Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Which gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which gun?

Hi all. I'm new here,and new to hand gun.But i am interested in getting a S/A gun.Looking into 9mm.I am going to a gun range this week end and i'm going to try out a few different guns to see what feels right.
But i'm still not sure what to look for.Is the Glock right for me?Maybe another brand? I did hold the Glock and felt ok.Is there any other brand i should consider to try?
I looked at the 17 and 19 i see the difference in size but is there anything else that i need to know between the two?
Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

We need to know a little about you, what you are going to use a gun for, and your experience before anyone could begin to help you. Perhaps drop by the Introductions area and do us the honors...

Old 02-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #3

OK.I am looking for something for:
1;protection
2;maybe picking up a new hobby?
When i was youger,a lot younger,i use to shoot pelet gun.(competition)
I grew up in France and over there it is a pretty big thing.But here,not so much.Lately i have been wanting to get back into it,but no luck over here.
So maybe i just need to get with a real gun,and see if this is something i want to do.But not for competition.
If not,i still want it for protection.

Last edited by JERBER; 02-07-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #4

My advice is to find a range that rents guns and try some out. No single platform works for everyone and the only way to find YOUR gun is by trial & error. Sadly, if you ask 50 different shooters what the "best" gun is - you'll get 50 different answers. Luckily you're in a fairly gun friendly area of the country so I'll bet there are ranges close by to try out different guns and perhaps even some basic instruction...

Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #5

Thanks,That's what i'm planning on doing this week end.
I was just trying to get some info on what are the most popular guns/models that newbies use.And maybe some tips/info on what to look for.Weight,size,power...and so on.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #6

As a newbie to guns I would recommend a 9mm in a semi-auto and .357 in a revolver (you can shoot less expensive .38 Special). Putting lots of rounds down range is critical in developing your handgun skills and these are the cheapest centerfire calibers to shoot. My favorite 9mm is an older Sig P228. I picked it up as a CPO (certified pre-owned) for just a shade over $500 and it is an amazing shooter and a good safe gun to learn the basics on.

Yes, I know you posted in the Glock section, but to me the jury is still out whether a Glock is a good gun for someone brand new to handguns...

Last edited by NGIB; 02-08-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #7

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Yes, I know you posted in the Glock section, but to me the jury is still out whether a Glock is a good gun for someone brand new to handguns...
I've gotta agree with that.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't shot to many Glocks (none I have shot felt right to me) so I'm a bit biased.

Personally I think someone's first hand gun they own/use especially if they have limited exposure to firearms needs to have an external safety or be DA/SA, or both.

Following me are 49 other posters with their opinion on the best handgun ever.

Since it's FTF though most of them will say a 1911.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
Since it's FTF though most of them will say a 1911.
Coming from me it may be difficult to believe - but a 1911 does not make a good beginners handgun either IMHO...

Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try out many guns as you can. A Glock is a great gun just not for newbes. A trigger is not a safety. My sister was a nurse for the FBI and DEA and had to treat many AD from a Glock. She would say another agent shot himself in the foot. Ask Plaxico Burress.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 02-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Coming from me it may be difficult to believe - but a 1911 does not make a good beginners handgun either IMHO...
Amen to that. I carried a Kimber Gold Match and the Cocked, Locked, and Ready to Rock took some getting use to. I am now carrying a Beretta 92FS. DA/SA. It does hide well with the right holster. I am looking for a 40 to replace it for a carry gun.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent