of course I did not do any research on them just heard that they were largely plastic and heard of some jam issues with them. Plastic isn't really the issue it once was. Polymer frames are cheaper to make and lighter.
Now that I have actually been researching Glocks, I like them more and more with every user account i read or video i watch. I actually think Glocks are very good looking guns, and I had no idea of their reputation as a quality, reliable firearm. Good looking is a bit of a stretch, but whatever floats your boat. Their quality is fine, one could argue ergos and refinement could use work. Frankly for something designed by a guy who had previously designed bathroom fixtures, you'd think aesthetics would matter more.
Basically, I did not knows Glocks are as good as they are :eek: Did anyone else have the presumed opinion that Glocks were low quality like I did? That's not the usual problem. IMHO, Glock has a pop culture following that tends to make them out to be more than they are. While they are a good service weapon, they aren't magical. And if you own a Glock, how would you rate your experience with it?

I remember my first experience with Glocks. My Dad was an early adopter and had several different ones of differing sizes & calibers. Probably Gen 2 or early Gen 3s. I wanted to like them, really I did. But I came away underwhelmed. I couldn't get past the weird trigger or the clunky ergos. The Gen 4s seem to have made decent progress in this area. Glocks are practical, durable and reliable. This is why they have attracted a large LE following. Though, without a LEO discount, they are overpriced (IMHO) when compared to some of their competitors.
I don't hate Glocks, I just don't get all the hype either. If forced to purchase my own duty weapon, I'd grab a CZ or an M&P first.
Before the Glock torture test folks show up...I don't care if you drive a tank over it and still shoot it.