Glocks made in USA - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glocks made in USA

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,593
Liked 1950 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
funny Smyrna is also where fletc is located
That's Glynco. Smyrna is outside Atlanta.
__________________
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northeast San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,654
Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator
That's Glynco. Smyrna is outside Atlanta.
dur got my weird Georgia town names mixed up
__________________

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

seancslaughter is offline  
MoHawk Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northeast San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,654
Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

In my defense I just donated a liter if plasma so I'm woozy and confused I shoulda known that I took a course there

__________________

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

seancslaughter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
McCakie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 112
Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
The coating has changed. Tennifer had extremely bad by products. I forget the composition of the coating they use now but it is pretty close to a diamond on the Rockwell scale. Fun fact: you can sharpen a knife on a Glock slide.
That's a pretty interesting fact to know if you ever need it
__________________
McCakie is offline  
MoHawk Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Crazvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 303
Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
The company is very secretive about its inner workings. They don't tell and don't explain. Take any Glock Annual Magazine, it is a waiting room reading, no info on any plans or developments, in fact nothing useful unless you're a Glock virgin. After reading the recent book "Glock" I believe this is a core value of its founder. Compare to SIG - open and talkative, almost exuberant. Just a different style. Anyway Glock Inc is the Great Book of Why (Unanswered)
I enjoyed Glock Inc as well.
__________________
Crazvet is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jord1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 130
Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
The coating has changed. Tennifer had extremely bad by products. I forget the composition of the coating they use now but it is pretty close to a diamond on the Rockwell scale. Fun fact: you can sharpen a knife on a Glock slide.
I also heard if you turn the slide upside down and play it like a flute it works as a unicorn mating call !
__________________
jord1985 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,348
Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Default

Yes, there is a Glock factory in Smyrna, GA. I stopped by and had my G17 fully serviced by them, while I was TAD in nearby Marrieta. FLETC is in Savannah, north of the Naval Submarine Base, in Kings Bay where I was stationed for 8 years.

I didn't find it too secretive as far as their locaction of manufacture. More than one of my Glock frames says Smyrna, GA on it. Proof marks can tell you a bit as well.

The US factory was partly a business move toward military and LE contracts. When competing for replacing the 1911 part of any manufacturers contract was that a certain percentage of manufacturing would have to be done domestically by anyone awarded the contract. Beretta didn't have the MD plant until after they were in competition. FBI contract was similar. Now many manufacturers have plants stateside, such as Glock, Sig, Beretta, etc.

I'm sure there are other import/export advantages as well.

__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
redscho Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KG7IL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Posts: 2,472
Liked 1760 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 5329

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Fun fact: you can sharpen a knife on a Glock slide.
Since I bought my 1911, I was wondering what to do with the glock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jord1985 View Post
I also heard if you turn the slide upside down and play it like a flute it works as a unicorn mating call !
Ok, only after I sharpen my knife.
__________________
JOIN THE NRA

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
KG7IL is offline  
MoHawk Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Byron0022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 617
Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Yes, there is a Glock factory in Smyrna, GA. I stopped by and had my G17 fully serviced by them, while I was TAD in nearby Marrieta. FLETC is in Savannah, north of the Naval Submarine Base, in Kings Bay where I was stationed for 8 years. I didn't find it too secretive as far as their locaction of manufacture. More than one of my Glock frames says Smyrna, GA on it. Proof marks can tell you a bit as well. The US factory was partly a business move toward military and LE contracts. When competing for replacing the 1911 part of any manufacturers contract was that a certain percentage of manufacturing would have to be done domestically by anyone awarded the contract. Beretta didn't have the MD plant until after they were in competition. FBI contract was similar. Now many manufacturers have plants stateside, such as Glock, Sig, Beretta, etc. I'm sure there are other import/export advantages as well.
FLETC is in Brunswick Ga. Glynn Co. Savannah is Chatham Co.
__________________
Byron0022 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,593
Liked 1950 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Yes, there is a Glock factory in Smyrna, GA. I stopped by and had my G17 fully serviced by them, while I was TAD in nearby Marrieta. FLETC is in Savannah, north of the Naval Submarine Base, in Kings Bay where I was stationed for 8 years.

I didn't find it too secretive as far as their locaction of manufacture. More than one of my Glock frames says Smyrna, GA on it. Proof marks can tell you a bit as well.

The US factory was partly a business move toward military and LE contracts. When competing for replacing the 1911 part of any manufacturers contract was that a certain percentage of manufacturing would have to be done domestically by anyone awarded the contract. Beretta didn't have the MD plant until after they were in competition. FBI contract was similar. Now many manufacturers have plants stateside, such as Glock, Sig, Beretta, etc.

I'm sure there are other import/export advantages as well.
Smyrna on the frame does not mean where it is manufactured, it is a corporate HQ address.
To those who think Glock is open and transparent my word is: Okay.
__________________
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Glocks are made in Australia.. WTF! okdonk Glock Forum 14 07-31-2012 01:39 AM
OD Glocks for $$$ Dizzll Glock Forum 6 01-01-2012 06:07 AM
American Made 9x19mm Ammo Different From Foreign Made? Trez Ammunition & Reloading 0 11-07-2011 04:28 PM
Is there any difference between the Italian made Beretta 92FS Inox and the USA Made 1 CAMCHAMPION1988 Semi-Auto Handguns 4 10-21-2011 09:27 PM
U.S. made 55 - gr. FMJ .223 Ammo (made by a Department of Defense contractor) ARnoob Ammunition & Reloading 3 07-02-2009 09:22 PM