How good are Glocks really? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > How good are Glocks really?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
Because most municipalities/counties/states have Glocks has nothing to do with being "good enough", they have them because Glock submitted the lowest bid or the municipalities/counties/states piggy backed off another government contract.

Do I like the Glock? No. I have only owned a G22 and it experienced a Kaboom.
I did municipal purchasing as part of my job. I can't remember ever going with the lowest bidder unless we had multiple suppliers all offering the exact same piece of equipment with the warranty and service contracts specified by us.

In these days of rampant litigation a municipality can't afford to buy just because the bidder came in low. The ability to do the required job as safely as possible has to be the first consideration when buying any piece of equipment. If the Glock was unsafe for LE it wouldn't have been considered.

In my opinion the Glock problem known as Glock leg is mostly due to the deeper concealment requirements placed on the citizen. Have you ever seen a cop get arrested because his off duty carry is printing? We have to carry tighter, higher, and in more concealable (read: thinner) holsters than an off duty LEO would need. The Glock was not designed for this. It was designed for duty wear in police and military applications.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #72

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609

My second firearm was a Glock 23 Gen 1. I took it home, cleaned it, and the following weekend we went shooting at a range in NH. After 5 rounds the striker broke. Luckily, the range I was at had a Glock armorer, and he replaced it with a titanium striker (while joking that is was now Mass compliant - I live in Mass).

Now, this isn't the only pre-owned firearm I had, but, it is the only one that ever had anything break.

On a side note, as far as crawling through the mud and wet sand and such, you won't be doing that with a handgun with it's action open, and if you are, why?
I had a personal experience where I was in the middle of a speed reload, action open, and dropped my gun on the muddy sandy
range. Figured heck, what better time for a mini torture test? So I loaded it up without even shaking it off, and proceeded to fire 200 rnds of 9mm before cleaning. This was a glock 19 gen 3. So obviously I was/am very impressed.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #73

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
NO, I'm just saying that no other brand gun has had

systematic ADs to the point it got named, as a

specific syndrome.
In essence, "Glock Leg" for example,

which speaks to a paradigm of ADs so widespread and severe

it has been specifically named, by brand.

I'm, honestly, a little surprised you guys are all willing to put up with

Glock's crappy, and rather arrogant CS anyway.

Because, overall, you seem like fairly sensible folks.
Just because someone has put a name to the incidences really means nothing. As someone else said, there are so many Glocks in service that there are bound to be people stupid enough to be causing ADs with them. I really don't think it's a problem with the gun, it's the operators that screw up then blame the gun.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 09-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #74

Liked 1094 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

NO, I'm just saying that no other brand gun has had

systematic ADs to the point it got named, as a

specific syndrome. In essence, "Glock Leg" for example,

which speaks to a paradigm of ADs so widespread and severe

it has been specifically named, by brand.

I'm, honestly, a little surprised you guys are all willing to put up with

Glock's crappy, and rather arrogant CS anyway.

Because, overall, you seem like fairly sensible folks.
I have a question for you. Who made up the term "glock leg"? Most likely someone who dislikes GLOCK! Look at all the acronyms for Ford, examples: First On Race Day, F**k Over Rebuilt Dodge, Found On Road Dead, and my personal favorite which is spelled backwards Driver Returns On Foot!! These were mostly made by Chevy owners except the first one. So, the term means nothing IMO. People have AD/ND with any gun out there. Thanks for all your opinions.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #75

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I really like how customizable and easy my Glock 19 3rd gen is to clean and use. After shooting over 500 rounds I've experienced only 2 FTE's with cheap ammo. I replaced the slide lock lever with an extended one but keep finding other little annoyances and want to replace the sights (XS big dot) next. My grip also seems to slip after about 5 rounds so I am also looking at more aggressive (Talon) alternatives. I am also looking at getting an XDM to compare. Just my$.02

Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #76

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Doc 3402; I would assume your city/town does not require the approval of the city commission to make major procurements, which i doubt. Why would anyone not go with the lowest bid if all bidders met or exceeded all the specifications as outlined in the bid package. Who makes the determination that a glock is better than S&W M&P or any other supplier. I do believe the lowest bidder would have grounds to protest his non selection and most would.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
Doc 3402; I would assume your city/town does not require the approval of the city commission to make major procurements, which i doubt. Why would anyone not go with the lowest bid if all bidders met or exceeded all the specifications as outlined in the bid package. Who makes the determination that a glock is better than S&W M&P or any other supplier. I do believe the lowest bidder would have grounds to protest his non selection and most would.
Yes, we did have to have final approval for any purchase, but the lowest bid does not always provide the best equipment. Since this is a gun forum let's go with this example.

If a PD specified a 4 to 5 inch barrel .40 S&W with a capacity of 10 or more rounds I can think of several manufacturers that can and do beat Glock's prices. Does that mean the PD putting out the bid has to outfit their officers with Hi Points just because the bid is cheaper?

Have you ever seen a department issuing Hi Point? You probably never will, but MSRP puts them at $300 less than Glock. This is where liability comes into play. How many potential millions are you putting on the table when you gave the widow's late husband a piece of crap weapon and sent him in harms way? For what one wrongful death lawsuit would cost a municipality they could outfit every officer with Wilson Combat pistols.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #78

Liked 2450 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
I have a question for you. Who made up the term "glock leg"? Most likely someone who dislikes GLOCK! Look at all the acronyms for Ford, examples: First On Race Day, F**k Over Rebuilt Dodge, Found On Road Dead, and my personal favorite which is spelled backwards Driver Returns On Foot!! These were mostly made by Chevy owners except the first one. So, the term means nothing IMO. People have AD/ND with any gun out there. Thanks for all your opinions.
Interesting you should make the comparison of Glock to Ford, they

pretty much are the Glocks of the auto industry. Same built-in style

defects, same arrogant, crappy CS.

The difference here is nobody I know of has ever blown a part

of their anatomy off CCing a ford.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #79

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

Interesting you should make the comparison of Glock to Ford, they

pretty much are the Glocks of the auto industry. Same built-in style

defects, same arrogant, crappy CS.

The difference here is nobody I know of has ever blown a part

of their anatomy off CCing a ford.
How many foolish firearm owners do you personally know that blew their digits off because of "Glock leg"? or as I call it impoper firearm handling.

Last edited by gladesbassin; 09-28-2012 at 09:32 PM.
jeepejeep Likes This 
Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #80

Liked 409 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

with 45 plus countries issueing glocks to military and police depts if glock leg was as bad as some make it out to be i think it would be an every day occurance.
there are roughly over 2.5 million glocks in the world of course you will have the occasional n.d.thats the facts of life,regardless of brand some people will shoot themselves.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

jeepejeep Likes This 
Closed Thread