Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Which gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERBER View Post
Hi all. I'm new here,and new to hand gun.But i am interested in getting a S/A gun.Looking into 9mm.I am going to a gun range this week end and i'm going to try out a few different guns to see what feels right.
But i'm still not sure what to look for.Is the Glock right for me?Maybe another brand? I did hold the Glock and felt ok.Is there any other brand i should consider to try?
I looked at the 17 and 19 i see the difference in size but is there anything else that i need to know between the two?
Thanks.
I am in the same boat looking for my first S/A handgun and to go along with some of the other comments about trying things out for yourself I'll have to agree.
A good friend of mine swears by his Ruger SR9 and said "It's the best in its price range and a great beginning gun". My local range has many guns for rent (and at a one time (for the day) $6 fee and the cost of ammo you can try out every one of them) so I went and shot the Ruger SR9 (along with many others) and about the only one I couldn't STAND was the Ruger SR9, but that's not to say you won't love it just like my friend.
Other guns I looked at and am still trying to decide on are the Springfield XD and XD(M), S&W M&P9, Beretta 92FS and PX4. I know this is the Glock section of the Forum but I didn't even shoot a Glock, for the same reasons as listed above, you REALLY need to find something with a safety outside of just the trigger for a first gun, I think. I really liked the feel of both the M&P and the XD(M) and both have changeable grip inserts, and I'm leaning towards the XD(M) because I like the high capacity and the grip safety (have to have forces in two different directions to fire).

Phillip

Old 02-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1711 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Locally we have an indoor shooting range that provides lessons. They also do CCW classes which include 3 hours of range time with a large range of handguns to try out. You have to qualify with one of them. Find out if you have a similar set up in your area. It is much easier to learn good habits when you dont have bad habits to unlearn. Most ranges that teach will have a good number of handguns to learn on. This will give you a good idea of what fits your hand and what is easier for your to shoot. Get some range time as your choice may change after you have some experience. While we have the capacity to adapt, a good fit is much better. I have small hands and a Glock 19 is actually a little too big in the grip. My Glock 36 with the thinner grip is a better fit. I am seriously looking at the Ruger SR9c like I bought my wife. Maybe she will let me shoot it sometime. The fit and grip on my Steyr M40 is fantastic. So get out there and look. Pick up a lot of pistols and try them on.
I have 3 rules that were instilled 50 years ago by an instructor.
1) Never point a weapon at anyone you dont intend to shoot.
2) I pick up a weapon and I clear it. It does not matter if I just saw you clear it, I clear it. If I set it down and pick it up again, I clear it. I have never had an unloaded weapon go off.
3) After clearing a new handgun I am looking at, I find a safe direction to point it. I focus on an object, close my eyes and bring the weapon up with my finger along side of the slide, not on the trigger. If the weapon is not pointed at the object, I dont bother with it. I have picked up quite a few handguns that point down which requires a shift in hold that is not natural.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I can see where newbies...and people with the intelligence level of Plaxico Burress shouldn't carry a Glock. Personally I carry a Bersa Firestorm in a .380. I feel more comfortable having an external safety on a gun if it's going to be that close to my manhood. However, the gun on my night stand is a Glock 17. If I have to use a weapon in the middle of the night I don't want to have to think which way the safety goes, is there one in the chamber...I just want to be able to point and shoot...17 times

The question I would also ask is, how much do you want to spend? There are definitely some good and bad ones in all price ranges.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well you are on the right track as far as renting is concerned, go rent a plethura of different guns from different manufacturers and different calibers, find what your most comfortable with and then save up and buy it, maybe buy used and then spend the difference in ammo and range time. Definitely get some lessons. I would recommend A&P arms in va beach or BoBs gun shop in Norfolk, both have good selections and range prices. It's where I went to rent before I bought my firsthandgun.

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 02-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #15

just my 2 cents, I bought a glock 22 for my first handgun. I had shot a few handguns and thought I was making a good choice, I enjoyed many good days at the range, however as I shot more I started to learn what I wanted in a handgun, sold the glock and bought a 1911. My point is find something that feels good and does not cost too much, shoot it for a while and figure out what you like/dislike and go from there.
eather way welcome to the world of firearms, and enjoy the forum there are alot of very knowledgable people here and I dont claim to be one of them.....yet..........

Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #16

I would like to thanks everyone of you.It is a learning experience for me.And i find it hard to get info from gun shops.Don't know why.Maybe they are too busy to deal with all of my questions.
As far as price range,i think i feel pretty good with $300.00-$600.00
depending on what i like.
Is 9mm ok? It seems like some people think it is not powerful enought?I mean,how much power do you really need?Again this is for protection and learning to shoot hand gun all over again.
I know that i am in the Glock forum,that is because i think that 's what i want to get.But i will know for sure (hopefully this weekend)if that's the gun i will get.
So,i am going to try Glock,Ruger,S&W,and some other.
What are some guns in the 9mm range would you suggest to try?
Again thank you all for your replies this really helps with my decision.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #17

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Nothing at all wrong with 9mm if you do your part. Tons of choices in your price range - you'll just have to see what fits you. I do suggest you avoid Taurus though as their QC is very spotty - you could get a good one, or not...

Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I do suggest you avoid Taurus though as their QC is very spotty - you could get a good one, or not...
I did looked at one.Seems to be on the lower cost.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #19

Make sure you give the springfield XD or XD(M) a look, it's the direction I'm leaning towards right now after shooting a handful of 9mm last weekend.

Phillip

Newest Threads