Gock 17 & Glock 22 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Gock 17 & Glock 22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

I've been a hundred yards uprange of a .50 BMG with no earpro when it went off. That was a very unpleasant experience. It vibrated my face a little.

I've also been right next to a .357 with no earpro when somebody fired it when they weren't supposed to. It wasn't exactly pleasant. But it wouldn't be a problem for home defense.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 11-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 907

Quote:
Originally Posted by therukh View Post
A friend of mine didn't fare as well and perforated his eardrum...and a .357 sig does not guarantee an instant stop.
granted I wasn't there, and that a 357 blast is painful, it most likely did not cause the perf. The air wave shock would not be strong enough to rupture a normal ear drum. Don't confuse that with the sonic blast. It gets your inner ear, not the eardrum. Your inner ear feels no pain, except for maybe a headache later.

The damage to your inner ear is what causes the permanent assured cumulative hearing loss. It is insidious and painless unlike the ear drum damage. Your friend most likely had a hole in the eardrum before. Speaking of those, they are much easier caused by diving or sudden change in altitude.

Last edited by Mercator; 11-09-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 179 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 495

Default Suppressor Cost - It Can be Managed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige91603 View Post
Aren't that much more?! Not everyone has an Hk or SIG with a threaded barrel, when you add it all up you're talking around a thousand of dollars at least which not everyone has nor do they want to spend the money and wait 6 months
I can understand that, being as poor as a church mouse most of my life, but it can be done. What's wrong with waiting for six months (more like 12 now)? Are you not going to have the gun that long? Once you have it, you can have it for the rest of your life if you want. I saved the money for the threaded barrel for my Glock 34 and bought it before the suppressor and started using it right away. I then saved the money for the tax stamp because the BATF cashes the check within a couple of weeks of sending in the application. Then I bought the suppressor with a credit card that I got just for that purpose and nothing else. Then I sat back and waited for the suppressor and paid a little each month and by the time the suppressor came in to my Class III dealer, I had the card paid off. No pain - all gain. I teach with suppressors now all the time...obviously not for CC but pistols & rifles for home defense...absolutely!

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 11-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A suppressor is not necessary for home defense. Neither is earpro, eye pro, Kevlar, hand grenades, a breaching kit or an RPG.

Does a suppressor help? Yeah it might help a little. It's a long shot due to auditory exclusion. But it might help a little. Hey if you wanted one that bad good for you. I hope you enjoy it.

For the rest of us the .357 works just about as well as any other round in a home defense. You're talking about a once in a lifetime event where it's unlikely that more than 1 shot will be fired. It would be different if you were shooting it in enclosed areas every day. But in that instance I'd be looking for some hearing protection that excludes noise over 90 Decibels but amplifies ambient noise before I looked for a suppressor.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-11-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #45

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

To this guys question. I also carry a 22 daily at first I HATED it. I'm not a fan of glock trigger or ergos. Never really enjoyed shooting 40 either. Now that I have experience with the 22 it's grown on me a lot. It has gone bang energy time. And now i can manage it nearly as well as anything else.
With that said I would buy a 17 because ammo is cheaper allowing more practice(rounds on target far more important than caliber). It's more pleasant to shoot.
Also in my opinion the most important accessory in home defense or in general is a weapon light. Night sights are pointless if you can't identify your target and ear protection is an after thought in a life or death situation. Silencers are "cool" but in civilian applications far from a necessity.

Just my 2 cents

Old 11-13-2013, 03:25 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 179 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 495

No one said a suppressor is necessary nor did I say that anyone should not use a .357 for home defense, it was just a caution. As to the original question, Ara, I still prefer the G17 based on what you originally asked.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 11-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #47

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ummmm I got through the 3rd page I realized this thread went totally off topic. I have a Glock 22 and if I have to shoot an intruder I want all his buddies in the rest of my house to know I'm packing a cannon.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by noveskenuck
Ummmm I got through the 3rd page I realized this thread went totally off topic. I have a Glock 22 and if I have to shoot an intruder I want all his buddies in the rest of my house to know I'm packing a cannon.
THATS what I'm talking about!!!

image-53422820.jpg

Old 11-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #49

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

You can convert a 40S&W 22 to a 9mm 17, but you cannot go the other way. So, with a $110 Lone Wolf conversion barrel or a $160 Storm Lake conversion barrel, you can have a very dependable 9mm pistol that can still go bang if you ever run out of 9mm. Great option for a prepper-type who wants options.

Oh, and I don't understand why a competition shooter would definitely want to choose 9mm. Anybody who says that does not understand USPSA's rules on Major power factor. 40S&W rules the USPSA competition field!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face