Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > How Often to Clean G19 Gen4?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I clean all my firearms each time after I shoot them. I like a clean good running firearm.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 AM   #22

Default Glock Scheduled cleaning

I clean my Glocks twice a year. I have friends that NEVER clean their Glocks. The darn things just work!
Too much oil on a Glock is a baaaad thing!

Sig P238
Ruger SR9c
Kahr PM9

Old 01-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #23

I saw one Glock in 45 ACP that was fired 500,000 rounds without being cleaned or oiled without a malfunction. I clean mine every time I use it. Habit. Very little lube. Our armorer tells us that two drops of lubrication is all that should be used. Only on metal to metal contact.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I served with the Marines in Vietnam 68-69. A Corporal cleaned his M16 whenever he was not doing something else...preparing for a mission, eating, making a better fighting position, etc...he would clean his rifle. I asked him why? I was told that this rifle was the tool of his trade, Infantry Marine. We were not too sure of the reliability of the M16 at this point in time. I was told it would not fail because of being dirty. It may save his life, his fellow Marines lives or even my life (Hospital Corpsman). It will not fail because of being dirty. I practice what that Marine taught me to this day. Retired military 29 years. Keep it clean!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #25

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Since the Glock is BY FAR one of the easiest pistols to disassemble and clean....why WOULDN'T you clean after every use?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #26

My personal. The M 16 is junk in a wet climate, and even when kept reasonably clean, may or may not function due to impingment of direct gases on the bolt/carrier. Seems that they are not quite as cranky in dry climate, but question sustained fire in full mode. The Glock doesn't seem to have that problem, and I have seen a video of a 500,000 round test on one in the .45 ACP caliber, run without attention, and abuse by most standards. While very little attention to the Glocks maintenance seems to be needed, I clean mine after each use, necessary or not. Also served in the Corps, and perhaps an overkill habit on the cleaning. I own four Model 22s and a 27, and never had a malfunction with any of them. My duty Glock 22, gets a lot of rounds through it. A couple of drops of spread out oil on contact points, after a cleaning, a wipe down, and I'm good to go.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #27
RUT

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

>>Also served in the Corps, and perhaps an overkill habit on the cleaning<

Ditto that. I think anyone who's spent any time in the service (especially the Corps) has a thorough understanding of how and when to clean a weapon.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #28

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Okay, for those of us who haven't been in the military, like I assume the OP has not.....

Personally, I don't see cleaning my guns as a chore, I actually like it.

Many differing opinions here. As I said before, since the Glock is so easy to clean, is it that much of a chore to err on the side of caution? It takes five minutes. Why take the chance of reduced performance or safety by listening to so-called Internet "experts?"

Yeah, even me!