How Many Have A Hard Rod??? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > How Many Have A Hard Rod???

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44_Special View Post
I got the Lone Wolf stainless steel guide rod for my G19....never a problem and the price was right.
Think i'll get one & a spring - least i'll have a spare set
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 147
Liked 118 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_blue79 View Post
I used the Lone Wolf in mine, thing I liked is, if the spring needs replaced you can unscrew the allen head screw on the end. I just didn't feel like a plastic guide rod would last long..
I haven't heard of anybody having trouble with the stock guide rod wearing out or breaking. Have you?
__________________
blackxpress is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 132
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Default

I just looked up that lone wolf guide rod and I like it...plus its cheap. Any issues after you installed ? I have a gen 3 g21 id like to put it on and id prob keep the original spring

__________________
kyboy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 147
Liked 118 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_blue79 View Post
No, it's just piece of mind, I don't trust a piece of plastic with a spring on it to keep my pistol operating. Besides, the SS Guide Rod and New Spring tightened the action right back up.
Whatever. It's your gun so do what you want. Not trying to be a jerk about it but I do think it's interesting that you trust a plastic gun but you don't trust a plastic guide rod. Personally, I trust Glock to know what they're doing. I've never understood why people buy a Glock and then immediately start replacing all its parts. I always replace the sights but only because I like night sights on my guns. Other than that I leave them stock and I trust them to get the job done, which they always do. But that's just me.
__________________
blackxpress is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackxpress View Post
Whatever. It's your gun so do what you want. Not trying to be a jerk about it but I do think it's interesting that you trust a plastic gun but you don't trust a plastic guide rod. Personally, I trust Glock to know what they're doing. I've never understood why people buy a Glock and then immediately start replacing all its parts. I always replace the sights but only because I like night sights on my guns. Other than that I leave them stock and I trust them to get the job done, which they always do. But that's just me.
Enuff- I asked for experience with one- not a pissin contest over aftermarket parts "Should or shouldn't you" use them
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2218 Times on 1524 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

The plastic guide rod in glock and kel tec pistols was designed to make the pistols more reliable. Installing a metal guide rod is not going to make your pistol more durable. Call customer support before you install a metal guide rod in your pistol, they will confirm my words.

Plastic guide rods have a larger head that prevents the recoil spring from slipping over the head of the guide rod, something that will bind up your pistol. Plastic guide rods flex eliminating binding.

__________________

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-28-2014 at 11:51 AM.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The plastic guide rod in glock and kel tec pistols was designed to make the pistols more reliable. Installing a metal guide rod is not going to make your pistol more durable. Call customer support before you install a metal guide rod in your pistol, they will confirm my words.
Well, bottom line is after reading is I didn't order one-
Figure Glock is a Glock for a reason

You know, i'm pretty surprised nobody compared my question to the age old classic " does a FLGR help my 1911" question
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 132
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Well, bottom line is after reading is I didn't order one-
Figure Glock is a Glock for a reason

You know, i'm pretty surprised nobody compared my question to the age old classic " does a FLGR help my 1911" question
Thats exactly what I was thinking hoss. I bought a Glock because I trust Glock, so why start changing out parts. Glock made it plastic for a reason and ill prob do the same as you by keeping it
__________________
kyboy is offline  
HOSSFLY Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WillWorkForAmmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyboy View Post
Thats exactly what I was thinking hoss. I bought a Glock because I trust Glock, so why start changing out parts. Glock made it plastic for a reason and ill prob do the same as you by keeping it

Agreed glock made the gun there's a reason it's stock with that engineers make this stuff and I don't have that degree unless glock would recommend it I would stay stock.


Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
__________________
WillWorkForAmmo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 50
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Default

I went with a SS rod because the plastic one had a chip out of it on the end. So I replaced all mine with SS. I have heard people call the plastic ones the only weak link in the gun.

The people that make them claim that they give you less muzzle flip. I couldn't tell any difference.

__________________

Last edited by Ishooter; 02-01-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Ishooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Hard To Believe. manta Legal and Activism 33 12-24-2012 11:33 PM
times are get'n hard' rigjumpr DIY Projects 11 09-20-2011 12:15 AM
hard decision nikotromus11 General Rifle Discussion 6 10-21-2010 01:04 PM
How hard was it to get your CWL? Unknown Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 38 11-20-2009 12:19 AM