Glock vs HighPoint - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock vs HighPoint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the Hi-Point is not a bad choice for a pistol if a person is on an extreme budget and just can't afford more. they have their good points, such as, decently accurate, solidly built, excellent warranty and a good CS department. the bad is, they are clunky and ugly, top heavy and probably not the best choice for CC!

now if you have a bigger budget, yes there are better options available than the Hi-Point.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #22
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7111 Times on 3891 Posts
Likes Given: 14389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
there are better options available than the Hi-Point.
Agreed
Old 10-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #23
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Spend $100 more and get a T33 in 9mm for $259. Same plant is also putting out a mini version for the same price. Get two, one each, for under 5 bills...
My friend wanted to trade me his wife's Hi point 380 and Cash for one of my Dads' Colts,.... Couldn't do it...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 10-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1706 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

There both made of plastic. There both ugly and when you pull the trigger they go bang.Only advantage I could see was the Glock was easier to clean and that wasn't enough. I went with the Hi-Point. If some one breaks in and steals it I will have lost 180 bucks(that includes tax) versus whatever a Glock runs these days.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I like how Glockies pretend Glocks are the only reliable pistols on the market these days.

Here's my take. Buy the hi point. Run about 200 rounds through it to break it in. Then run another hundred to test its actual reliability. If it's not reliable, send it into them for warranty work. When it comes back, test it again. Keep going until its good.

"Oh but a Block is reliable out of the box!" Fine. That may be true. I personally enjoy shooting my guns. For $150 and free warranty work if it isn't reliable, I'd say no problem if the hi point isn't reliable out of the box.

Personally I've never even held one let alone shot one. But I have shot a couple Glocks. I just don't subscribe to the Glock crowd. Hi Point is butt ugly too, but at least its inexpensive. Nowadays Glocks will run around $600 for a new one. That's what my M&P9c cost me. I see no advantage to a Glock over any other pistol that's equally reliable.

I've read a number of accounts of hi point owners who have claimed to have put several thousand rounds thru that gun with no problems. I've also read about some Glocks that have had problems, believe it or not.

No gun is infallible. Unless we're talking about the Pope's gun. :P

So, I say test the gun and make the company stand by their warranty until its reliable, if it doesn't start out that way.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #26
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
I like how Glockies pretend Glocks are the only reliable pistols on the market these days.

Here's my take. Buy the hi point. Run about 200 rounds through it to break it in. Then run another hundred to test its actual reliability. If it's not reliable, send it into them for warranty work. When it comes back, test it again. Keep going until its good.

"Oh but a Block is reliable out of the box!" Fine. That may be true. I personally enjoy shooting my guns. For $150 and free warranty work if it isn't reliable, I'd say no problem if the hi point isn't reliable out of the box.

Personally I've never even held one let alone shot one. But I have shot a couple Glocks. I just don't subscribe to the Glock crowd. Hi Point is butt ugly too, but at least its inexpensive. Nowadays Glocks will run around $600 for a new one. That's what my M&P9c cost me. I see no advantage to a Glock over any other pistol that's equally reliable.

I've read a number of accounts of hi point owners who have claimed to have put several thousand rounds thru that gun with no problems. I've also read about some Glocks that have had problems, believe it or not.

No gun is infallible. Unless we're talking about the Pope's gun. :P

So, I say test the gun and make the company stand by their warranty until its reliable, if it doesn't start out that way.
Not a "Glockite" by any stretch of the imagination. But I don't hate poly guns. I know I can find better then a Hi-point.....you get what you pay for. I'd rather pay 299 or 349 for a Bersa then 169-199 for a Hi-point,..

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 10-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #27

Liked 116 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I read a lot of posts by guys talking about "truck guns." Personally, the idea of leaving a gun in my vehicle or locked in a tool box scares the crap out of me. I don't even like leaving them locked up in my house when I'm not home but there's not much I can do about that. I just don't want the liability of having someone break into my truck, steal my pistol and use it in a crime. Plus, if I really need to use the gun I want it to be immediately accessible (in a holster). I don't want to have to run to the truck and unlock my tool box to get to it. All that said, I will echo what others have said. If you're not using it for self defense get the Hi Point. So what if it malfunctions while you're shooting at coons and possums?

Old 10-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1585 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Here is an affordable option and I doubt anyone can debate the quality of the gun. Find a used Ruger P95 with a stainless slide. It will survive harsh treatment just as well as any gun on the market. It is just as accurate and durable as a Glock. It has a better trigger than a glock. I can go on and on about the P95. I bought a new stainless Ruger P95 in the summer of 2012 for $320 out the door.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 10-12-2013 at 11:18 AM.
orangello Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #29

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I can say this much about both Hi Point and Glock. If you throw one of each pistol in a pile of cordless drills you would have a hard time finding either one of them.
I laughed so hard I moistened myself.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Here's the deal on the Glock vs. HiPoint in a tackle box:

It is highly possible that you will have a problem with either gun when you first pull it out due to dirt, debris, rust, small items in the tackle box etc. Both guns are reliable, but neither is perfect or indestructible.

So oiling them both very well, (even the parts not normally oiled should get a light sheen) and putting them in a plastic bag is a definite must. This advice is good for either gun.

Also good for either gun: EVERY TIME before you go out you should field strip it and check for rust, debris and any other problems that might develop. You should also do a function check when you put the gun back together. In addition to a usual function check, I drop a pencil down the barrel eraser first and dry fire it. If the firing pin engages, the pencil shoots across the room.

Again simply due to the chosen method of storage, you should do this every time you go out. Otherwise eventually you will end up with a problem with the gun and may never catch it before you go out.

So this means you will be field stripping this gun. A LOT.

Which means Glock. There is no way you can debate that a hi point is easier to field strip than a Glock.

You can literally field strip a Glock, blow it all off, shake it out, run a dowel through the barrel and put it back together in less than 30 seconds. I've done it in 45 seconds, blindfolded, with my wife purposefully moving the parts around on the table and dropping 1 on the floor. (We were dating, I was showing off, she was flirting.)

There are no tools needed, no pins to pull out, and no parts to push or pull into place.

You drop the mag, rack the slide a couple times, dry fire, pull the slide back while you pull the switch on both sides down and everything slides off the front of the gun. When you're done you put it back together and rack the slide.

You can't do that with a hi point. And the last thing you want when your getting your poles ready and checking over the contents of your tackle box is to have to fool with a pin while doing a weapons inspection. Especially if its a little froze up from the dust and getting banged around in the box a bit.

Mag. Rack click rack rack. "Oh looks good." Rack. Mag. Done.

Glock wins.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-12-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This