Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > High cap 9mm glock mags on the cheap : dependable ones?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Eh, $20 extra really isn't that much for a one- or two-time purchase in this hobby. And I'm cheap as hell.
I'm not really "cheap" for the part of a gun, but the mags better be cheap for what I'm used to paying. I can get 2 AR or AK mags for less than one glock mag? I just don't get it. I guess I'll just get more standard mags. Maybe one or two of the hi caps.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 204 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Nope. Those are Winchester 115gr fmj

Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #13

Liked 948 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcohio View Post
I'm not really "cheap" for the part of a gun, but the mags better be cheap for what I'm used to paying. I can get 2 AR or AK mags for less than one glock mag? I just don't get it. I guess I'll just get more standard mags. Maybe one or two of the hi caps.
Well think about it... There are tons of reliable surplus AK mags out there for $10 and the same goes for ARs. Also there are multiple vendors who make high quality AR mags so you don't have to look hard to find good 30rd AR and AK mags for $10-15, even PMAGs.

However it's a reality that double stack pistol mags cost more than AR/AK mags, look at the Hi Power, S&W, XD, Ruger and many others. And often you can get reliable 3rd party mags for them like Mec-Gar.

But 3rd party Glock mags are hit or miss, mainly miss, so we pretty much have to go with Glock mags if we want something that approaches 100% reliability. So you look for good prices online, maybe $22-25 for what you need and of course more for the higher capacity ones like the 33rd. Just be patient and watch for sales.

Also, mags are part of the gun so you want reliable ones.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcohio View Post
As stated, it's a matter of supply and demand. ARs and AKs are the most prolific rifles in the world, and 30rd mags are the standard for them. Thus, there are millions of those 30rd mags out there for them. Conversely, Glock 33rd mags are not standard equipment for anyone really, so given the extremely low relative demand, supply is MUCH lower also, and thus price is higher.

I mean, I also find it annoying that most retailers stock the 10rd mags for my Marlin 795 for like $20, whereas you can get a stock Ruger 10/22 mag for like $12 pretty easily. But, I understand why it is the case.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #15

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

And lets be honest, the 33 rnd mag was made for the g18

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 12-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 204 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 63

And yet compatible for the g17 and 19.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #17

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk
And yet compatible for the g17 and 19.
Its a match made in heaven

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 12-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 227 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have a Kel-Tec Sub2000 with the G17 magwell, and the G18 mags are great for that. I have a couple of them that set me back $35 or so each, and that seems like a pretty reasonable price to me. They function excellently. This is the only rifle I own that I consider a practical "home defense" rifle. I also have 3 or 4 of the Korean aftermarket G18 mags (both KCI & Khan) that set me back about $10ea, and have the chewed up ejection port to prove it. They might run 100% one mag, and then have 4-6 FTE plug-ups the next. Very inconsistent. I don't know if they cycle any better in Glock pistols (don't own a Glock), as I've heard mixed reviews. I'd gladly trade my 3-4 Korean mags for one Glock mag. That said, when loaded for home defense my S2K is always loaded with a standard 17rd mag.

The 31rd mags are a nice novelty and can be fun at the range, but they're a little cumbersome for most practical uses. I would think that'd be the case even moreso in a pistol. Again, a nice novelty. But if you're preparing for a situation that somehow necessitates a 30+rd magazine, it really ought be a feeding an AR, AK, or some other long gun.

BTW- In the world of "The Walking Dead", a Sub2000 would absolutely rock. Light, extremely portable, low recoil, and quick, precise target acquisition on anything inside of 100yds. It's a $350 blast!

Old 12-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's amazing you said that... the walking dead is my girlfriend and I's favorite show on TV ever. We kinda laugh at the gunplay in the show, though, with how inexperienced people are pulling off impossible shots with snap shooting and lax aiming most of the time, but what TV show or movie doesn't?

Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #20

Liked 948 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
... I also have 3 or 4 of the Korean aftermarket G18 mags (both KCI & Khan) that set me back about $10ea, and have the chewed up ejection port to prove it. They might run 100% one mag, and then have 4-6 FTE plug-ups the next. Very inconsistent. I don't know if they cycle any better in Glock pistols (don't own a Glock), as I've heard mixed reviews. I'd gladly trade my 3-4 Korean mags for one Glock mag...
I had three KCI G22 mags, one a drop-free the others wouldn't drop. They were inconsistent in my Glock too. They also were about $10 apiece and no extra shipping as they were added to an online order. I finally sold them locally and broke even. Glad to be rid of them and I did tell the buyer about the problems (he just wanted more mags cheap). To me they're not worth the trouble and I'll gladly pay for real Glock mags.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.