Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Holster...best/safest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry18 View Post
My agency tested the crap out of holsters, both for uniform and plain clothes carry. (snip) The Fobus never made the test list but the Serpa was taken out of contention early on after we were able to jam the mechanism with little effort.
Could the reason Fobus never made the test list is because of its low price compared to some others? They didn't feel it was a quality item. Government agencies frequently overlook viable options because they perceive low cost equates to marginal performance. With our present government situation it seems that high cost all but guarantees guarantees poor performance.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #12

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscho

Could the reason Fobus never made the test list is because of its low price compared to some others? They didn't feel it was a quality item. Government agencies frequently overlook viable options because they perceive low cost equates to marginal performance. With our present government situation it seems that high cost all but guarantees guarantees poor performance.
I bet it doesn't qualify as a duty holster because there is no manual retention button or holster strap.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Could the reason Fobus never made the test list is because of its low price compared to some others? They didn't feel it was a quality item.
When we were making the list of holsters to test we had officers bring in holsters they were interested in getting on the approved list. Then we did a short stress test with about a dozen holsters (leather, injection molded polymer, kydex, synthetic laminate and hybrid). We were able to break 2 Fobus holsters with ease while the similarly priced Uncle Mike's holster was found to be much more durable. So essentially the Fobus washed out in the interview phase. I have a couple Fobus holsters that I use for casual range time, but they are not high enough quality for serious work.

Quote:
I bet it doesn't qualify as a duty holster because there is no manual retention button or holster strap.
I am pretty sure one of the Fobus holsters we broke did have a retention strap. But generally speaking yes, holsters need to have some retention other than just a pinched trigger guard.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #14

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Thanks, good explanation.