Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   How many change their plastic guide rod for steel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/how-many-change-their-plastic-guide-rod-steel-32153/)

Eric76 09-24-2010 01:16 AM

How many change their plastic guide rod for steel
 
I love my new Glock 19 the only thing I considerd was the guide rod. How many of you guys have switched to SS or something else and what do you think? Im up in the air on rather or not to put a SS one in. No change to the spring weight, just a SS rod captured with factory weight spring.

Eric76 09-24-2010 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G37 (Post 356407)
Some say the guide rod flexes with the frame throughout recoiling. I tend to believe that. What difference a non flexible solid metal rod will make, I have no clue. For the price of a factory unit I just replace it at the Glock reccomended interval. They are good springs and are a good bit less than say an ISMI...

Probably wouldnt hurt anything at all. Keeping the weight the same as factory is pretty smart too..

Thanks for the input. When I 1st started looking into it ,I think I got sucked in to the internet talk about this being necessary. I think Im with you it is designed that way so , its probably better than adding a harder heavier rod. Besides I am more accurate with this weapon ,than any other I've shot ,the way it is right out of the box (Why should I change a good thing?).I thought if someone made a good point to me about steel I would listen.

indyfan 09-24-2010 03:38 AM

Here's a list of things my local Glock Armorer advised I should upgrade on my G19

Trigger
slide release
mag release
Spring

M14sRock 09-24-2010 04:31 AM

I've been a Glock Armorer and Transitional Law Enforcement Instructor since 1989, and still use the factory Glock plastic guide rods in my 9mm's. Never had a problem of any kind.

Though I do have a Harrts Recoil Reducing system that I keep in my .357Sig top end, with a beefed up spring.

Your G19 is GTG for several thousand rds with that spring and guide rod.

DrumJunkie 09-24-2010 06:37 AM

Back when I had a Glock I did change the rod for a steel one. But it was more about wanting a different spring (was breaking all the rules with some reloaded ammo and it was a litttle hot). I have never heard of one of the plastic guide rods failing. They sure look like they might but it just never seems to happen so I guess they are plenty stout enough.

I am no Glock fan for reasons of my own. But you can not dispute that they work just like they come out of the box. For what a Glock is built for they fill that need quite well. If you have one and you are not having any issues from your plastic rod then leave it be. Save the money for ammo to scare your neighbors :eek:.

Eric76 09-24-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 356486)
Back when I had a Glock I did change the rod for a steel one. But it was more about wanting a different spring (was breaking all the rules with some reloaded ammo and it was a litttle hot). I have never heard of one of the plastic guide rods failing. They sure look like they might but it just never seems to happen so I guess they are plenty stout enough.

I am no Glock fan for reasons of my own. But you can not dispute that they work just like they come out of the box. For what a Glock is built for they fill that need quite well. If you have one and you are not having any issues from your plastic rod then leave it be. Save the money for ammo to scare your neighbors :eek:.

Im thinking the same thing , I should just change it when im supposed to (i think its 7000 rds in the manual) and at this rate that will be a long time.....
By the way I love your signature,which would you say we are right now? Im leaning toward the former....

ElvisIsDead 09-24-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfan (Post 356442)
Here's a list of things my local Glock Armorer advised I should upgrade on my G19

Trigger
slide release
mag release
Spring

Being the new kid on the block here I don't want to rock the boat quite yet. I'll do plenty of that once my feet are planted better here on the forum but I do have to ask something. How much money did you spend doing all these upgrades? Was the Glock Armorer who suggested you do all this the same one you paid to do it? Does performing these upgrades void your warranty? I don't know much about Glocks so I may be wrong. I'm an older guy from the old school shooting style where guns are made of metal. Plastic guns to me are something I buy my grandchildren, they fill them with water and squirt each other in the yard. Give me a Smith & Wesson, Ruger or Colt .357 magnum or a 1911 anyday.

I don't intend this series of questions to insult anyone but to me it just makes more sense to buy a gun that came with all these upgrades standard from the factory even if you have to spend a little more money. An I just being a crazy old koot?

M14sRock 09-24-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElvisIsDead (Post 356585)
Being the new kid on the block here I don't want to rock the boat quite yet. I'll do plenty of that once my feet are planted better here on the forum but I do have to ask something. How much money did you spend doing all these upgrades? Was the Glock Armorer who suggested you do all this the same one you paid to do it? Does performing these upgrades void your warranty? I don't know much about Glocks so I may be wrong. I'm an older guy from the old school shooting style where guns are made of metal. Plastic guns to me are something I buy my grandchildren, they fill them with water and squirt each other in the yard. Give me a Smith & Wesson, Ruger or Colt .357 magnum or a 1911 anyday.

I don't intend this series of questions to insult anyone but to me it just makes more sense to buy a gun that came with all these upgrades standard from the factory even if you have to spend a little more money. An I just being a crazy old koot?

No insult here, and you don't seem like a "Crazy old coot".

Changing those parts is personal taste, but not necesary at all. Personally I hate the extended slide stops (on anything), especially on Glocks. And I find the factory plastic recoil guide to be outstanding, and easy. My Glocks do all sport smooth triggers. Doing these upgrades, if desired, would run about $50.

For comparison, just putting a good slide stop in a 1911 will cost more than half of that.

StanDJ77 09-24-2010 11:34 PM

I heard the steel guide spring rod helps with recoil. Other than that and being more durable, the stocked one should be suffice. Me personally, the rod would be the only thing i would change. I examined the glock and the mag, slide release, and slide stop all seemed just fine for me:)

Eric76 09-25-2010 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanDJ77 (Post 356930)
I heard the steel guide spring rod helps with recoil. Other than that and being more durable, the stocked one should be suffice. Me personally, the rod would be the only thing i would change. I examined the glock and the mag, slide release, and slide stop all seemed just fine for me:)

That was really the only reason I considered the SS rod was to control the muzzle flip but I been able to do that more and more as I practice so I dont think Ill be changing it..Do you own a glock and have experience with the SS. Just curious if it helped the muzzle flip at all. I was told by a armorer for Glock who know his guns to leave it alone so if Im not gaining anything Ill leave it alone. As for all the other options, I like the gun as is , no other changes to mine.. Just played with the idea of changing the rod.People like the trigger job though. I know alot of glock owners have the trigger job done.Ill worry about that later...


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:45 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.