Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glocks made in USA (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glocks-made-usa-101443/)

redscho 12-11-2013 06:18 PM

Glocks made in USA

My friend and I were comparing our Glock 19 Gen 3s. He just got his and it is made in USA, I bought mine a year ago and it is made in Austria. When did glock start production in the USA and with which models?

WillWork4Ammo 12-11-2013 06:43 PM

From my understanding,Glock makes them in the USA for export sales to other countries for military and law enforcement contracts.
Yeah,makes no sense.Might be because there are some countries Austria cannot sell Glocks to but the U.S. can.

redscho 12-12-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo (Post 1455615)
From my understanding,Glock makes them in the USA for Yeah,makes no sense.Might be because there are some countries Austria cannot sell Glocks to but the U.S. can.

Interesting. So any leftovers from export sales to other countries for military and law enforcement contracts are sold domestically. I wonder if there is any difference in quality, performance etc.

mountainman13 12-12-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo (Post 1455615)
From my understanding,Glock makes them in the USA for export sales to other countries for military and law enforcement contracts.
Yeah,makes no sense.Might be because there are some countries Austria cannot sell Glocks to but the U.S. can.

If I remember correctly this is dead on.

FrontierTCB 12-12-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redscho

Interesting. So any leftovers from export sales to other countries for military and law enforcement contracts are sold domestically. I wonder if there is any difference in quality, performance etc.

I haven't seen a US Glock in person but I've heard there is a noticeable difference appearance wise in the slide finish. It is supposedly as durable but they had to change one of the chemicals used in the process to satisfy EPA regulations. Just what I've heard, no confirmation.

mountainman13 12-12-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrontierTCB (Post 1456483)

I haven't seen a US Glock in person but I've heard there is a noticeable difference appearance wise in the slide finish. It is supposedly as durable but they had to change one of the chemicals used in the process to satisfy EPA regulations. Just what I've heard, no confirmation.

The coating has changed. Tennifer had extremely bad by products. I forget the composition of the coating they use now but it is pretty close to a diamond on the Rockwell scale.
Fun fact: you can sharpen a knife on a Glock slide.

Mercator 12-12-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redscho (Post 1455602)
My friend and I were comparing our Glock 19 Gen 3s. He just got his and it is made in USA, I bought mine a year ago and it is made in Austria. When did glock start production in the USA and with which models?

The company is very secretive about its inner workings. They don't tell and don't explain. Take any Glock Annual Magazine, it is a waiting room reading, no info on any plans or developments, in fact nothing useful unless you're a Glock virgin. After reading the recent book "Glock" I believe this is a core value of its founder. Compare to SIG - open and talkative, almost exuberant. Just a different style. Anyway Glock Inc is the Great Book of Why (Unanswered)

Winchester94 12-12-2013 06:10 PM

Aren't the US made one's manufactured in Smyrna, Georgia?

Mercator 12-12-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winchester94 (Post 1456643)
Aren't the US made one's manufactured in Smyrna, Georgia?

The company HQ is Smyrna. You would know where in the US any SIG or Beretta was made by reading the slide. Not this baby.

seancslaughter 12-12-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator
The company HQ is Smyrna. You would know where in the US any SIG or Beretta was made by reading the slide. Not this baby.

funny Smyrna is also where fletc is located