Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glocks with Lead SWC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glocks with Lead SWC

Good day Guys, I was old by some creditable sources, that Glocks of any kind should no use LEAD reloads. I'd like to spend some time this winter with my reloading projects, and I've gotten some lead SWC for the .45 ACP for free. I was told that unless they're jacketed, that Glocks don't like them in general. Any truth to that.. Do they make jacketed SWC's? If the lead ones are OK to use, does anyone have any pet loads they'd like to share? Paul

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Lead bullets are a no-no in any pistol with polygonal rifling. Buy a regular rifled barrel and shoot all you want...

Old 11-23-2009, 01:28 AM   #3

Thanks Coronel, Can I get a rifled barrel for this Model? Are they avail, or is what you HAVE, you've GOT.?

Old 11-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #4

Liked 183 Times on 126 Posts

BP-
Rifled aftermarket barrels are available. Some are drop-ins and some are meant to be fitted for competition shooting. This is discussed in the video, " Making Glocks Rock " by AGI.
Shooting reloads may void your warranty.

Lead bullets lead up polygonal rifling, possibly increasing pressures and causing kabooms, a subject Canebreak posted links about in the past.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:05 AM   #5

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Please read:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/gold-dot-123gr-p-glock-19-a-10704/#post69586

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/gold-dot-123gr-p-glock-19-a-10704/#post69653

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-pistols-ticking-timebombs-13889/index2.html#post106232

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Lead bullets are a no-no in any pistol with polygonal rifling. Buy a regular rifled barrel and shoot all you want...
I never really bought into that much. My husband fired thousands of lead rounds through his HK with no problem. Ive always kind of believed that the whole KB issue came from people firing really hotloaded lead rounds, or not properly cleaning them after they were done (Glocks are indestructable ya know) then wanted to blame their idiocy on Glock.

But YMMV.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #7

Canebrake, Very helpful and thorough info you gave there. Good reading. Thanks. Paul

Old 11-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #8

For a while I had a G21 with a Storm Lake rifled barrel - shot lead just fine...

Old 11-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #9

OK, I'm convinced of the Polygonal's dislike for lead bullets and I understand the reasoning. Now!, aside from it possibly nulling any warrenty with GLock, is it wrong or a bad idea, to pursue a rifled barrel for the GLOCK 36, so that targeted lead SWC could be used to hone the skills? Shooting even the cheapest of jacketed bullets @ .50+ could get really expensive. I love to do the reloading thing. Relaxes me, puts me in a world of my own for a couple hours, and most importantly, keeps me out of trouble with the better half.. Paul

Old 11-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #10

Brownells will be happy to sell you one - that's where I bought the Storm Lake barrel for my G21...