How fast are you at pulling and shooting your conceal carry gun. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > How fast are you at pulling and shooting your conceal carry gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 01:26 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Sometimes the decision to engage doesn't belong to you. You do what you have to do over that distance initially chosen by someone else. It could be six feet; it could be 150 feet. Doesn't matter! What does matter is winning; and, a seasoned gunman will know and will do whatever he has to in order to survive the fight - Period.

Me? I have only one fast rule for gunfighting: I'm a devout Christian Fundamentalist; and, that one single rule is; 'Thou shalt not murder.' If I should ever have to reach for a gun this, and only this, is my sole criterion. Distance, compelled hiding, or compulsory running away mean next to nothing to me.

If an adversary closes the distance with me, I will engage him; if an adversary closes in on my hiding place, again, I will engage him; or, if I attempt to run away and am pursued then, once more, I will seek to engage. Why is this so difficult to understand?

In every gunfight there are three distinct things which you must struggle to overcome: (1) The other gunman, (2) time, and (3) distance. You must confront and defeat all three of these potentially destructive elements if you want to survive.
+1 - look for trouble and it will find you...avoid trouble and live to fight another day. It's easy to discuss crap on the internet, being in a position to take a shot at greater than combat distances is rare, and possibly deadly to anyone else in the area of your target. Heart rate and adrenalin are not factors on the range, and neither is collateral damage, except to an inanimate object, like a tree, and the tree won't be suing you.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-14-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3250 Times on 1834 Posts
Likes Given: 18655

Default On A Serious Note!

I have been trying all types of quick fire.Turn and fire at 30-45 feet.face to face quick draw,all out of a gun side hip holster.3 rnd. bursts.It`s all in fun,but I think in a bad situation,I might prevail.I practice quite a bit when I can.I make my own life-size targets and target areas on them.Survival of one`s self and one`s family is what it`s all about.I absolutely understand that shooting wooden targets and truly bad real life situations is as different as night and day,but I also beleive that conditioned response is also an important asset. face to face-3 shots-2 seconds-left arm,mid chest,head.-----not every time,but working on it !

Old 08-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Change Of Heart!

I`ve givin-up that left arm shot .that might be the split-second that gets me killed chest-chest-chest-3 rnd. bursts.2 seconds and still working on it.from 15 ft. to60.ft.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:04 AM   #34

First you run get that heart rate going then draw and shoot at your traget. See how well you shoot then most people arnt going to do so hot. For drawing fast I practice shooting accuratly while practicing with hands over my head from contact to about 10 feet hands behind my back from contact to about 10 feet. From a car from contact to about 15 feet. From a sitting postion on my front porch from contact to about about 15 feet.

I look at it this way if you go looking for a fight your going to get what your looking for. Keep an eye out for things and conditions around you that see out of place.You can almost spot trouble and get out of there before the CRAP hits the fan.

I personally belive if you get in a gun fight over 20 yards be prepared to get your butt handed to you in court. From my experince most gun fight happen up close and fast

I say practice accuracy,speed,accuracy with high heart rate and speed, ask people what does work and learn what is going to work. Your never to old to learn a new trick.

BE SAFE AND SHOOT WELL

Last edited by dirtysouth; 08-17-2008 at 05:13 AM.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Live And Let Live !

I do not look for trouble.I`m no cop nor a cowboy.I travel a bit in my business.Pick-up and 12 ft. trailor at hand.Jan. 15`th 06, a man with a gun approached me in my vehical while I was leaving the motel.He got my brand new trailor with a forty-thousand dollar job in it. Two months later, I had rebuilt the peices.A freind loaned me his trailor to get the job from N.W. Pa.to Naples Fla.At a rest area just across the south Carolina border 3:00 am. man approached me again.He tapped on my window a woke me up asking for help.He said his car was broke-down.I told him I really couldn`t help him much.He asked if I had any money.I told him I couldn`t help him and to leave.He walked to his car,and pulled away but pulled around close to my truck.He got out and pointed a shiny gun at me.I felt all the physical and mental BS .Hell,I tasted it.I turned the key and slowly pulled out with the muzzel pointed his way.He didn`t shoot ,I drve off.I am becoming very at home with my gun,and practice as much as I can.I will engage if forced to,and not loose sleep over it. I almost lost everything because of it.I`m still repairing the financial damage.I will not live in fear,I will engage deady with deadly force when nessasary !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Sometimes the decision to engage doesn't belong to you. You do what you have to do over that distance initially chosen by someone else. It could be six feet; it could be 150 feet. Doesn't matter! What does matter is winning; and, a seasoned gunman will know and will do whatever he has to in order to survive the fight - Period.

Me? I have only one fast rule for gunfighting: I'm a devout Christian Fundamentalist; and, that one single rule is; 'Thou shalt not murder.' If I should ever have to reach for a gun this, and only this, is my sole criterion. Distance, compelled hiding, or compulsory running away mean next to nothing to me.

If an adversary closes the distance with me, I will engage him; if an adversary closes in on my hiding place, again, I will engage him; or, if I attempt to run away and am pursued then, once more, I will seek to engage. Why is this so difficult to understand?

In every gunfight there are three distinct things which you must struggle to overcome: (1) The other gunman, (2) time, and (3) distance. You must confront and defeat all three of these potentially destructive elements if you want to survive.

+1 he pretty much said it all so keep praticing and hopefully that will give you enough edge.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouth View Post
+1 he pretty much said it all so keep praticing and hopefully that will give you enough edge.
Thank you; but, actually, I deliberately obfuscated my response. I wasn't as forthright as I could have been; and, now, I feel an obligation to say more.

First, dango, I wouldn’t carry any pistol I hadn’t put, at least, 500 rounds through. Second, your gun stories really scare me, man! No normal mentally healthy person wants to shoot someone else; at least, I know I don’t. Nevertheless, at some point in every violent (or potentially violent) confrontation the other guy is going to make that decision for you.

You must know what I mean: Like allowing events to drag out to the point where the other guy actually shows the naked muzzle of a gun! At this juncture, your own reaction time is ZERO. Covering each other with the muzzle? This sounds like a bad scene from a, 'spaghetti western'.

If you wait too long and allow the other guy time to bring his gun into play first, then, you have flat-out broken the second principal of gunfighting: Time is, now, working against you! In a gunfight you do NOT have reaction time. If you wait to react you must, then, attempt to get into the fight from, ‘behind the curve’. I would suggest that’s not really a place you want to find yourself in.

Now, a word about, ‘distance’: I am a great fan of Dave Spaulding. I consider the man to be a gunfighting genius. (And, it doesn’t matter to me if he’s ever been in a real life gunfight, or not – That’s a non-sequitur!) Spaulding talks about gunfights that you are likely to win, and other gunfights where your chances of coming out of things alive really aren’t so good.

So, what are the gunfights which you’re likely to lose? Well, simply stated, those are the ones where you let the other guy get too close! And, exactly what is, ‘too close’? Too close isn’t what you think it is. 'Too close' is any distance at which YOUR OPPONENT is comfortable to begin using his weapon, and confident that he’s going to take you out of the fight the moment he begins firing!

Naturally, the closer you are to any potential adversary the more danger you are in; but, this is, ‘physical closeness’; and, it’s NOT the same thing. Now, how do you use distance in order to win a gunfight? You do it by engaging a recognized threat BEFORE he’s quite ready to engage you. If you do what most gunmen do and practice like crazy at 7.5 yards, then, you’re going to be, 'dog food' for any gunman who does the same thing all day long at 10 to 12 yards. (Understand?)

Let me be perfectly blunt: I can point shoot well at 10 to 12 yards; and, with only one interlude caused by physical sickness, I have for decades. I ain’t a magician with a pistol; I simply practice a lot. If I have time to aim at 12 to 15 yards, the target’s going to need to be replaced. Again, I ain’t a magician; I practice a lot. Specifically, I practice a lot to be, ‘just ahead’ of the other guy!

I was doing this for years before I began reading Dave Spaulding’s thoughts on the subject; but, imagine my surprise when I suddenly discovered that someone else was thinking in exactly the same way!

(Great minds …. )

This is, ‘How’ you control both time and distance, correctly, in a gunfight. As for the other gunman? You just got ‘a want to win more than he does. It’s called, ‘combat focus’. In my experience a blooded Sicilian is naturally better at this than most other people; but, this doesn't mean that everyone else can't learn.

(If you don't believe me: Go ahead, ask any Sicilian whether or not I’m right. You'll see!)

Last edited by G21.45; 08-18-2008 at 06:46 AM.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default I Agree Totally G-21.45 !

There was one major problem with the second event.My wife was with me.The first tjme I was by my-self.I had no weapon.Iwas in fear of my life.The second event ,I should have shot the SOB.but was conserned for my wife of 25 years sitting next to me,stray bullet,etc. It may not have been the correct thing to do,but it was the only thing I could do.And I truly do`nt want to have to draw-down on any-one let alone shoot any-one.Even with gun in hand ,I felt helpless.Had shots rung out,I would have been forced to return fire,but my main concern was my wife.--I WAS LUCKY--BUT ANGRY-

Old 08-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Back Again !

This whole thing is very frustrateing.I was mentally prepared and quite comfortable with G-17.I`ve got about 2500 rnds. through it .I used to shoot quite a bit in my youth.1970-86.Even earned some sharp shooters bars,etc,etc.Didn`t take long at all .Good funamental skills.This was something I was totally unprepared for.In all my practice,my wife was never in the equation.Givin the facts,please walk me through the proper (THING TO DO -).I love my wife,my son,and my self.--LOOK FORWARD TO SME GREAT ADVICE,AS ALWAYS. GOT TO GO ,WE GOT US A HURRICANE A-COMIN !!!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #40

Well, we differ only in as much as I'm the one who trained my wife to use a pistol. (She already knew how to use rifles and shotguns, quite well, before I met her!) In an identical situation to the one you were in, my wife would have probably beaten me to the draw and solved the problem before the other guy had a chance to bring his gun up level with the passenger's window.

You've been watching too much television. What you fail to understand is that there is no such thing as, 'reaction time' in a CQB gunfight. Whoever get his muzzle level on the other guy, first, is going to be the most likely winner. If you want some really good advice .... Shut up like a clam; say absolutely nothing to anyone; and, talk only to your lawyer after the event.

You made another serious mistake during the first incident: You remained too civilized for too long as the BG approached; and, you allowed him to close the distance with you while remaining completely unchallenged. Specifically, you failed to perceive that any form of converging approach or proximity is - under isolated circumstances - a principal assault signal.

Can you say the words;

'Stop!' 'Don't come any closer!' 'I have a gun; and, I'm afraid of you!' 'I've got nothing for you - Nothing!' 'Go away!' 'Go away, now!'

Point your support hand straight at the other guy's chest, palm out, while you say this. (You might want to, also, brush your jacket with your strong hand; but, this is up to you.)

Oh, yeah, one other thing: Recognize that if you're going to be successfully attacked, it will probably happen while you are in transit and in or near your vehicle. So, whatever else you do, don't go to sleep in highway rest areas!

By the way, I've trained my wife to grab her cell phone with her support hand the moment she suspects something is wrong. Our phones are voice programmed to dial 911 at the sound of the word, 'Emergency!'

If it turns out to be a false alarm all you have to do is tell the operator that you thought you were in trouble; but, the person appears to have left the area. Do tell the operator where and who you are. Give a description of the potential problem individual, too.

Personal Protection Outside The Home