Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Hardcast bullet and barrel question. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/hardcast-bullet-barrel-question-94684/)

theenaut 07-30-2013 02:41 PM

Hardcast bullet and barrel question.

Is it true that id need a different barrel to handle the hardcast projectiles and if so what would I need??

mountainman13 07-30-2013 03:07 PM

Yes. DO NOT use lead in a glock barrel. You need a standard rifled barrel replacement like those made by wolf.

bntyhntr6975 07-31-2013 06:26 PM

Need? No. Recommended? Yes. I run relatively hard cast out of a 17 and a 19, glock barrels, with no issues. I do however, normally clean them. I havent had any leading issues, but thats not to say others havent. Also, not saying that you should or shouldnt do it, just my experience over 1000s of cast bullets from them the last several years. I will NOT run cast in a .40 Glock tho.

mountainman13 08-01-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bntyhntr6975 (Post 1321540)
Need? No. Recommended? Yes. I run relatively hard cast out of a 17 and a 19, glock barrels, with no issues. I do however, normally clean them. I havent had any leading issues, but thats not to say others havent. Also, not saying that you should or shouldnt do it, just my experience over 1000s of cast bullets from them the last several years. I will NOT run cast in a .40 Glock tho.

So what, in your opinion , makes it OK to run lead in a 9mm but not a .40?

bntyhntr6975 08-01-2013 03:14 AM

I didnt say it was OK, just stating my opinion and experience.

.40 is a volatile cartridge to begin with. Glocks are notorious for their 'unsupported' chamber, so I wouldnt push the envelope any farther than necessary. The majority of Glock KBs have been with .40s, and normally from bullet set-back (Hydra-shoks are bad about that). The extra deep seating creates an immense pressure spike, often resulting in pieces parts going several different directions. If extra leading was to occur, pressure spikes would also occur. (Hence the warning to begin with.)
I am in no way endorsing the use of cast in a poly rifled barrel, so dont take it that way. And feel free to use the internet to search this topic, plenty of good info there.

rjd3282 08-01-2013 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bntyhntr6975 (Post 1321540)

You do realize that 9mm luger runs higher pressures than a 40.

bntyhntr6975 08-01-2013 04:40 AM

Actually, they both run 33-35k psi. Your point is?

Accurate Arms even published a warning about the volatility of the .40, advising against the use of their, or any others, powder for re-loading the .40S&W. Almost every reloading manual also mentions it.

Im not attempting to argue, based upon opinions alone. Please, search the web.

mountainman13 08-01-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bntyhntr6975 (Post 1322032)
I didnt say it was OK, just stating my opinion and experience.

.40 is a volatile cartridge to begin with. Glocks are notorious for their 'unsupported' chamber, so I wouldnt push the envelope any farther than necessary. The majority of Glock KBs have been with .40s, and normally from bullet set-back (Hydra-shoks are bad about that). The extra deep seating creates an immense pressure spike, often resulting in pieces parts going several different directions. If extra leading was to occur, pressure spikes would also occur. (Hence the warning to begin with.)
I am in no way endorsing the use of cast in a poly rifled barrel, so dont take it that way. And feel free to use the internet to search this topic, plenty of good info there.

OK.
Regardless, when a newcomer asks a simple question it is best to err on the side of caution and not muk things up with bad input based on personal experience. So I'll repeat my previous statement with a small addition.
DO NOT USE LEAD IN A FACTORY GLOCK BARREL and you shouldn't use reloads either.
Your argument isn't bad, but it doesn't make it right. It's safe to assume the original poster is a new shooter. It is best that they do what is safe.
No need to search the web on it.
They had an answer directly from a Glock Armorer.

theenaut 08-01-2013 11:11 AM

Thanks for your help

Kraj 08-01-2013 04:13 PM

Reloads in glocks are fine. As for lead I bought a aftermarket barrel. It should pay for itself and then I don't have to worry about it