Glocks - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 03:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Www.glockmeister.com

Old 08-17-2011, 05:04 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Trust me, you don't need nothing else to make it accurate, if you want to shoot lead then get a barrel, Federals are cheap and really good.

For target shooting get a full size or extended slide model G17 or G17L and then a new barrel will make some difference.

Internally only the 3.5# connector is all that's needed to increase accuracy out the box.

some may say strikers and springs, but in reality those will affect your reliability, I know since I got almost all the gizmos for the Glock and have used them all.

For ergos you may like the extended slide release, Pachmayr grip, if you like the extended mag release (I hate it, would sell mine for $5.00 to anyone), and nite sights, for cleanliness use the Plug.

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #13

the only thing that will make a stock gun more accurant is practice and proper technique.

A lighter trigger, a diff barrel, new sights, all they do is effect how much you take away from the gun's inherent accuracy out of the box.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
the only thing that will make a stock gun more accurant is practice and proper technique.

A lighter trigger, a diff barrel, new sights, all they do is effect how much you take away from the gun's inherent accuracy out of the box.
Ummm, that depends on the gun. A different barrel can make the gun more accurate. A lighter trigger and different sights have the ability to limit how much your technique affects the accuracy...

Lighter trigger: Allows you to shoot without as much energy being needed to break the shot thereby allowing you to keep the sights aligned.

Sights: May allow you to get a better sight picture which definitely helps accuracy.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #15

did you even read what I wrote?

You said the same thing I did.

Put the gun on a vice rest. Shoot it 5-10 times without human interference to find it's inherent accuracy then proceed to do the same with new parts.

As I said before, changing the trigger, grips, sights, etc. only changes the effects of how your human actions effect the inherent accuracy of the gun, and you'd be hard pressed in a Glock to improve on it's out of the box accuracy.

Yeah, a Storm Lake or LW barrel are better for shooting cast lead, and sure a longer barrel say, putting a 6 inch barrel in a subcompact will give you higher velocity making the gun appear more accurate, but for carry purposes, nothing you add will "Make the Gun itself, more accurate. Again, you are only trying to change how your actions effect the gun's accuracy.

No human will ever be as accurate as the gun they shoot, you can only practice to get as close to that as possible.

For me, in a carry glock, I put a 3.5 connector (as it's in all my glocks and what I train with and am used to) and an extended slide lock. I rarely use it at the range, but when doing drills and when in competition I use them a lot to shave time off my mag swaps. That said, I stand by my prior statements about nothing truly improving on a gun's own accuracy, out of the box.

Last edited by Hackett; 08-17-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I think the confusion is that your statement reads like changing the sights, trigger, etc. will make the gun less accurate. After your followup post it is clear that isn't what you meant.

I'm not sure why we're arguing about mechanical accuracy versus applied accuracy, I might have missed something in a previous post. Yes, the mechanical accuracy of the gun is superior to nearly every shooter's ability, but if modifications impact the shooter's ability to use the firearm proficiently, then they improve the shooter's overall accuracy.

Beyond the mechanical accuracy issue, I think you're trying to advocate for practice over gadgetry, something I agree with 100%. Knowing how to shoot, and practicing with the gun out of the box will help you exponentially more than hanging gadgets on the gun. Of course, if you already shoot the gun well, and you find a mod that helps you do that easier, it is probably worth the investment.

For the record, my Glock pistols get a 3.5 lb connector, the Glock factory extended slide stop, and if the gun has the plastic Glock sights I replace those as well. (It's no wonder my Glock 35 was one of my favorite guns, since it came from the factory with the parts I like).

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill