Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > How good are Glocks really?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How good are Glocks really?

I want to know the truth, how good are Glocks really? Iv heard some good things about this particular side arm but I want to hear what you guys know about them

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 702 Posts
Likes Given: 608

its all about personal opionion and what each person likes or dislikes. i am pretty much in the middle. they perform good, and are simple to use. this is one of the reasons i think they are popular. as far as reliability i have no first hand exprience. to me its just like any other pistol. if you like how it looks, feels, and shoots. then its goodfor you. if you dont , well maybe you should look to other choices.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
jeepejeep Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #3

Liked 1088 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Just like fuller said it all depends on how it feels with you. I carry a GLOCK 35 .40 cal and I love it. I haven't had one problem with it and shot over 1,000 rounds. You will hear people that dislike because of the ergonomics and how it looks. The main thing is how do you like it because we are not shooting it you are!

Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I own several brands of firearms..many of which are used in the carry rotation. My main love is 1911 style handguns, BUT..when I go out, I usually have one of my compact Glocks on my side. They are noted for reliability, ease of use, and built in safeties. Ease of maintenance is also of a concern to me and Glocks are so easy to field strip, clean and put back together. So, to answer your original question..How good are Glocks really? I think they are a great firearm..I have shot thousands of rounds through mine with no issues at all. Change the Recoil spring about every 5000 rounds or so and you are good to go!!

Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #5

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

The Glock is an ugly duckling only a mother could love..

Old 09-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twig96 View Post
I want to know the truth, how good are Glocks really? Iv heard some good things about this particular side arm but I want to hear what you guys know about them
Literally, good enough for govt work. Judging by the multitude of agencies that use them. For their intended use, they are extremely good. They are designed to be a reliable, durable as well as, inexpensive to own and maintain. They succeed in that goal. They are also ubiquitous, everyone and their cat makes Glock related parts, accessories & doodads.
As far as refinement, aesthetics and IMHO, ergonomics... not as much. Which is sort of disappointing when you think about it. You'd think that a pistol designed by a guy who previously designed bathroom fixtures could at least hit the mark with aesthetics and ergos. Perhaps if Kohler were to design a pistol...

Try one. If you like it, great. If not, there is no shortage of competitors out there. I don't really care for them myself, but one must give credit where it's due.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
Mason609 Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love my glock, enough to the point I bought it 3 weeks ago and am already looking to buy another. Now don't get me wrong it's not as pretty as a 1911(to me it is) but Iike the sayin goes "you get. 1911 to show to your friends, you get a GLOCK to show to the BG". They just have so many options to do to it, it's like the Honda of the gun world. I was influenced by my pops and uncle who were police officers when Miami police department started using em in like 1987-88. They are Great firearms for the money.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #8

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Agreed with all above...

IMHO GLOCK spends more on advertising than most manufacturers, crazy stress test videos, law enforcement contracts etc. They simply get a lot of publicity and it's easy for the 'fanboys' to be enamored with the procuct.

Yes, they are reliable...

Yes, they are accurate...

Yes, they are F-ugly as sin...

Yes, I own 2...

Yes, they are customizable as all get out...

No, it's not my favorite shooter...

No, I won't buy another one...

The only way for you to really tell is to get your paws on one and take it for a test drive...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 09-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #9

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

IMO no better or worse than many other hand guns. M&P, SIG, GLOCK, Ruger, Colt etc. all make good quality hand guns. What is important is how they feel to you, how you shoot them, and if they make a connection with YOU personally. I have never been able to make that connection with GLOCK, but I am not stupid enough to say they are a bad gun.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I own a glock 17 and I love it. It was my father in law's before it was mine and neither him nor I have ever had a problem with it. All you need to do is go on YouTube or research the glock stress test. Now, I'm pretty new to the gun world, so I don't know, maybe other manufacturers guns do the same thing. All I know is I can count on my glock if need be. And IMO they look cool too.

Closed Thread