Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   How Many Have A Hard Rod??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/how-many-have-hard-rod-103207/)

HOSSFLY 01-24-2014 02:49 PM

How Many Have A Hard Rod???

Yeah Yeah---Most would lie to me anyways :p
Seriously---Is there much or any benefit in adding a stainless steel guide rod :confused:
I'm about to order a few little things from Midway & thought I might get one for my 19-----

kyboy 01-24-2014 03:58 PM

Good question....I've been wondering the same thing and was thinking of getting one. I dknt see why it could hurt. Im interested to see what the others say

HOSSFLY 01-24-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyboy (Post 1490341)
Good question....I've been wondering the same thing and was thinking of getting one. I dknt see why it could hurt. Im interested to see what the others say

Me too- only about 20 bucks----
I've heard a few say they had to remove them cause their glocks just wouldn't run with them but never really heard any say they were a benefit :confused:

kyboy 01-24-2014 04:12 PM

The only thing ive read regarding this is that most guys that get the steel rod get a new spring as well which is usually stiffer thus requiring using hotter loads all the time. Ive never known anyone who just put the rod in with the stock spring. I wonder why it wouldnt run ?

vincent 01-24-2014 04:19 PM

Metal being stronger than plastic?

I suppose if you get the same spring tension, cycling wouldn't be an issue?

I've heard some say the added weight helps control muzzle climb although I can't see it being enough to make a noticeable difference...

IIRC GLOCK recommends an upgraded RSA for +P, +P+ loads as the plastic will fatigue faster...

It's a wear and tear part, can't hurt to have an extra on hand, metal or plastic...

blackxpress 01-24-2014 05:44 PM

I was told be a Glock armorer that it puts too much strain on the frame because the polymer guide rod is designed to flex a little whereas the steel rod doesn't. Don't know if he was right about that or not but I leave mine stock just in case.

kyboy 01-24-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackxpress (Post 1490453)
I was told be a Glock armorer that it puts too much strain on the frame because the polymer guide rod is designed to flex a little whereas the steel rod doesn't. Don't know if he was right about that or not but I leave mine stock just in case.

Yea...now that I think abt it when the slide is locked all the way back the barrel does curve up a little. That rod may be a bad idea

Quentin 01-24-2014 08:43 PM

I'm not interested in trying one. 95+% of Glocks, including mine, work fine with the stock plastic guide rod so I'll stay put.

HOSSFLY 01-25-2014 11:29 AM

I expected mixed opinions/reviews--
I dunno-
I'll decide Monday when I place the order -- don't concider it a big deal-as been said--vast majority will & do run fine with factory :)

44_Special 01-26-2014 12:19 AM

I got the Lone Wolf stainless steel guide rod for my G19....never a problem and the price was right.