Gold Dot .123gr +P for a Glock 19 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Gold Dot .123gr +P for a Glock 19

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sgt,good post by Crane, due to the rifling on Glocks barrels it's not good to use any lead bullets( Gold dot's are not,in any pressure),I live in South America where factory ammo isn't cheap so for my practice Glock I got an aftermarket barrel with conventional rifling to shoot lead if i ant,and my carry ammo is obviously factory with the standard Glock barrel.
People talk good about 124 +P Gold Dots,I wish they where easier to get down here...My humble piece of advice,try them at the range to see how the recoil/flash departments suits you...

Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #12

Cane, do you have any experience with HSM ammo? Here is a link.

Retail Ammunition | The Hunting Shack

I shoot their 10mm ammo out of my glock. It is remanufactured ammo. I have shot about 1100 rounds through my Glock20. Is this safe? Thanks

Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #13

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveguns View Post
Cane, do you have any experience with HSM ammo? I shoot their 10mm ammo out of my glock. It is remanufactured ammo. I have shot about 1100 rounds through my Glock20. Is this safe? Thanks
I'm not familiar with the brand.
At 1K + rounds I would guess one of three things, you have an aftermarket barrel, you keep a clean weapon or, you probably won't have a problem.
With that said, I would strip the G20, brakeclean the barrel and scrub with a nylon stiff brush. Get an eye loupe (magnifying glass) and inspect the barrel at the throat with extreme prejudice. If it looks good get some die makers ink (or a blue magic marker) and cover the entire area, them wipe with a cotton cloth. If the blue doesn’t wipe off dampen (small steps, little water) the cloth and try again. If the blue remains try a wet nap (alcohol wipe) and see if any cracks show up. (Poor man’s magna flux) No spider cracks, just keep doing what you have been as far as maintenance. Continue the inspection with every strip down.
Call HSM and tell them you’re a loyal customer and this is the info you have just discovered. Let them tell you their take on the glock issue. Base your future purchases on their response.
Remember the photos in my post are for my G22 chambered in 40 S & W. When you have your G20 stripped, drop a round into the chamber and check the unsupported case area. I have no experience with 10 mike mike. You may find this a non-issue. Although you should check your chambers (and clean with a chamber brush, which is bigger than a bore brush, See .45 ACP Chamber Cleaning Tool) on all guns for the spider cracking. It’s just common sense. COMMON SENSE WENT INTO EFFECT AT 0600 hrs THIS AM!

Be safe out there and please use you’re most powerful weapon first, your brain!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I posted earlier:

Quote:
Are +P loads within SAAMI specs?

I'm just asking because I normally don't mess with +P loadings, that's all.
Since no one answered my question, I did some research on my own and found that +P loadings are within SAAMI specs. Since the Glock 19 is designed to withstand SAAMI pressures, I would go ahead and run the +P loadings without any worry. Stay away from lead loadings and +P+ loadings. You will risk blowing up your Glock 19.

P.S. Thanks for making me work to get my answer, canebrake. Geez, you're about as useless as buying condoms for eunuchs.

Thanks for all the info you posted about the Glock safety issues. That is great info for everyone to pay attention to.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
P.S. Thanks for making me work to get my answer, canebrake. Geez, you're about as useless as buying condoms for eunuchs.
I prefer tits on a boar hog, but thanks.

OBTW fly-boy, I think I did help your ars in post # 8.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 AM   #16

Another newbie question. How do I tell if it is a lead bullet or not? If it is FMJ with a copper jacket, I'm good, right? So many companies make 9mm rounds, it's a lot harder to find a good brand than when I'm looking for Fiveseven ammo which is only made by 2 companies and meant specifically for my weapon (and the P90). What are some good reasonably priced brands of 9mm rounds that are OK to put through my Glock at the range? I'm already pretty much set on the Gold Dot .124 gr +P, but I'm still looking for some good range/practice ammo to use.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:07 AM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

anywayz.............

I asked if the loads were within SAAMI specs (DURRRR). SAAMI specs don't change depending on the manufacturer, silly..............

Heck, most companies will probably say "No" just to be "lawyer safe".

You did redeem yourself with the great info about the Glock pistols, though.

IS VERRRY NIZEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Crispy 129, if the bullets look like this:

DON'T USE THEM!!!!

If they look like this:

or this:

Then you are good to go

Old 02-10-2009, 01:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
anywayz.............I asked if the loads were within SAAMI specs (DURRRR). SAAMI specs don't change depending on the manufacturer, silly..............Heck, most companies will probably say "No" just to be "lawyer safe". You did redeem yourself with the great info about the Glock pistols, though.
Funny, Colt said shoot the damn +P and the +P+ if you want!

We have a covert component called quality.

Something the other manufacturers seem to skimp on.

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-10-2009 at 01:37 AM.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

A guy I know told me that a friend of his heard from a guy who read on the internet (Are you with me so far?) that the issue with +P isn't so much with overpressure, but heat. Or for Canebrake, erosion over explosion.