Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > How to Clean my Glock ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How to Clean my Glock ???

Hey,

I was just wondering what is the best stuff to use in order to clean my Glock inside and out. I've only shot it a total of 3 different times and each time i clean the gun after shooting. I've been using Outers "Nitro Solvent Gun Cleaner" for the inside metal parts. Spraying alittle bit on each metal part then wiping it off with cleaning pads and sometimes scrubbing it with a small toothbrush. After that wipe the inside down with a microfiber towel. Then put some Remington "Rem Oil" on the inside metal parts. Put the gun back together and wipe the outside down with a micofiber towel. This is normally what i do. Is this a good method of cleaning my gun? Are there better ways or things to use in order to clean it? What if anything can i use on the outside of the gun besides just wiping it down the a microfiber towel?

Thanks......

__________,
L///--------l - - - - - - - -
/=./L'J|
_./ Glock 30

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #2

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

For cleaning many of my firearms I use a coffee can full of clean Kerosene and a short bristled paint brush. For semi autos hold the gun upside down with the magazine well facing upward. Use the brush to flood the Kerosene all thru the inside of the slide and around the frame rails with the slide open. Kerosene is basicly a very light oil and will not hurt anything. When you are finished use compressed air to blow everything dry. If you don't have access to an air compressor, that "canned air" they use to blow off dust from computers and cameras works well. For lubrication all I have ever used is Mobil 1 Motor Oil, ATF, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and for very high pressure friction points like bolt lugs on bolt action rifles and hinge pins on O/U shotguns I use a small amount of STP. I have never had a a gun rust or fail because of a lubrication issue in over 35 years. Gun oils and greases are overpriced "snake oils" in fancy packaging, nothing more. Know what your getting when you spend $8.00 for a bottle of "Castrol / Hoppes Synthetic Gun Oil"? Castrol Syntec Motor Oil. You can buy it all day for around $2.50 @ quart, or pay $8.00 for 4 ounces of it in a fancy brushed Aluminum pump bottle. Same with a lot of these "Gun Greases". Go into any auto parts store and you can buy a large tube of Moly Grease that will last the average shooter a lifetime for a couple of bucks. It's as good, or better than these miracle gun greases they sell for over $10.00 for a 1/4 ounce! If you like the fancy hypo type applicator, you can get one at Walgreens, or most any other drug store for around .25 to .50 cents, and it's refillable too boot. Mobil 1 can be tailored to your climate just as you would if you used it in your car. If you shoot or hunt in very frigid climate it comes in a 0W-20 grade that won't stiffen up in cold weather. Here in Arizona we don't get much cold weather, but in the Summer it can get blistering hot so I use the 20W-50 grade. It has a nice viscosity that won't run off metal and dry up in a few days like some of these water thin gun oils like "Rem-Oil" will. ATF is a very clean non gumming lubricant that works well for lubricating semi autos and fast moving parts like slides and even trigger mechanisms. All 3 of these products can be purchased at any auto parts store for around $10.00, and will last the average shooter for years. I won't overpay for these gun lubes that do nothing better except make you poorer. Bill T.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My Glocks get wiped out with a paper towel and toothbrush, then overlubed (according to most) with FP-10 on EVERY metal to metal contact point. YYMV, but this approach has worked for me for the last 12yrs I've had Glocks, and keeps 'em chugging along quite nicely for hundreds of rounds between cleaning. Fouling removes easily when using FP-10. MPro-7 is good down the bore too, but so is FP-10.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments guys.....

__________,
L///--------l - - - - - - - -
/=./L'J|
_./ Glock 30

Old 07-09-2008, 06:07 AM   #5

i usually take cue tips or cotton patches soak them in solvent and rub down all parts i see that has the powder film or just looks dirty. around the firing pin, breech, slide rails, etc. then i will use my spiraled brush and spin as i go down the barrel soaked in solvent all the way through, unscrew it, run it donw again about 4 times(i need a bore snake i know)..run a wet oiled patch then swipe a dry patch once, lube all friction parts(slide, inside and outside of barrel, anyhing metal to metal. slap her back together and call it good. a nice wipe down with a dry rag all over afterwards is nice too...i do this every time i shoot after. because everytime i go shooting its usually at least a couple hundred rounds. this is my only gun as well as my conceal carry. just a peace of mind knowing my gun is clean when i carry feeling like i have the best chance of not having a malfunction when SHTF....if anyone else has any other tips please share...

oh and for my solvent i have been using max professional gun solvent and gunslick oil for lube...

Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #6

The nice thing about Glocks are that you don't have to get to anal cleaning them. They always function. Just do what your owners manual says and all will be good.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:58 AM   #7

i was told by the GLOCK DOC to use baby wipes to wipe down the whole gun and clips and no oil what so ever just some tetra gun grease on the slide . just my 2 cents..

GLOCK any questions?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #8

I've been using spray brake parts cleaner for years. Under $2 per can and it really works. On the Glock you may want to rub it down with oil after because the finish will turn grayish with the oil removed.