Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   guide rods (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/guide-rods-8670/)

325er 11-24-2008 08:29 PM

guide rods
 
Has anyone ever used Lightning Strike Guide rod in their 17? If so, what is your opinion?

Ram Rod 11-24-2008 08:34 PM

No, but I do use all aftermarket rods/springs in my Glocks. Welcome to the forum!

325er 11-24-2008 08:41 PM

Thanks. I thinking of getting a SS guide rod and spring. It is my carry gun and I use 124 sxt +P+. I also us ball ammo on the range. What is you opinion on rod and spring?

Dillinger 11-24-2008 08:59 PM

Well, the first thing I would throw out there is I don't know of ANY production gun that is rated to handle +P+; that is above SAAMI pressures and would seem to be a liability nightmare for any company.

Very few gun makers will state in their writing that they will handle +P. I know H & K does on their USP line, bone stock. I know that Kimber does, because I have owned several, but recommends an upgrade to the recoil spring. I know that Nighthawk does, but also recommends an upgrade to the recoil spring.

Glock, I'll be the first to admit, I know next to nothing about, but I just read almost the entire Glock 17 Owner's Manual and there is nothing in there stating they are rated for +P ammo.

Whether the weapon has been shooting it fine or not, you might want to find out from the Glock folks if the weapon was designed to safely fire the hotter cartridges....

I called them, because I was curious myself, but their offices are closed and there is no after hours help.

JD

matt g 11-24-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 52228)
Well, the first thing I would throw out there is I don't know of ANY production gun that is rated to handle +P+; that is above SAAMI pressures and would seem to be a liability nightmare for any company.

Very few gun makers will state in their writing that they will handle +P. I know H & K does on their USP line, bone stock. I know that Kimber does, because I have owned several, but recommends an upgrade to the recoil spring. I know that Nighthawk does, but also recommends an upgrade to the recoil spring.

Glock, I'll be the first to admit, I know next to nothing about, but I just read almost the entire Glock 17 Owner's Manual and there is nothing in there stating they are rated for +P ammo.

Whether the weapon has been shooting it fine or not, you might want to find out from the Glock folks if the weapon was designed to safely fire the hotter cartridges....

I called them, because I was curious myself, but their offices are closed and there is no after hours help.

JD

The owner's manual for my German H&K USP clearly stated that using +P or +P+ was dangerous and voided any warranties.

Dillinger 11-24-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 52230)
The owner's manual for my German H&K USP clearly stated that using +P or +P+ was dangerous and voided any warranties.

Really? What year? Mine says that it's rated for +P. I still have the damn thing, though I never shoot it. I will double check it tonight, but I made sure before I even bought it because I wanted another weapon that was +P rated and I was in fanboy LOVE with the USP Tactical....

matt g 11-24-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 52231)
Really? What year? Mine says that it's rated for +P. I still have the damn thing, though I never shoot it. I will double check it tonight, but I made sure before I even bought it because I wanted another weapon that was +P rated and I was in fanboy LOVE with the USP Tactical....

It may have been. I ditched it almost 10 years ago, so my memory may be a little fuzzy. It was used when I bought it and I had it for several years before tossing it in favor of the Kimber.

I just remember that inside the cover of the manual, there was a big red warning that said not to fire anything outside of SAAMI specs.

iloveguns 11-24-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 325er (Post 52223)
Has anyone ever used Lightning Strike Guide rod in their 17? If so, what is your opinion?

I haven't used the lightning strike guide rods but I do have this one in my G19 and I love it.:D


http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=4851

Dillinger 11-25-2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 52234)
It may have been. I ditched it almost 10 years ago, so my memory may be a little fuzzy. It was used when I bought it and I had it for several years before tossing it in favor of the Kimber.

I just remember that inside the cover of the manual, there was a big red warning that said not to fire anything outside of SAAMI specs.

Well, here's the official Page 21 Note from my USP Tactical that I bought new in 2003

In Compliance with NIJ - Standard - 0112.00 *blah, blah,blah* ALL USP Pistols are approved for use with +P and +P+ ammuntion. The use of +P and +P+ ammunition does accelerate wear and reduce the service life on the compartment parts of any pistol including all models of the HK USP.

Under the specifics for the USP Tactical, it says that +P can be used with both the KAC and Brugger & Thomet cans without damage, but does note that both cans work best with Subsonic Ammunition. *D'uh*

So I guess we both be corrected on this one brother....

JD

matt g 11-25-2008 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 52266)
Well, here's the official Page 21 Note from my USP Tactical that I bought new in 2003

In Compliance with NIJ - Standard - 0112.00 *blah, blah,blah* ALL USP Pistols are approved for use with +P and +P+ ammuntion. The use of +P and +P+ ammunition does accelerate wear and reduce the service life on the compartment parts of any pistol including all models of the HK USP.

Under the specifics for the USP Tactical, it says that +P can be used with both the KAC and Brugger & Thomet cans without damage, but does note that both cans work best with Subsonic Ammunition. *D'uh*

So I guess we both be corrected on this one brother....

JD

Like I said, it's been years since I last saw that manual. Maybe the barrels were built to different specs, maybe I'm going senile. I'm more inclined to believe the latter more than the former.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:42 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.