Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > How good are Glocks really?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #111
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

They are HORRIBLE man HORRIBLE! It's like driving a ford taurus in the late 1980's; if you park it in the middle of the lot, you will never be able to find yours and may end up accidentally fondling some other guy's pistol.

PUT A STICKER ON IT AS SOON AS YOU GET IT AT THE STORE.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #112
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Glocks are great pistols, they are reliable, accurate, are so easy to maintain and make great carry weapons.

Personally, I am not a fan of striker fired, or polymer weapons and I also find their bore axis a bit low for my taste, so they're not my choice for a pistol. But you can't deny the benefits that they possess and although they weren't the first polymer framed weapon they certainly revolutionized the industry upon their introduction.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
jeepejeep Likes This 
Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #113

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Howzat Lee Ann Womack song go?

Old 10-12-2012, 04:13 AM   #114
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3221

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
I had a personal experience where I was in the middle of a speed reload, action open, and dropped my gun on the muddy sandy
range. Figured heck, what better time for a mini torture test? So I loaded it up without even shaking it off, and proceeded to fire 200 rnds of 9mm before cleaning. This was a glock 19 gen 3. So obviously I was/am very impressed.

Yes, you "dropped" it, with the action open. TOTALLY different scenario than what the person I replied to had provided (i.e. CRAWLING through sand and mud with the action open).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Glocks. My first experience with it made me not like them. It wasn't until a friend of mine had me shoot his G20 that I started to like them again... but not as is. I still don't like the ergonomics, and many of the factory parts are sub par - IMHO.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 10-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #115

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

They are great, Mine fell down the elevator shaft from the 9th floor while I was at work getting someone out of a stuck elevator. Broke my heart after I got the lady out I went to the basement to retrieve it , No damage gun is flawless . Glock 23

Old 10-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #116

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I had an early G21 (1993 model) and was unaware of the perils of polygonal rifled barrels. I loaded up some 45 lead rounds and hit the range. After a few mags, there was a thump sound instead of a bang and I felt a bit of a sting on the webbing of my hand so I set the pistol down. The barrel was clear but the slide was stuck in battery. The 10rd mag was on the ground in pieces and the mag release button was gone. My hand was slightly charred where it rested near the mag release. I took the gun to a local gunsmith to have it inspected and repaired.
The verdict? Massive over pressure due to loading lead at FMJ pressures plus lead build up due to polygonal rifling. The bullet did clear the barrel but the pressure cracked the chamber almost an inch from the feed ramp to just before the barrel began. That was a lot of pressure! Yet the plastic fantastic held up. Excess pressure vented out the mag well and mag release. The frame was undamaged as well as most of my hand and my injury was very minor. I had to replace the barrel, mag catch and magazine! The gunsmith was in awe the plastic junk gun wasn't shredded from the pressure and heat. Both of us were Glock believers after that!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #117

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Love my Glock 30SF (45 cal)
Carried a Kimber 1911 sub compact for 10 years. Always had to worry about the safety being on and ruined many shirts from sitting down with it in the waistband. No safety with the Glock. Super easy to breakdown and clean (no breakdown tool required). I haven't ruined a shirt yet carrying in the waistband and it shoots better and holds more ammo than the 1911. Love, Love, Love the Glock 30SF. Oh and did I mention it is half the cost of a Kimber!!!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #118

Liked 226 Times on 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunwolf007
They are great, Mine fell down the elevator shaft from the 9th floor while I was at work getting someone out of a stuck elevator. Broke my heart after I got the lady out I went to the basement to retrieve it , No damage gun is flawless . Glock 23
I am looking at buying my first Glock and since i build elevators for a living, its good to know they are durable in a fall from a substantial height! I am interested in getting a .45 if anyone could give some input and/or suggestions. I have shot a Glock .40 that my friend had, and I was pretty pleased with the overall preformance.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #119

Liked 129 Times on 82 Posts

I am not really abusive to them. Nor have I tried all the tests I've seen done to them. I've enjoyed both a 19 and a 22. Flawless, great shooters.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #120

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turkeyhunter

I am looking at buying my first Glock and since i build elevators for a living, its good to know they are durable in a fall from a substantial height! I am interested in getting a .45 if anyone could give some input and/or suggestions. I have shot a Glock .40 that my friend had, and I was pretty pleased with the overall preformance.
I'm a firearms instr. for a range that is dominantly occupied by G22 and G23. There are 3 shooters with G21. Two of them are gen 3 and one is a gen 4. The G21( both generations )both shoot FMJ American Eagle 45 ACP 230gr and Federal Hydo-Shok hollow point 230 gr. On my range all three Glocks 21 s will have either a FTF or a FTE. Its only the G21 that this consistently happens to. Im a Glock armorist also and have inspected all 3 Glocks. They appear to all be fine with no parts broken or damaged. The next time I have the G21 Im going to test different ammo. Im not saying all G21s have this problem but it does happen with the three G 21 at my range.

Closed Thread