Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > How good are Glocks really?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
So your saying that 1911 can't be reliable and accurate? My nightstand gun (& CC) is a DW CCO. It's as it came from the factory, and it's quite reliable & extremely accurate. I would go so far as to say, that most pistols these days will serve just fine. Contrary to popular belief, Glock didn't invent reliability, they just sort of idiot proofed it with a simple design. Most modern semiautos are "reliable." If they aren't, service or repair is in order.

If my current SD/CC guns have been 100% reliable to this point, will I see improvement by switching to something "better?"
Not saying 1911 aren't reliable. I carry one everyday. But as far as shtf, glock all day. Not saying its a good idea or that it happens often, but throw both in the sandy river bottom, then the mud with the action open, chamber and see which one goes farther. My money's on the glock.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2533 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
Not saying 1911 aren't reliable. I carry one everyday. But as far as shtf, glock all day. Not saying its a good idea or that it happens often, but throw both in the sandy river bottom, then the mud with the action open, chamber and see which one goes farther. My money's on the glock.
GI 1911s went through similar rotten treatment for decades in places like Guadalcanal, France, Vietnam, etc. The Marines just ordered a whole bunch of new Colt 1911s for some of their more specialized troops. They can't be all that fragile.
So how about S&W M&P or an XD or XDm? CZ? H&K? Sig Sauer? Walther? Beretta? There is no shortage of very good pistols out there. I would think many of them could survive some brutal treatment.
For an excrement hitting the fan situation, I'd grab my CZ75BD first. But I don't think one would be hosed if the only handgun they had was a 1911.
Hell, Hi Points have survived some pretty awful treatment. Judging by the youtube videos, maybe we should all get one of those.
I maintain that Glock didn't invent reliability, nor do they have the market for it cornered. They just market their wares more aggressively. I'm not slamming Glocks, I just fail to see them as particularly special. If one thinks Glocks are the cat's pajamas, then by all means, enjoy.
In the 80s Glocks were a new, cool and inexpensive alternative to the run of the mill handguns out there. They have, deservedly, earned a respected place in history. Well, they aren't new any more & competitors have closed the gap to the point that it's more about what you like better, rather than any clear superiority. I own an XD, and if I were to buy another polymer frame pistol, it would probably be a CZ or a M&P.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 09-24-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #33

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084

GI 1911s went through similar rotten treatment for decades in places like Guadalcanal, France, Vietnam, etc. The Marines just ordered a whole bunch of new Colt 1911s for some of their more specialized troops. They can't be all that fragile.
So how about S&W M&P or an XD or XDm? CZ? H&K? Sig Sauer? Walther? Beretta? There is no shortage of very good pistols out there. I would think many of them could survive some brutal treatment.
For an excrement hitting the fan situation, I'd grab my CZ75BD first. But I don't think one would be hosed if the only handgun they had was a 1911.
Hell, Hi Points have survived some pretty awful treatment. Judging by the youtube videos, maybe we should all get one of those.
I maintain that Glock didn't invent reliability, nor do they have the market for it cornered. They just market their wares more aggressively. I'm not slamming Glocks, I just fail to see them as particularly special. If one thinks Glocks are the cat's pajamas, then by all means, enjoy.
In the 80s Glocks were a new, cool and inexpensive alternative to the run of the mill handguns out there. Well, they aren't new any more & competitors have closed the gap to the point that it's more about what you like better rather than any clear superiority. I own an XD, and if I were to buy another polymer frame pistol, it would probably be a CZ or a M&P.
Its just that I read through lots of forums, here and elsewhere and you can always find ftf or fte or "extractor broken" striker roll pin broken" problems etc with other guns especially polymers...except glock. I literally can't remember the last time I heard someone complain of a problem with them. That's all. Once again though, not saying a guy with a 1911 style combat gun is under gunned by no means. I just think that if you took 100 glocks and 100 1911's and did something like what I described, more glocks would be left functioning. Not to mention glocks are half the price. I do love a sig p226 though not sure about sig vs. glock. Lol
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #34

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea but just cause someone states that they would rather have the Glock in a SHTF situation doesnt mean ill will towards other companies it's just that persons personal preference. H&k, sig,CZ all make good firearms but I would want my Glock In a SHTF scenario but respect all firearms equally. I wouldn't want an all metal firearm in harsh conditions and having to travel distance..an all polymer frame will just be easier to transport and in my opinion be easier to maintain 1911's are badarse firearms though as are h&k's. I have never had a problem with my Glock and I hardly clean it so mine is reliable although you'll probably find issues with any firearm company somewhere along the way.

Last edited by gladesbassin; 09-24-2012 at 07:07 PM.
jeepejeep Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #35

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
So your saying that 1911 can't be reliable and accurate? My nightstand gun (& CC) is a DW CCO. It's as it came from the factory, and it's quite reliable & extremely accurate. I would go so far as to say, that most pistols these days will serve just fine. Contrary to popular belief, Glock didn't invent reliability, they just sort of idiot proofed it with a simple design. Most modern semiautos are "reliable." If they aren't, service or repair is in order.

If my current SD/CC guns have been 100% reliable to this point, will I see improvement by switching to something "better?"
I never said that so please don't put words in my mouth. I've shot many 1911's and loved them all. The most accurate pistol I've ever shot was a 1911, I'm not a 1911 hater at all. They can be great guns but they are not immune to failures and are more so from my own experience and from what I've read. A lot of them need a lot of expensive work to be totally reliable which the majority of Glocks are right out of the box. The 1911 hasn't been around for more than 100 years for nothing for sure but the Glock is totally reliable almost every time right out of the box. That's the thing with them, they do not need to be made reliable, they just are by design.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Last edited by jeepejeep; 09-25-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:00 AM   #36

Liked 4430 Times on 2148 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
personally i have never owned a Glock, but have shot many of them over the years. i have just found other pistols that fit my hand better, so i have never owned one. would i buy a Glock? it depends on if the right one comes along at the right time and price. they are a reliable pistol that does what a pistol is suppose to do. and i will say this, my first love of pistols is and will always be 1911's, but i own other pistols for different reasons also.

best advice is, try one out and see if it suits you. if it doesn't fit your hand well, then there are probably better choices than the Glock. try out several different brands of pistols. buy the one that fits you well. the better the pistol fits you, the better a shooter you can be.
Axxe pretty much summed up my experience with and feelings about Glock Pistols.

I will add that a good friend and "self described ****ty pistol shot" finally increased his collection from 1 Gock to... 1 Glock, 1 Walther PPQ, 3 Sigs, and 2 HK's. He no longer describes himself as "a ****ty pistol shot" and has no need to, he's become quite proficient with "other" platforms.

Tack

Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

My Glock 27 has never had a failure to feed, failure to fire, a stovepipe, or any of the other things that can possibly go wrong when you're up to your butt in alligators. Neither has my Sig 1911, and since I've had it longer, it has easily had 10 times more rounds fed through it than the 27. Reliability is a non-issue for these two guns. They both go bang 100% of the time. If they didn't, they would now be somebody else's guns.

Are they accurate? Both guns are much more accurate than any of us will ever be, especially in a shooting situation. Besides, when you are using it as a self defense tool the last thing you want to do is put all your holes in the exact same spot. Spread them out and affect more organs. Trust me, this will come naturally when you get that massive adrenalin dump.

So which one is prettier? Who cares? It's a tool. Quit looking at it and start shooting it. Put down the Kool-Aid and have some fun for crying out loud. Quit trying to jack up your blood pressure arguing about stuff that just doesn't matter.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2533 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I never said that so please don't put words in my mouth. I've shot many 1911's and loved them all. The most accurate pistol I've ever shot was a 1911, I'm not a 1911 hater at all. They can be great guns but they are not immune to failures and are more so from my own experience and from what I've read. A lot of them need a lot of expensive work to be totally reliable which the majority of Glocks are right out of the box. The 1911 hasn't been around for more than 100 years for nothing for sure but the Glock is totally reliable almost every time right out of the box. That's the thing with them, they do not need to be made reliable, they just are by design.
I placed no words anywhere. I read what you wrote and asked a question. Followed by some assertions based on my own beliefs & experiences.

Quote:
While I appreciate a nice looking gun such as most 1911's especially ones with a little work done to them, and their triggers for the most part are so crisp and sweet, I want a gun that will function correctly every time, be accurate at self defense distances and feel good in my hand. My Glock 32 does all of the above and unlike some others, I don't think it's so ugly. In other words, it works for me!
If anyone else had written that (in bold), what would be your takeaway? Paraphrased: "While...you love 1911s, you want something that will work..." is what I got out of it. I simply asserted that 1911s (& others) can work just fine without undue fiddling about.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 09-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #39

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I can pick up a gun, align the sights, press the trigger, and a hole appears where the sights were looking. I like that gun. I have Glocks, M&Ps, and an XDm that all do it for me. What is written on the frame is not that important.

My two Glocks, a G20 and G21 serve me well, So to answer your question. "How good are Glocks really?) IMO they are real good, just as good as my other pistols.

My personal experience, yours may vary.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #40

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiboobooranger
I own several brands of firearms..many of which are used in the carry rotation. My main love is 1911 style handguns, BUT..when I go out, I usually have one of my compact Glocks on my side. They are noted for reliability, ease of use, and built in safeties. Ease of maintenance is also of a concern to me and Glocks are so easy to field strip, clean and put back together. So, to answer your original question..How good are Glocks really? I think they are a great firearm..I have shot thousands of rounds through mine with no issues at all. Change the Recoil spring about every 5000 rounds or so and you are good to go!!
Right on! So easy to maintain, clean etc.

Amani Na Upendo
Peace and Love,

Kamauhotep

Closed Thread