Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > guide rods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default guide rods

Has anyone ever used Lightning Strike Guide rod in their 17? If so, what is your opinion?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

No, but I do use all aftermarket rods/springs in my Glocks. Welcome to the forum!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #3

Thanks. I thinking of getting a SS guide rod and spring. It is my carry gun and I use 124 sxt +P+. I also us ball ammo on the range. What is you opinion on rod and spring?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, the first thing I would throw out there is I don't know of ANY production gun that is rated to handle +P+; that is above SAAMI pressures and would seem to be a liability nightmare for any company.

Very few gun makers will state in their writing that they will handle +P. I know H & K does on their USP line, bone stock. I know that Kimber does, because I have owned several, but recommends an upgrade to the recoil spring. I know that Nighthawk does, but also recommends an upgrade to the recoil spring.

Glock, I'll be the first to admit, I know next to nothing about, but I just read almost the entire Glock 17 Owner's Manual and there is nothing in there stating they are rated for +P ammo.

Whether the weapon has been shooting it fine or not, you might want to find out from the Glock folks if the weapon was designed to safely fire the hotter cartridges....

I called them, because I was curious myself, but their offices are closed and there is no after hours help.

JD

Old 11-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, the first thing I would throw out there is I don't know of ANY production gun that is rated to handle +P+; that is above SAAMI pressures and would seem to be a liability nightmare for any company.

Very few gun makers will state in their writing that they will handle +P. I know H & K does on their USP line, bone stock. I know that Kimber does, because I have owned several, but recommends an upgrade to the recoil spring. I know that Nighthawk does, but also recommends an upgrade to the recoil spring.

Glock, I'll be the first to admit, I know next to nothing about, but I just read almost the entire Glock 17 Owner's Manual and there is nothing in there stating they are rated for +P ammo.

Whether the weapon has been shooting it fine or not, you might want to find out from the Glock folks if the weapon was designed to safely fire the hotter cartridges....

I called them, because I was curious myself, but their offices are closed and there is no after hours help.

JD
The owner's manual for my German H&K USP clearly stated that using +P or +P+ was dangerous and voided any warranties.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
The owner's manual for my German H&K USP clearly stated that using +P or +P+ was dangerous and voided any warranties.
Really? What year? Mine says that it's rated for +P. I still have the damn thing, though I never shoot it. I will double check it tonight, but I made sure before I even bought it because I wanted another weapon that was +P rated and I was in fanboy LOVE with the USP Tactical....

Old 11-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Really? What year? Mine says that it's rated for +P. I still have the damn thing, though I never shoot it. I will double check it tonight, but I made sure before I even bought it because I wanted another weapon that was +P rated and I was in fanboy LOVE with the USP Tactical....
It may have been. I ditched it almost 10 years ago, so my memory may be a little fuzzy. It was used when I bought it and I had it for several years before tossing it in favor of the Kimber.

I just remember that inside the cover of the manual, there was a big red warning that said not to fire anything outside of SAAMI specs.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 11-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325er View Post
Has anyone ever used Lightning Strike Guide rod in their 17? If so, what is your opinion?
I haven't used the lightning strike guide rods but I do have this one in my G19 and I love it.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=4851

Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
It may have been. I ditched it almost 10 years ago, so my memory may be a little fuzzy. It was used when I bought it and I had it for several years before tossing it in favor of the Kimber.

I just remember that inside the cover of the manual, there was a big red warning that said not to fire anything outside of SAAMI specs.
Well, here's the official Page 21 Note from my USP Tactical that I bought new in 2003

In Compliance with NIJ - Standard - 0112.00 *blah, blah,blah* ALL USP Pistols are approved for use with +P and +P+ ammuntion. The use of +P and +P+ ammunition does accelerate wear and reduce the service life on the compartment parts of any pistol including all models of the HK USP.

Under the specifics for the USP Tactical, it says that +P can be used with both the KAC and Brugger & Thomet cans without damage, but does note that both cans work best with Subsonic Ammunition. *D'uh*

So I guess we both be corrected on this one brother....

JD

Old 11-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Well, here's the official Page 21 Note from my USP Tactical that I bought new in 2003

In Compliance with NIJ - Standard - 0112.00 *blah, blah,blah* ALL USP Pistols are approved for use with +P and +P+ ammuntion. The use of +P and +P+ ammunition does accelerate wear and reduce the service life on the compartment parts of any pistol including all models of the HK USP.

Under the specifics for the USP Tactical, it says that +P can be used with both the KAC and Brugger & Thomet cans without damage, but does note that both cans work best with Subsonic Ammunition. *D'uh*

So I guess we both be corrected on this one brother....

JD
Like I said, it's been years since I last saw that manual. Maybe the barrels were built to different specs, maybe I'm going senile. I'm more inclined to believe the latter more than the former.

Roger Waters