Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   How Often to Clean G19 Gen4? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/how-often-clean-g19-gen4-33837/)

ejewels 11-01-2010 05:16 PM

How Often to Clean G19 Gen4?

So, I'm wondering how often you should clean / lube your glock. The manual says after each range trip. But what do you guys all do... do you clean / lube after every range trip? Also, I've read it is really important to clean after using corrosive ammo. What is an example of corrosive ammo?

NGIB 11-01-2010 05:22 PM

Life is simple if you clean your gun after you shoot your gun - the brand of the gun doesn't matter. Corrosive ammo is mainly military surplus ammo and applies more to rifles than pistols...

indyfan 11-01-2010 05:31 PM

I keep my 19 in my car during work. I oil it up about once a week just to make sure that the heat in the car isn't drying up the oil. It seems excessive, but its better to be prepared than unprepared. This handgun could be my lifeline one of these days and the last thing I want is a failure.

I always clean it before and after a range trip as well.

My friend claims that he can run his Glock without cleaning it for a long time. I'm pretty sure he can, but like I said, it's always better to be prepared.

WoodysKJ 11-01-2010 05:44 PM

Cleaning is a way for you to inspect the firearm. Inspecting eliminates ANY possible surprise in a stressful situation. It should be done after each trip. Just a good habit to get into.

Being a Glock, do you HAVE to every time, NO. Should you, YES. Again a great habit to get into. Being that i is one of the easiest handguns to strip and clean, Why are you hesitant to do so?

Another fact is that if this is a carry gun then it would keep your clothes cleaner.

Also Chics love the smell of Gun Oil as a cologne.

Rampco88 11-07-2010 02:41 PM

Do not attempt this at home.

I clean mine after every use too.

Just to throw it out there..A guy at my local gun store cleaned his 23 for the first time after 3K rounds. With no reported malfunctions! I wouldn't advise that but I guess he was trying to prove a point. Plus, it was not his carry gun.

hawkeye 11-11-2010 11:57 PM

I clean mine after every range trip also. I like messing with guns so it is not a chore. Besides, with a glock it takes just a couple of minutes as they break down so easily.

CHLChris 11-12-2010 12:13 AM

I don't understand cleaning it BEFORE the range trip, but after is a great plan.

Cleaning it gives you a better understanding of its parts and their function. If you go to the range only every now and then (as in, months go by...), you should probably clean it in between, too, just to keep the oil fresh.

I mean, it's a Glock! It takes, what, 15 seconds to field strip? 5 minutes to clean, and 3 more minutes to oil the slide and rails?

Tinob 11-19-2010 10:48 PM

I clean mine after everytime I go the range

hunter Joe 11-20-2010 10:41 PM

We have Glocks in the rental case at the range and usually clean them when they stop working and needless to say, it ain't very often, normally thousands of rounds.

The problem is that some people oil the crap of of their Glocks and the oil collects dirt and hinders performance. On the Glocks all you need to do is put a little oil on the tip of you index finger and touch the four metal tabs on the frame where the slide rides and a drop of oil on the connector.

On my personal Glocks I normally clean and inspect every thousand rounds or so. This is a complete strip and clean.

Neophyte1 11-21-2010 10:59 AM

Cleaning

another view on cleaning;

a very simple procedure; taking only a few minuets; minimal cost; minimal mess
a time; to inspect, treat, familurize

equals less doubt; when! trigger is pulled.