How fast are you at pulling and shooting your conceal carry gun. - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > How fast are you at pulling and shooting your conceal carry gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4222 Times on 2354 Posts
Likes Given: 21223

Default My Wife Dos`nt Like Guns !

I DIDN`T GIVE THE PURP. TIME TO CLOSE.Were parked up in-between two large semi-trucks.Only tunnel vision to the front and rear.Truck to the left,truck to right.We saw him get in his vehical and drive off,but quickly lost sight of him because of the trucks.We new some thing was not cool .so we gathered up our pillows and blankets and were ready to leave.It was the end of Feb. and pretty cool.In the prossess of organizeing the cab area to leave ,I pulled my 17 out of it`s holster and layed it on the seat next to me.We never saw him coming.We saw lights in the front of the semi to the left of us but,didn`t see him .He walked around the front of the truck,gun in hand.He was already 10 to 15 ft. from my windsheild when he appeared.He had the jump on me big time! As far as my wife and guns,I`ve tried,that ain`t gonna happen.After what happened at the motel two months prior,I WAS AFFRAID TO SLEEP AT THE MOTEL.There is no safe place.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #42

By the way, I've trained my wife to grab her cell phone with her support hand the moment she suspects something is wrong. Our phones are voice programmed to dial 911 at the sound of the word, 'Emergency!'

G21.5 i hope you wasnt talking out loud when you said this because you just called 911

and your so right about what you have been saying. why take a chance be the first to react gives you a better chance of walking away.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Where Do You Find These Super Women ?

9:00A.M. Wife gets up,9:15,wife stands up,9:30,wife turns and takes first step.9:45,wife notices she is awake.10:00,wife makes coffee,10:15,cup-o-coffee,two cigs later,wife is aware I`m in the same room with her.DUDE!NO PHONE,BUT SHE HAS ONE,NO GUN,BUT THERE`S ONE LYING ON THE SEAT.-- My wife dose`nt sleep like normal people,more like a-(-COMA-).

Old 08-19-2008, 02:45 AM   #44

Listen, dango, you and everyone else on the planet needs to recognize that each of us IS ultimately responsible for his own self-defense - Even people who employ bodyguards. (You've still got to stay close, listen to them, and do as you're told - Right!)

Forgive me, but, your replies come across like you're suffering from, 'deer in the headlights syndrome'; and, your wife is (What?) probably a Democrat! Whether you realize it, or not, you are the one who is making yourself so vulnerable! You need to smarten up, tighten up, and start paying much more attention to your surroundings.

The very first thing a mugger needs in order to take you is ..... YOUR COOPERATION! Right now, you appear to be doing an excellent job of helping to get yourself mugged. You don't want to use a gun? Fine! You don't want to have to shoot someone? Again, fine! Then stop placing yourself in situations where you're going to be forced to fall back on this last line of personal defense.

Raise your prices. Stay at motels. Park your vehicle in well lit, open areas. Especially guard yourself while you are sitting in your vehicle, walking to and from the vehicle, and traversing hallways and stairwells inside the motel. (Where statistics show that most travel robberies occur.) Take a word of advice from an older man who, once, traveled the country as often - if not a lot more - than you are right now:

If you think like a victim, others will treat you like a victim. However, if you think like a predator, then, you'll be on either equal footing or one step ahead of those who are. Never forget that the first thing you must be in order to be successfully attacked is ..... vulnerable.

Knowing how - on an almost instinctive level - not to be vulnerable is almost an art form. In my opinion this is something you have, yet, to learn how to do. Read what you, yourself, have written in this thread. Each post is a litany of serious tactical errors; e.g.: 'In the process of organizing the cab area to leave, I pulled my 17 out of it's holster and laid it on the seat next to me.'

What! What! You were sleeping in a parking lot, man! You are talking to a person who used to canoe the northeastern United States. Do you have any idea how many nights I slept outside the tent with my back propped up against a rock, or a log, and a 12 gauge scattergun across my knees? A number of nights, let me tell you! (I traveled with a very beautiful young girl; and, sometimes, she attracted unwanted attention.)

Learn how to stop making yourself so available to disaster. You'll keep your trailer, keep your art, and (finally) you'll be very surprised at just how easy it really can be when, all of a sudden, YOU become the predator instead of the victim.

It's not so much a physical change, my friend; instead, it's more like a shift in the way you think. The definition of, 'paranoia' that I like is; 'An accurate perception of the real world combined with a cognitive understanding of how to effectively deal with it!'

Old 08-19-2008, 05:49 AM   #45

Default of the same mind

[COLOR="Red"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post

It's not so much a physical change, my friend; instead, it's more like a shift in the way you think. The definition of, 'paranoia' that I like is; 'An accurate perception of the real world combined with a cognitive understanding of how to effectively deal with it!'
[/COLOR]

I can see that me and G21.45 are of the same mind. You have to make little steps to chage the way you think and do things you have to always always try to be aware of your surrondings. I belive if you can do that you have one half the battle.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:57 AM   #46

Default of the same mind

[COLOR="Red"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post

[/COLOR]

I can see that me and G21.45 are of the same mind. You have to make little steps to chage the way you think and do things you have to always always try to be aware of your surrondings. I belive if you can do that you have one half the battle.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #47

Default wifes afraid of guns

dango about 4 years ago i was in a little disagreement with about 8 guys if front of my home. They came with bats and hammers and such to jump me and some of friends of mine because they didnt like that my wife and another friend of ours tried to help one of the guys girls out after stabbing her in the face with a screw driver so needless to say they came saw that i was alone cutting the grass. They all unloaded from there cars and proceeded to try to get close to me all i had on me was my .38 i saw that they had bats as soon as they got out of the car. as i was drawing my .38 my wife must had seen the same thing i did and had come out side with my 12 ga shotgun. as soon as they seen that we were armed better they high tailed it out of there. The point is my wife hated guns to but she had to do what she had to do and she would have shot them just like i would of to. She knew that i was armed but she also knew that i only had 5 shots. She did the right thing and prolly saved my life. NOW THATS A WOMEN TO WRIGHT HOME ABOUT.

If im going to draw my gun i have every intention of shooting you i dont use it to scare the bad guy or to try to itemidate them you just have to make that decision its me or them and darn it i want to live if not then dont pull your gun because some one might take it away and use it on you.

Last edited by dirtysouth; 08-19-2008 at 06:11 AM.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:24 AM   #48

Dango you and your wife are lucky to be alive .

You boxed yourself in between two Semi's which limited your vision and then worried about packing up pillows and blankets when you were the only one armed despite having a bad feeling about the encounter with the guy .

You should have started the truck right away and pulled into a open area where you could see if he was coming back and then had the wife packing up while you watched for the guy to return .

Also it is easier to see from the dark to a lighted area than vice versa if your only lighted area is small say under just one street type light DON'T go there !!

The rest areas I have pulled into usually had spotting lighting and being in it is of no help and since you can't count on others in there coming to your aide what you rather have happen them having a clear view of you and give the cops perhaps an inaccurate account of what happened or to not be able to see you at all ? Eyewitnesses are horribly unreliable in a life or death situation especially with bullets flying around .

I would have pulled into an open area had the wife do the packing and when he returned if he stopped and started to open the door I would have said in a loud clear voice "I have a gun , leave me alone , I have called the Police !!"

You don't want to pull out on the road first and in front of a guy like that because he could follow you and start shooting from behind you on the road or pull up beside you and ram you . Better to let him leave first and you can watch for him in front of you where you can stop before you get to close to him .

You'll see better looking through the windshield than trying to watch for him in the rear and side view mirrors .

Also if you do alot of this stopping at rest areas at night get a modern LED light that is very bright 80+ Lumen's and when you see someone approaching you hit them in the eyes with the light and issue a challenge with a "What do you want ?" nice and loud so you attract attention "which in itself will deter a criminal" if you can . Those lights can be kept on your side in a small belt pouch and have the wife keep one with her also .

Blinding someone with a bright light will usually intimidate them because most people associate it with a cop and will buy you a few seconds that can save your life if things get ugly .

Another thing if you and the wife stopped to use the rest rooms in the middle of the night stay outside of the ladies room while she uses it , don't just walk into the mens room for your business while she is in there .

Since most rest areas are in desolate areas if all I have to do is P I wait for her then we walk off into the darkness aways and I find a tree and do what I have to with her close enough to see her and I make sure she stays in shadows then we don't walk the same path to the car we kind of circle to it and come from a different direction from which we left the it .

Simple things like this will keep a criminal from patterning you and making you an easy target .

Old 08-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Thank you all for the great advice !

I have been working on major changes ever since the last encounter.I guess I`ve gotten a bit domesticated through the 20 years or so.At the time ,it seemed like a good idea ,but I had cut off my field of veiw substantially.it wont happen again.I will not be a victim.I will change this .These people do not have the right to alter my life and I will take control,resort back to the old instincs that kept me safe in my youth !I used to be a formitable oponent then ,I WILL BE AGAIN!!!!! PS:The new G-30 MAKES ME SMILE

Old 08-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default To my feind and mentor !-G-21.45

I have nothing but admiration and respect for you ,but I think you`re stereo-typing me.Artist,designer.etc.,9-inch arms ,passive,by nature,.DUDE !I have slipped into a some-what marshmellow zone ,but it`s a temperary thing.When in Rome ,do as the Romans !The people I inter-act with lately (-past 20 years or so-),are all rich,prominent spoiled,yuppy types,and I just lost site of the real world.I`m changing for the better minute by minute,day by day.I`m my own solution to this BS,AND IT ENDS NOW,IT ENDS HERE!!!I know you mean well ,but,I AINT NO F****** BAMBY !!!! To all of you,keep teaching,because my thirst for knowledge is insatiable!